Notices
Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

MDX and HID...what gives

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MDX and HID...what gives

Why couldn't Acura include HIDs with the MDX which is a luxury suv. Heck even the Prius has HIDs as well as every other luxury SUV out there. To Acura.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MDX and HID...what gives (DannyITR)

I think they were too lazy to design an auto-leveling system for their SUVs. Also, the MDX has sold very well, so there really wasnt much incentive for Acura to add features like HID. I am pretty sure that the next gen MDX coming out next year will have HID, as well as the RDX.

BTW the MDX's since the mid model refresh have halogen projectors. I have seen pictures of the output; its actually not that bad.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MDX and HID...what gives (corey415)

I thought the did have HID lights?????
Old 12-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MDX and HID...what gives (DA-nteg)

NO Honda/Acura suv/minivan is euipped with HID for the USDM market. The MDX and Pilot both originally had halogen reflectors, and they both were updated with halogen projectors at their respective Mid Model Change.

It is an improvement, but its not HID.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:09 PM
Me Gusta History

Default Re: MDX and HID...what gives (DannyITR)

there are laws that prevent HIDs being used on SUVs without following some strict guidelines, I assume they just didnt want to bother...

Honda has been really behind the HID thing...
Old 12-01-2005, 07:49 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: MDX and HID...what gives (accordselux)

just be glad they arent blinding like those bastard blue xenons a few years ago.

Ive driven a 05 MDX, and the halogen projectors are fantastic with a sharp cut off. I see no need. Also, the car starts under 50 grand, maybe that was their goal.

Also, the Prius is a marketing tool. Why a light car has the expensive (and slight weight adding) HIDs is beyond me. The car is a piece. The civic hybrid in tests does better. It does NOT do the claimed 70mpg, it does closer to 45mpg. A european diesel hatch can beat that mileage. ****, my 96 civic sedan does 35. Im sure an old Corolla could be modified to kick out 45mpg. Ive seen the Insight do 100mpg from some guy that learned how to drive it slowly.

P.S. expletive Toyota. The new Lexus...we have invented a light that turns before you do...they said that a few years ago. Except the moving headlight was invented by Tucker in the 1940s. But nice try again Lexus. The Rx400h, the first performance hybrid suv (was their magazine ad i saw today). performance RX...yeah, okay.

Sorry bout the rant.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:28 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: MDX and HID...what gives (Redline96LX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redline96LX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
P.S. expletive Toyota. The new Lexus...we have invented a light that turns before you do...they said that a few years ago. Except the moving headlight was invented by Tucker in the 1940s. But nice try again Lexus.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Seriously, is that not some funny ****.. Preston Tucker was way ahead of his time.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MDX and HID...what gives (Kenso)

I dont see why the MDX couldnt be equipped with HID's...my FX35 is in the same market bracket as the MDX and it came with HID's (dual HID's with manual and road sensing self adjusting projector housings actually)...NO stock halogen headlight setup in a projector housing will give you better visibility than an HID system...it just doesnt work that way.

The MDX wasnt equipped with the lights because Acura didnt want to mess with trying to make a headlight housing to compete with Infiniti and Lexus, its as simple as that. It had nothing to do with cost (because at most places if it is optional, it is only about $500-$800, and on a luxury SUV, that is NOTHING)...it also had nothing to do with the laws, as they easily fixed that issue by providing varying levels of HID light intensity by offering dual xenon setups (like almost all SUVs have that come with HIDs).

I also want to comment on the Prius bashing up top...im not a Toyota fan, but you cannot discredit the Prius based solely on its gas mileage estimates. You do realize that the car was manufactured for several reasons, not just good mpg right? Emmissions standards is truthfully the MAIN reason the car was built, then you have great gas mileage, then on the consumer's side, you have cheaper gas prices because of the size of tha gas tank itself on the car, you also have your tax breaks, etc etc etc. So to try and discredit the car simply because other cars can achieve the same or close mpg...its silly man, you have to look at the whole picture. The fact that the car offers a few little luxury items (like HIDs, LED taillights and blinkers, a decent stereo system and an HVAC system that actually works worth a damn)...it just gives the car a little more curb appeal to future consumers.

You also made a comment about the Lexus headlight system being a "copy" of a system that was introduced on the Tucker's...well, before i even go into that, go back and take a look at what exactly the Tucker had as "adjustible headlights" (its something that was also used on several 1950's and 1960's Buicks and Caddys)...and then look at what Lexus did, you'll understand then why your comments are kind of moot...
Old 12-02-2005, 07:02 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: MDX and HID...what gives (hypnosisracing)

MAY I point out then when my dad was shopping for the 05 MDX that he currently leases, he looked at a few things. He wanted an EXTREMELY safe car (which it is) with good visibility, and at the time needed a lot of space in the back. He had to haul around all these big *** boxes for some trade show. Compare price. The MDX was close to the price of the Lexus RX300, and the MDX was so much bigger for storage in the back. The Lexus GX though was close to the same size, but the MDX has better fuel economy, its faster, and costs 15 grand less. Lexus has a "badge appeal" that you pay for, like a BMW. Most people with Acuras wont really be snobs, because the Acura is the 'sensible choice'. The FX45 has a LOT less space, and also he didnt consider the FX45 because its just too ugly.

So the MDX I'm gonna say might not have the HIDs because of cost, however because of the current market, i can guarantee you the next one will, simply because everyone else does, and its gotta compete like that.

Regarding the moving headlights, in the commercial it really did sound like Lexus was a total innovator and created a "new idea" for moving headlights. Now they didnt, and their system is better, but I felt it strongly implied that this was a new idea they had, and the idea itself was not new, rather an improvement on an older system for that idea.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmm...ugly, i personllay found the MDX both ugly and bland, but opinions will be opinions.

Acura has to put HID's on the next version...they'd be silly not to.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:53 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: MDX and HID...what gives (hypnosisracing)

I wouldnt call it ugly, cause its really not. Bland....beyond anything. Its sides are just like they didnt bother to style them. almost as bad as the Cayanne.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:14 AM

i think the MDX is very nice looking. I'd definitely get one if i was a rich.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MDX and HID...what gives (HDNBenjamin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wouldnt call it ugly, cause its really not. Bland....beyond anything. Its sides are just like they didnt bother to style them. almost as bad as the Cayanne.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You wouldnt call it ugly because you like the styling...just like on the other side of the fence, where you find (or your dad finds) the Infiniti FX to be ugly...where i find it to be quite stylish, unique and honestly...some of the best lines on an SUV ive seen on the market. But again...opinions are opinions.