Notices
Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

New to the TL - what should I know?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the TL - what should I know?

I have the chance to jump on a 2006 TL - 6 Speed Manual with the Nav System that has just over 100k miles. Car is reasonably maintained with a single owner who's a friend.

It'll replace my daily driver (97 Saturn SC2 @ 281K), so it doesn't need to be fancy, but I was just wondering what are things I should be looking for, what to expect, or scheduled maintenance that I should plan for. I'm pretty comfortable for DIY repairs, as long as it doesn't need an engine hoist. The premium gas and lower MPG alone will raise my gas costs, but it may be worth it for the decade upgrade with safety and comfort features.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-24-2019, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to the TL - what should I know?

The few big issues that come to mind are dash cracks (they all will crack eventually), since its at 100k if it hasn't been done already it will need the 105k mile service done, TB, WP, etc... The manuals are known for third gear issues I believe, most people go the GM friction modified (I would have to double check that) syncomesh to help with that. Since its getting up there in age anything rubber can always be a potential issue, seals, bushings, etc...Possible P/S pump rebuild or replace needed, when it gets colder out some of the seals aren't quite perfect anymore and can lead to whining. Most issues, if any, will come from just the age of the car. But other than that, they are quite, comfortable and can still pull 30+ mpg if you drive smart.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1999 Civic Si
The few big issues that come to mind are dash cracks (they all will crack eventually), since its at 100k if it hasn't been done already it will need the 105k mile service done, TB, WP, etc... The manuals are known for third gear issues I believe, most people go the GM friction modified (I would have to double check that) syncomesh to help with that. Since its getting up there in age anything rubber can always be a potential issue, seals, bushings, etc...Possible P/S pump rebuild or replace needed, when it gets colder out some of the seals aren't quite perfect anymore and can lead to whining. Most issues, if any, will come from just the age of the car. But other than that, they are quite, comfortable and can still pull 30+ mpg if you drive smart.
Thanks for the tips! Looks like everything I need to know.
Looking at some videos, would you recommend the TB and WP change in engine? I have access to a garage and hand-tools and try to save a few bucks where I can.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blueknigh7
Thanks for the tips! Looks like everything I need to know.
Looking at some videos, would you recommend the TB and WP change in engine? I have access to a garage and hand-tools and try to save a few bucks where I can.
You could wait for the MID to pop up the service code for the TB, assuming the MID was reset at roughly the right times and nothing too crazy happened with the car it should pop up around 105k give or take a bit. At this point though the belt is 13 years old, if you have some time and extra cash I would go ahead and take care of it, not going to hurt anything. But you could also ride it out for a bit until the MID tells you to do it. There are plenty of people who have went way past the recommended service amount, usually what starts to go first is the tensionor for the TB. The OEM belts are pretty strong as well, I have seen a few that went upwards of 300k miles and just look a little worn.

EDIT:
Some people also recommend changing the cam seals, front main seal & resealing the oil pump while you have it all apart. Relatively cheap for the parts, but just adds some time.