Notices
Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

99 Acura RL...crazy electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Acura RL...crazy electrical issues

So Im not sure if any of these thiings are realted, but this is the chain of events that have brought me here.

Again, I cant se this related but about a week ago it was time to change plugs. I was a rainy day when I did this and so it did get wet under the hood, but not horrible. everything was fine for a couple days. My lifestyle has me in the car a lot and I have had to jump the battery quite a bit due to draining while sitting with the key on while charging cell phones. I use a power invertor which drains it pretty quick. Anyway, the last time I jumped it the red battery light was on once it started. I had no dash lights, no radio, no tach and a few other electrical things not working. I revved motor and got the battery charging and slowly things came back to life. I was driving along listening to the radio when the radio shut off and the horn started blazing. Afraid to shut it off, not knowing if it would restart, I drove it approx. 10 miles with the horn blazing. Once home I had to disconnect the horns under the hood.I remembered the day prior the electronic telescopic wheel was not working going forward to back. It was now working normal so I assumed maybe a pinched wire or something related to that. Started checking fuses and found the small light and radio fuse blown. It was also in limp mode with the check engine light on. I replaced the fuses and went to start it and the horn was no normal, but the wipers turned on and would not turn of. Still no back lights on the dash for hvac/radio/switches on ash..oh, and no parking lights. I have been driving it like this for a few days with no parking lights/tail lights(brake lights work) and I have been disconnecting the wipers at the switch under the column cover. I live near Seattle where it rains everyday so its no fun with this wiper issue. for a few days this is what I have been dealing with when yesterday the D light starts flashing and now Im in Limp mode. Trans fluid is full and doesnt smell or look burnt to me. It was parked for about 12 hours when I went to mess with it and now the gauges stay light with the key off. With the key on the speedo needle keeps bouncing and moving around and still d light flashes and no running lights once started. I have been able to get the D light to reset if I restart engine. It will come back on, but sometimes I can get a couple minutes of driving before limp mode sets in, other times the D light would start flashing right away. Now the latest is it will not come out of park. It took a few times of cycling the key to get the gauges to turn off, otherwise they were all lit up with the key off. Its late and Im irritated so I didnt bother taking it out of park with the park release and starting it and seeing what the D light would do cause currenly the light is off. It was on 2 minutes prior to the gear selector not coming out of park.

My background is sales or service advisor in dealerships for 20+ years. Im no mechanic, but writing service at a Honda store for 5 years I have seen alot and know a little. I have talked to a few techs at the store and I have course I need to get the car in there to be diaged. (I no longer work there) My original thoughts were pinched wire thinking of the telescopic wheel not working and the horn issue. Those started working though, and with the dash light and runnng light issue I am wondering if te problem is maybe in the drivers side multiplex? Is there another multiplex on the passenger side? Im not sure if I have two problems...the trans being a total separate issue and also have an electrical issue or all linked to the same issue. I do have codes 1768 and 0730. With the 0730 The engine is not over reving when at highway speeds or anything like that. Of course it is in limp mode and no power at low speeds and then its starting out in high gear, buts once up to speed its good.

Any help be great