Notices
Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

Honda fluids

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda fluids

I'm totally new to this, so if I'm not doing/asking properly, someone please set me straight.
My question is is it ok/advisable to use fluids other than those from Honda. For instance, VTM -4 differential fluid. I haven't priced this yet, but if it is substantially higher cost than one from an auto parts store, made by a company I recognize, should I still buy the Honda product? Obviously Honda's product would be made by another company, but would/could Honda have set different, maybe better specs? Same question regards anti-freeze, brake fluid (synthetic ok?), transmission fluid, etc.
Thanks
Old 08-03-2014, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda fluids

Always recommended to use honda products on a daily driven car. Anti freeze shouldnt be that big of an issue, I dont use the ones with rust inhibitors. Since are engines are aluminum.

Put it this way how often are you going to be changing your diff fluids? I meen regular maintenance wise every 30k or so.. Thats like two years for some people. Dont be cheap buy honda I personally only use honda genuine or ams oil products in my car.

Brake fluid wise check what kind your vehicle needs. An buy whatever one best suites you, Its not an issue. Unless your racing you will need a higher temp resistant fluid..

Transmission fluid is your car manual or automatic? Automatic- I would def recommend using honda. Manual- i use honda mtf or ams oil synchromesh. Hope this helps.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:24 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Amsoil automatic trans fluid
Old 08-09-2014, 03:09 AM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spoolymcgee
Always recommended to use honda products on a daily driven car. Anti freeze shouldnt be that big of an issue, I dont use the ones with rust inhibitors. Since are engines are aluminum.

Put it this way how often are you going to be changing your diff fluids? I meen regular maintenance wise every 30k or so.. Thats like two years for some people. Dont be cheap buy honda I personally only use honda genuine or ams oil products in my car.

Brake fluid wise check what kind your vehicle needs. An buy whatever one best suites you, Its not an issue. Unless your racing you will need a higher temp resistant fluid..

Transmission fluid is your car manual or automatic? Automatic- I would def recommend using honda. Manual- i use honda mtf or ams oil synchromesh. Hope this helps.
um you still need the corrosion inhibiting ones, aluminum corrodes not rusts, especially in the environment the cooling system exists in, and ALWAYS use distilled water in a system with aluminum components never mix the antifreeze with tap water
Old 08-09-2014, 03:13 AM
longest project ever

be sure to always use genuine honda blinker fluid, or the blinkers can blink too fast or too slow, I'm sure if the stealership could get away with it, they would sell you Honda brand air for your tires, the main thing though is the PS fluid, don't use anything but Honda fluid, or a good equivalent designed for Honda systems, the Nappa fluid designed for Honda is good, I've never had an issue, it's still pricy but a little bit cheaper then the dealer
Old 08-09-2014, 03:22 AM
longest project ever

see your bulbs will get leaks and some of the blinker fluid will escape, Oreilies sells new bulb seals and filaments for the bulbs, plus Honda equivalent blinker fluid, if you use the honda fluid the lights will blink blink-blink-blink if you use the prestone, it corrodes the bulb seals and they will blink like blinkblinkblink-blink-blink and possibly possibly blow the fuse for the blinker fluid pump
Old 08-09-2014, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks lost I didnt think you would go into such detail..lol great write up bud. , see the trick to filling up the blinker fluid is leaving the bulb sit overnight.

In a pitcher or a bucket what have you. You need to weigh the bulb down or put something on it for it too soak properly thats the hard part... Good Luck
Old 08-09-2014, 11:23 AM
longest project ever

seriously the main thing is to use the right power steering fluid or it will destroy the system, antifreeze, almost every car on the road now is mostly aluminum, so any good antifreeze should have corrosion inhibitors for it. and dont use tap water,ever, the minerals in it will eat away the surfaces inside of the cooling system when it heats up, I already knew about weighing down the bulbs in blinker fluid overnight to prime them