Notices
Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

Acura Legend Cylinder head to NSX heads?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (ZylexSNL)

The USDM legend and the honda legends have always had basically the same body. besides small detailing, they have had the same general shape throughout the years.

first and 2nd generation legends are TOTALLY different. The way the 2nd generation is not a normal FWD setup. the engine/trasmission is MF (midship front wheel drive) ZERO other cars are setup the same way. A few manufacturers use the same longitudinal setup, but in those, the driveshafts are mounted behind the engine. 2nd generation legends, the engine is mount over the driveshafts, helping a lot with weight distribution. the driveshafts actually go through the oil pan if you want to get technical.

The first generation was just a normal front wheel drive setup. first generation legends had a horizontally mounted engine (i.e. transverse) it goes horizontally across the front of the car.

barely any of you actually know what you are talking about. there is ONE turbo first generation legend that I have ever heard of, and he was just in sport compact car magazine, and there is ONE turbocharged 2nd gen legend, but it is a full race car, and does not work.

and anyway you all have gotten way off topic. unless money was not an object, putting NSX heads on a legend and making it actually work is completely non practical. it would be smarter to put the entire NSX engine in, along with the transmission, have new gears made, and have a custom ECU made. which would cost a good $10000, if not more. you are more than welcome to try, but its really not worth it. bore out a 3.2, put higher compression pistons in, get new connecting rods made, do a lot of head work, a lot of intake manifold work, get headers made, get new coil packs, new ignition, and you would be good to go. if you really want to make your legend fast, then just do it. but dont plan on doing it without a crapload of cash.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You are right RangerJoe, but the first gen legend did come in turbo in Japan. They are really rare.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:51 PM

Default Re: (ITAcelica)

whats wrong with the stock legend ECU with an rpm switch for Vtec.
therefore bypassing you guys' BS with the drivetrain/ECU problem
Old 12-21-2003, 02:45 PM

Default Re: (tHIS oNE)

lol, i bet you want to pay to have a custom ECU set up.

wait, no you dont. any kind of custom work is NOT worth it. you would have better luck putting the whole engine in the legend, along with a 6 speed from a legend.....

i just say build up the legend motor, VTEC isnt that cool.
Old 12-21-2003, 06:37 PM

Default Re: (RangerJoe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RangerJoe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol, i bet you want to pay to have a custom ECU set up.

wait, no you dont. any kind of custom work is NOT worth it. you would have better luck putting the whole engine in the legend, along with a 6 speed from a legend.....

i just say build up the legend motor, VTEC isnt that cool.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your an idiot.
for one thing all you have explained did not pertain to the direct question
DO THE HEADS BOLT ONTO THE MOTOR.

for another thing, countless people have managed to put Vtec swaps in their cars and spent the money for "custom" ecu work.

Another things is their is many alternatives to "custom" ECU's
things like Rpm switches, AFC's, haltec, AEM, DFI, feilds, etc....
Old 12-22-2003, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tHIS oNE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your an idiot.
for one thing all you have explained did not pertain to the direct question
DO THE HEADS BOLT ONTO THE MOTOR.</TD></TR></TABLE>

After reading this entire thread, I've come to the same conclusion. It seems all anyone has done is a lot of INTERNET reading and never any research on your own.

Also, VTEC solenoids are just a simple switch, any RPM activated switch will do the cross over for you.....AND you can just get pills to adjust it to your liking!

The fuel, how the hell do you think people manage any other modified engine! NO **** you will have to get an ECU hack

Stop your bitchin' if you don't want to do it, don't
Do not attempt to discourage others who are willing to try.

to you RangerJoe.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:29 PM

Default Re: (Spade)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spade &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

to you RangerJoe.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you
Old 12-24-2003, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tHIS oNE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thank you </TD></TR></TABLE>

no, thank you
Old 12-25-2003, 04:33 PM

Default Re: (Spade)

I have answered the original question. The heads are too wide, and the oil channels do not line up to the legend bottom end. The heads will not clear the strut towers. I have not only done a lot of research on this, a friend of mine HAS attempted the swap. He lives in my town, and has done a lot of modifying to his car.

The thing about modifying civics ECUs or integra ECUs is that anyone that can reburn chips, or directly change the ECU, is that you can buy the equipment from companies that do this, as in, its an option. Why do you think there are only TWO options for chips for the 2nd gen legend? and one of them is simply a detuned version of the other. Any kind of manufacturing for the legend, especially custom work is expensive. And very much so a trial and error time. Why do you also think we do not have aftermarket headers available? because the one person that has been researching and building headers for a while, ran out of money. The legend is a very different car when it comes to pretty much everything. Tuning is even more difficult, because of the stock VIS system that is in place.

Anything is possible. You can cut out the strut towers, and replace the part you cut out with a different piece, you can have new oil channels made, you can have a custom ECU made, then pay for all the tuning it is going to take to get it to work well, you can get headers made (yet another problem because the strut towers are very close to the exhaust manifolds)

Go ahead and spend the money to try and have it done, you will be better off just rebuilding the stock motor, because it is a very good platform for modification, it just needs to be done. You can have more power throughout the rev range it you do a good job on the motor, instead of just swapping the heads. Get a lighter crankshaft made, get lighter connecting rods, higher compression pistons, overbore the cylinders, get a 3 angle valve job done, port and polish the heads, port and polish the intake manifold, bored out the throttle body, and whatever else you want to do. If you are good at it, and you do it correctly, then you can get 300hp, all motor, without nitrous, or forced induction or anything. Then, not only will you have that much power normally, you will be able to put a much bigger shot of nitrous on (if you want) and get a 12 second car. I think vtec is a waste of money anyway, rebuilding a motor seems like a much better way to get more power.

And dont tell me "people do vtec head swaps all the time" yes of course they do, but those are on VERY different engines, until you own a legend, and start knowing what you are talking about specifically ABOUT the legend, shut your mouth about it.

Old 12-31-2003, 10:49 AM

Going of the topic of the nsx heads, I found this website http://www.paeco.com they do all aftermarket pistons heads cams ect. for the legend (also try) http://www.geocities.com/g1legend2/paeco.pdf
I know its expensive but I think its worth it for and its all motor Who would want a 252 let alone a 372hp legend without nitrous. BUt then you liiking to spen any where from 5,700 to 10,200 dollars
Old 12-31-2003, 10:59 AM

that place is stupidly expensive.

you can buy an NSX engine for less than that, take the connecting rods, pistons, and everything else you want.

the only thing i might look at them for is cams...
Old 12-31-2003, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ranger Joe owned u all.
Old 01-01-2004, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (92`Legend)

how?
Old 01-01-2004, 04:26 PM

Default Re: (texnteg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by texnteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldn't say owned, but I actually know what im talking about.
Old 01-01-2004, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

exactly. ...
Old 01-03-2004, 10:36 AM

you guys are something, you know that? OKay ranger joe, since paeco.com is "stupidly expensive" please tell me how can I rebuild an old 190K legend by buying a nsx engine? what parts are interchangeable?
Old 01-03-2004, 12:06 PM

Default Re: (92typeII)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92typeII &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you guys are something, you know that? OKay ranger joe, since paeco.com is "stupidly expensive" please tell me how can I rebuild an old 190K legend by buying a nsx engine? what parts are interchangeable?</TD></TR></TABLE>

anything on the bottom end is replaceable from the 3.2 NSX engine, nsx and G2 legend use the same bore, stroke, and all of that.

the block is not interchangable because of the different oil lines running through it, since it is made to bolt to the DOHC VTEC NSX heads, but you can put everything from the block into the legend block, minus the HG of course. (because of the oil lines)
Old 01-03-2004, 12:13 PM

hey can you tell me what the size is on the stock exhaust for the legend?
Old 01-03-2004, 12:34 PM

the manifold is ~1" i believe, the y pipe is 1.3" diameter on the type 1, type 2 is 1.8", then the rest of the exhaust is 2" on both type 1 and type 2....
Old 01-03-2004, 12:48 PM

by going to a 2.5 on the legend how big of a differance does it make?
Old 01-03-2004, 01:50 PM

the exhaust manifold you <U>HAVE</U> to keep pretty small, you will lose a lot of low end torque if you go too big. the best solution is to Extrude Hone the manifolds. at least as far as money goes.

the y pipe can be done safetly to 2.25" with flanges to match. then after the y pipe, you want to up it to 2.5" get a 2.5" hiflo cat (magnaflo 94006 is the best one for the fit) then 2.5" back to the muffler after the cat.

what I am going to do on my car. I am actually going to start manufacturing Y pipes for legends soon, and selling them online, but I am going to have a bolt on cat section, so i can unbolt the cat from the piping, and bolt on a straight pipe for when i go to the strip or whatever.

If you can get mandrel bent stainless steel, that is probably your best bet for the entire exhaust system (minus the manifolds)
Old 01-04-2004, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

edit: nevermind.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

but could you bolt the heads of a type 2 vtec head of the 93-95 legend ls coupes and such on a c32 bottom?
Old 01-05-2004, 06:25 PM

The type 2 legend engine was NOT VTEC. NONE of the Legends in the US have been VTEC. The only VTEC head bolted to the C32 block were the NSX heads making the C32B engine. the type 1 legend is the C32A1/C32A5/C32A6. I am going to try and find the code for the Type 2 legend engine..but it slips my mind right now. But ya.

If you want to get technical, you could put a legend engine in an NSX, but it would be worthless, NSX has had VTEC always, so a swap would be pointless.

the only engine swapping or parts swapping you can do is with the RL. It uses a 3.5 liter bottom end, with detuned type 2 legend heads. so you could put the 3.5RL block in, with the type 2 heads, and type 2 intake manifold, and you would be GREAT.

but, the legend has never come with VTEC, and you cant swap any VTEC parts to the legend, so dont waste your money.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

vtec is only a crutch for those who are too weak for a big cam.

just get a custom ground cam for your legend. i'm sure you can find someone that will do it.

Quick Reply: Acura Legend Cylinder head to NSX heads?