Notices
Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

Acura TL starter problem!? please help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acura TL starter problem!? please help!

I think I have a starter problem or a solenoid problem, please help and confirm.
I own a 98 TL 3.2 Acura which has 70K miles. The problem is intermittent some days it acts up, some days it doesn't. When i turn the ignition key, I only hear a click, "tac, tac, tac", sound and nothing happen after. If I continue clicking the key, it may catch some spot, or click the correct spot and it started up immediately after that. I changed the new battery it seems to help for a week, and then the old problem comes back again. Some days, I got lucky and it will start on one turn of the ignition key!! I am thinking that the solenoid or the starter relay coil doesn't click in correctly and wont start the car.

Please advice.
Thanks.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Acura TL starter problem!? please help! (amature123)

you have a starter going out it is pretty common on that body style tl and it is no fun to replace you have to pull the left axle and motor mount and what ever you do do not go aftermarket try to buy factory if you can its a lil more but trust me it is well worth the extra cause afermarket will not last i know from experience i work at acura dealer ...................good luck
Old 10-08-2007, 07:13 PM

Default Re: Acura TL starter problem!? please help! (tltypes02)

thank you! since you work at the Acura dealer, may I ask how much it would normally cost to fix/replace the starter?
Old 10-09-2007, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I just replaced the starter on my 2.2CL. Most aftermarket starters have a lifetime warrenty. I picked mine up for $155 at Advance Auto Parts.

If you hear the click, then the solenoid is working. The brass contacts are probably worn out, and you'll need to replace it. That's what happened to mine.

If you get it off, take it to a local Autoparts store and they'll test it for free.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:13 AM

Default Re: Acura TL starter problem!? please help! (Blazin Si)

yeah, i was thinking that the starter brass contact is wearing out. I can rebuild it if I can find the same brass contract at the local electronic store. I remember there is only 2 nuts that tie the starter to the transmition gear. But my friend above from the dealer said it is not that simple, I may have to pull out the left axle and the motor mount..that scares me.

If it cost about $200 buck I may let the professional do it.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:50 PM

the starter alone is like 350 i think??? and its about 2.5 to 3 hours labor sorry for the bad news another note a lot of aftermarket starters are larger so it makes for a tight as if it werent tight enough already get back at me if u need nething
Old 10-09-2007, 06:09 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Acura TL starter problem!? please help! (tltypes02)

You can usually just replace the contacts in the starter solenoid. Getting the starter out is kind of a pain if you've never done it before on one of these TL's. I wouldn't replace the whole starter, not really necessary.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:52 AM

Default Re: Acura TL starter problem!? please help! (Kenso)

Well, i know a friend of a friend who is a machanic. I brought the car to him for repair and replace the starter. he estimated it was about 2-3 hundreds. So, I let him do it. I also called the Acura dealer first, but they estimated it would cost 880 + tax!!? I was speechless when I heard that. I know they will do a good job and replace the starter with geniul part, but for 880 bucks!?

Anyway, my friend fixed it in half of the day, and he said it was a pain as he has to drop the motor axle, di..da..di..da, but he charged me only $140 buck and said he rebuilt the starter and replace the worn out brass contact. He said some car's starter won't let him rebuild it, but this one he was able to do it. I am glad now. The car is staring fine now.

Thank you everyone. I guess it depends on your money pocket, but I think the best way is to rebuild the starter for this type of car, and you can assure that the same old starter is still in the car :-).
Old 02-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Acura TL starter problem!? please help!

Came here looking for the fix for the same problem on my 98 Acura 2.5 TL. I have not jacked up the car yet and located the starter, so am I to assume my model will also require removal of a drive axle? The 2.5 engine is an inline install, not transverse. I have a Chilton's or similar service manual. I will have a look at it but any response of advice is appreciated.

Here is a second problem that came up a few weeks after I purchased it used. On some damp mornings, it simply refuses to start, despite the fact it seems to initialize all the computer functions, relays under dash can be heard clicking, all dask lights/symbols display normally, etc. when ignition is first turned on, and was cranking over fine prior to the starter issue, but clearly fuel or spark is not there. Any suggestion?

On my 92 Honda Accord, resoldering a broken/cold solder joint on a main relay board under the driver side dash solved a similar problem. 5 cents worth of solder saved me the cost of a + $30.00 relay. No telling how many other relays were needlessly replaced for the same problem.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Trial User

i have just bought a 2001 honda legend 3.5 v6 auto, great car! when it starts! what i mean is i think that the starter motor is on its way out, so i am either going to replace it or recondition it, if i could only find out how to get it off the engine, as there aint a lot of room in there. anyone out there who has tackled this job please please i'm all ears!!!
Many Thanks
Seamy
Old 08-18-2017, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi all..I had an intermittent starter problem for a while, would just click, or not.. After much investigation and a new starter battery, and before I pulled out the starter motor, I put a new battery in the KEY.. hey presto all go..
Moral to the story is.. Change your key battery after about 3 to 4 years.. Had my RL Ka9 1996 Legend now 11 years now.. bought second hand at 110,000kms..Great car, easy to work on to general maintenance and replacement parts. 330,000kms with no major problems. Still enjoy it. Ran it on LPG for 10yrs.. Cheers Peter.