Notices
Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

Excelerate J-Pipe Review/Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excelerate J-Pipe Review/Issues

Recently picked up a J-Pipe directly from Excelerate. As of past experience it was always best to deal direct with a company who makes the part. I read a bunch of marketing for this thing claiming high gains of as high of 30 WTQ! I had to have it . I was excited when I got the box and tore into it like little boy on Christmas morning.

It took me some time to heat the huts to remove them without snapping any studs. Besides that the install was straight forward. As I removed the TypeS J pipe I noticed how heavy it was comparing to the Excelerate pipe. What I did notice as well is that the stock J-pipe on the TypeS isn't looking to be as restrictive as claimed. It does pancake but in a way where the volumetric efficiency doesn't seem to change as it goes into a larger single pipe and then into a very large high flow cat. Haven't seen the base TL's pipe but this one looked to be very well designed. First I put a couple of nuts on the header side to just hold up the pipe some to give me some room to install the hanger onto the bushing and thats when I ran into problems. The hanger rod on the pipe was welded to high and when installed it was pinching the rubber hanger vs fitting lose as intended.

This picture was taken after my test drive and the pipe did beat agains the hanger and stock bracket and actually worked itself a bit more lose than it was on the initial install. Note that the hanging rod is slightly bent where it meets the pipe. I also felt vibration and reverberations into the cabin as I started up the car and during my drive.

Even though it was advertised not to need any cutting done these clearances are to close for my comfort. IMO when it gets hot it would melt the belly pen.

I havent initially let it rip because I wanted the part to heat cycle and whatever minimal changes in flow there could have been, I wanted the ECU to make necessary changes. I know there is no 02 sensors besides the ones right passed the pre cats but still better be safe than sorry. I then did a few runs averaging about 6 seconds to 60. I didn't feel any gains nor did my time showed any improvement from stock advertised 5.5 seconds to 60. I was a bit disappointed on top of the other issues I have experienced with the install. Needless to say it made less and less sense to keep this $450 dollar part.

Couple days later I took off the type in favor of the stock TypeS unit. I went out to home Depot to pick up some pine straw for my gardening project. I took my wife along with me. I decided to test out the system as the weather was roughly the same a on the night i tested the excelerate pipe. I ran consistent 5.5 0-60 with 60 foot about 2.37 . THe car felt stronger than with excelerate pipe and I had numbers to show the same. On top of having a passenger I had a bail of straw in the trunk.

I have been actively engaged in trying to have this resolved with Excelerate. Preferably I was hoping to return the part for a refund. I was told it could not be possible as the policy states you cannot return previously installed part. Now, how one must know the part is defective or not fitting right or sold not as described if you not going to install/test it? I was also told that there were many units sold with no issues and no one ever had a problem. According to Excelerate I have no credibility. I returned the pipe to Excelerate's address in NJ and started a credit charge dispute with my bank as I was getting nowhere by talking to them. It is my policy to not get ripped off. There is also consumer laws in place just to deal with these situations. I would not spend my money on the inferior product that is lacking in quality and is clearly not as described. This is not how a customer should be treated, shame on you Excelerate.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Excelerate J-Pipe Review/Issues

To begin, we've already discussed this via email but since you want to address this on the forums we will reiterate it for you. Our Return Policy is laid out right on our website:

http://store.excelerateperformance.com/return-policy

You agree to these terms when your process an order. It states:

All authorized return merchandise must be new, unused, and in its original saleable packaging, and must also include all hardware and documentation.

A Returned Merchandise Authorization must be obtained before any returns can be made. We will not accept any returns without an RMA.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Your j-pipe was installed. It is not new and unused.

The reason the customer gave me for wanting to return the j-pipe was:

The issue is the hanger rod on the pipe is not bent down enough to be properly installed on the car. There is no heat shields to protect some of the components like the stock pipe has and that is also a concern ( it does radiate a lot of heat) There is a change in sound as well which I am not a big fan of. I really don't think the price and advertised gains are worth the money spent.
__________________________________________________ ______________

Now, if there is an issue with the hanger we could help him resolve it. I was asking him to take pictures of the hanger as it's possible it got damaged in shipping but honestly this would be the first time our V2 j-pipe ever had a fitment issue. But he sent back the j-pipe before he sent any pictures. And he sent it back without an RMA, so obviously it was going to be refused.

Also, the real issue seems to be for him that he has buyer's remorse. There is a picture of the item on the website. Nowhere is there a heat shield on it and honestly the heat shields on the factory j-pipe aren't achieving much anyways. Also, he didn't like the change in sound. And he didn't "think" the gains were there.

None of these are reasons to return a product you already installed. Sorry. I was clear but polite throughout the entire process but the customer wants to do it his way. He has even filed a chargeback now he says, which really create a big issue. I even offered him a discount on something else to try to help him offset his costs but he told me:

This is not the way to treat a Veteran.

I wasn't really sure what that meant because we treated him with respect from the beginning. Policies are in place for all customers and the policy was agreed to when the order was placed. I'm sorry we couldn't resolve this but unfortunately you have a one-track way of ending this scenario. And with a chargeback you've paved the way for what it will be.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Excelerate
To begin, we've already discussed this via email but since you want to address this on the forums we will reiterate it for you. Our Return Policy is laid out right on our website:

http://store.excelerateperformance.com/return-policy

You agree to these terms when your process an order. It states:

All authorized return merchandise must be new, unused, and in its original saleable packaging, and must also include all hardware and documentation.

A Returned Merchandise Authorization must be obtained before any returns can be made. We will not accept any returns without an RMA.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Your j-pipe was installed. It is not new and unused.

The reason the customer gave me for wanting to return the j-pipe was:

The issue is the hanger rod on the pipe is not bent down enough to be properly installed on the car. There is no heat shields to protect some of the components like the stock pipe has and that is also a concern ( it does radiate a lot of heat) There is a change in sound as well which I am not a big fan of. I really don't think the price and advertised gains are worth the money spent.
__________________________________________________ ______________

Now, if there is an issue with the hanger we could help him resolve it. I was asking him to take pictures of the hanger as it's possible it got damaged in shipping but honestly this would be the first time our V2 j-pipe ever had a fitment issue. But he sent back the j-pipe before he sent any pictures. And he sent it back without an RMA, so obviously it was going to be refused.

Also, the real issue seems to be for him that he has buyer's remorse. There is a picture of the item on the website. Nowhere is there a heat shield on it and honestly the heat shields on the factory j-pipe aren't achieving much anyways. Also, he didn't like the change in sound. And he didn't "think" the gains were there.

None of these are reasons to return a product you already installed. Sorry. I was clear but polite throughout the entire process but the customer wants to do it his way. He has even filed a chargeback now he says, which really create a big issue. I even offered him a discount on something else to try to help him offset his costs but he told me:

This is not the way to treat a Veteran.

I wasn't really sure what that meant because we treated him with respect from the beginning. Policies are in place for all customers and the policy was agreed to when the order was placed. I'm sorry we couldn't resolve this but unfortunately you have a one-track way of ending this scenario. And with a chargeback you've paved the way for what it will be.
From the 1st e mail you made its evident that you really don't care about how it fits or performs no matter what I do. As the return policy states you cant do anything about it anyways. That makes buying from you a gamble, you either get a part that fits or you don't but cant return it either way. You can write whatever in your policy but it wont matter to me if I get a part that is NOT AS DESCRIBED. What would that mean to you? You violated the law and didn't not hold up your part of the deal. That makes the deal null and void no matter your personal policy set for your personal gains.

I didn't simply not like the Pipe as you state. Its best you say that as you are trying to discredit me and make an idiot out of me. I didn't not expect you to come here and apologize as you haven't in the past. If you did, this would be non issue and we wouldn't be here today.

As of RMA its just as bogus as your policy. I couldn't force you to give it to me even though in my very first email I asked you for one. You knew perfectly well I sent this thing back since I sent you an E-mail to which you have replied. If you tell me you don't know who it was from it also said returns and had my name on it. You did rip into the box to satisfy your curiosity.

I presented my findings to the forum and the word is out on your practices. I wouldn't doubt you have followers that will be trying to tell me I am wrong. I cant convince them otherwise but show them that this product has plenty of issues. If you sold hundreds of defective items to customers in the past and got away with it doesn't make it ok.

Just so you know, the charge back is not the only thing I could initiate in this case. I hope I successfully re-eiterated this for you so there is no doubt in your mind where I am coming from and you will cease to assume stuff and put it on here as facts. Please tell me this, was it all that hard to just give a customer a refund? You would rather waste time to argue on forums trying to bend the truth to the way it suits your interest and possible jeopardize the companies reputation by doing so?

Mind telling me how its going to end for me, not clear to what you mean? Are you threatening me?
Old 03-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BKS2k
From the 1st e mail you made its evident that you really don't care about how it fits or performs no matter what I do. As the return policy states you cant do anything about it anyways. That makes buying from you a gamble, you either get a part that fits or you don't but cant return it either way. You can write whatever in your policy but it wont matter to me if I get a part that is NOT AS DESCRIBED. What would that mean to you? You violated the law and didn't not hold up your part of the deal. That makes the deal null and void no matter your personal policy set for your personal gains.

I didn't simply not like the Pipe as you state. Its best you say that as you are trying to discredit me and make an idiot out of me. I didn't not expect you to come here and apologize as you haven't in the past. If you did, this would be non issue and we wouldn't be here today.

As of RMA its just as bogus as your policy. I couldn't force you to give it to me even though in my very first email I asked you for one. You knew perfectly well I sent this thing back since I sent you an E-mail to which you have replied. If you tell me you don't know who it was from it also said returns and had my name on it. You did rip into the box to satisfy your curiosity.

I presented my findings to the forum and the word is out on your practices. I wouldn't doubt you have followers that will be trying to tell me I am wrong. I cant convince them otherwise but show them that this product has plenty of issues. If you sold hundreds of defective items to customers in the past and got away with it doesn't make it ok.

Just so you know, the charge back is not the only thing I could initiate in this case. I hope I successfully re-eiterated this for you so there is no doubt in your mind where I am coming from and you will cease to assume stuff and put it on here as facts. Please tell me this, was it all that hard to just give a customer a refund? You would rather waste time to argue on forums trying to bend the truth to the way it suits your interest and possible jeopardize the companies reputation by doing so?

Mind telling me how its going to end for me, not clear to what you mean? Are you threatening me?
Sadly, you made an idiot out of yourself, first person I have come across that has had a issue with one of xlr8's jpipes. they make power, its been dyno proven. I have bought numerous things from xlr8 and never had a problem. Goodluck with your chargeback,
Old 03-02-2013, 02:34 PM
Trial User

^^^Lets see some proof to back up your statement . Mainly it being "dyno proven". And no you cant use one from their site and it had to be a Type S, since it has low cell count cats that are high flow. Cant wait to be proven to be an "idiot". Good luck.