Notices
Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

Acura TL Blower motor issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acura TL Blower motor issue

Hey there! I'm new to this forum and have been checking out various topics and I have one myself. I hope someone out there can point me in the right direction.
I have a 2006 Acura TL. A few weeks ago the blower motor started giving a few quick blasts of air from time to time at a higher setting than what I had it on. This went on randomly for a couple of weeks. Then the other night when I started it up it was blowing at the top speed even though I had it on the lowest setting.
Has anyone heard of this problem? I'm not sure if its the blower motor resistor, relay, or the blower motor itself. I'm not too mechanically inclined but I'd prefer to try and sort this out myself. I removed the glove box and disconnected the resistor to stop it running. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Old 12-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Acura TL Blower motor issue

Wrong forum. Should be in the Acura TL/RL/ZDX section.

But, I am a Licensed Acura tech, I'll put you in the right direction.

Change out the blower motor "transistor" unit (over time they develop shorts inside the unit and will run at 12volts (full speed) no matter what setting you have selected.

If I remember correctly there may have been a service bulletin for the blower motor sub-harness connection/melting issues, in which case the blower motor, transistor unit and sub-harness will need to be replaced.

But, if you said the blower will only work on the highest setting, and all the connections look okay, it usually always means the transistor unit is faulty.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4genaccordfreak
Wrong forum. Should be in the Acura TL/RL/ZDX section.

But, I am a Licensed Acura tech, I'll put you in the right direction.

Change out the blower motor "transistor" unit (over time they develop shorts inside the unit and will run at 12volts (full speed) no matter what setting you have selected.

If I remember correctly there may have been a service bulletin for the blower motor sub-harness connection/melting issues, in which case the blower motor, transistor unit and sub-harness will need to be replaced.

But, if you said the blower will only work on the highest setting, and all the connections look okay, it usually always means the transistor unit is faulty.
X2
Old 12-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Trial User

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I already have the transistor on order. I thought I'd start with the least expensive fix first. Hopefully thats the problem. I'll make sure I'm in the right forum next time. Thanks again!