Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

Odd coolant disappearance

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd coolant disappearance

Hello everybody,

I bought an Acura TL 2003 about a month ago and I am befuddled by a strange coolant disappearance. The symptom: radiator constantly loosing coolant while reservoir tank is full. Simple solutions which I read here on forums did not help. For instance I twice changed radiator cap but the problem persists. Since I bought the car I put about 6800 mi on it and added over 4 gallons of coolant to it. Every trip of 100-250 mi I add about a cap to a quart of coolant which is getting annoying. The oil is clean (not milky) and there is not white smoke from exhaust pipes. The first time we found that the engine temperature goes up and we stopped the engine right away we found that both hoses collapsed. Then we added about a gallon of coolant. Since that time we always add coolant before every trip and hoses are not collapsing. There are no ANY drips of coolant under the car so the coolant just disappear. Last thing: one of mechanics pointed out that when hot the hoses are too firm and inflated; in his opinion this means that I have head gasket problem. Another guy told me that no way that coolant goes into engine since no way for me to damp 4 gallons of coolant into it and not getting any engine problems: the engine still runs as a clock, no misfires, engine light etc.

Most likely that issue goes for more that 6800 mi since I found in the radiator traces of red metal powder - I found the same in Walmard as "liquid copper" - cooling system sealant. I assume the seller new about the issue, tried cheap fixes and sold the car while it was still running. Currently there are over 194000 mi on it. Any ideas about the issue?

And one more question: since it is summer and I am not concern about freezing coolant, can I use distilled water instead of coolant just to save a couple of dollars? Some people told me that coolant works as lubricant for water pump and water will wear it sooner.

Thank you in advance.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Odd coolant disappearance

pressurize the system, look for leaks
Old 06-03-2017, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Put food color or get a reflective die and light kit made to do engines, to check block /head gasket run a compression check see where the ***** going it could be a small crack in block or head
Old 06-03-2017, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pressurerize system look for leaks