Notices
Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

Is this a dealer quality quarter panel replacement?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a dealer quality quarter panel replacement?!

I bought a 2012 TL AWD about 5 months ago, and a little over 1 month ago, an idiot backed into the car in my girlfriends driveway. Here are some pictures of the damage from that idiot:

I thought the best place to get the car repaired would be my local Acura dealer. Over a month and $8200 later, I received the car, picked it up late last week. I've been noticing little details that bother me about the repair.

The very first thing I noticed was the gas door wasn't aligned as well as it was from the factory. Then over the next couple days I noticed some more defects. I can see some very minor deflection where they joined the new quarter panel to the old one above the LR door. The gap between the trunk and quarter panel on the left side is not nearly as tight as the right side. The gap between the quarter panel and the chrome roof molding looks excessive. Then just last night, I noticed the tail light was pushed into the quarter and actually lifting the paint. Below are pictures of everything. I included a picture of the gas door however it doesn't really look bad unless you saw how it looked from the factory.

Would you accept this as a dealer quality repair if it were your car? At first, I thought to myself "wellit got hit, it will never be perfect again", but now I'm starting to think that they just did a shitty job. What are your thoughts? Thanks.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:41 AM
No Jodas

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Is this a dealer quality quarter panel replacement?!

That looks like a shoddy job. I can also see lots of orange peel and residual sanding marks or swirls in the paint.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:56 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

They just pulled the panel and repainted it. Take that **** back and tell them to fix it. And before you bring it in have one more look, take pictures at dif angles then bring it in. You'll have before and after images.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the replies, I'm glad it's not just me who thinks the work is of poor quality. In your personal opinions, if they tell me that it will never be perfect again, should I call Honda/Acura of America or should I just immediately go to legal action?
Old 07-20-2017, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well they said they're going to fix it, how I do not know... will have to see. I have a feeling to fix the panel gaps between the trunk and quarter, they're just gonna shift the trunk lid over a few mm. I'll post some updated pics when I get it back for some unbiased opinions.