Notices
Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

2003 Acura 3.2 TL trans issues/something else

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 07:34 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Acura 3.2 TL trans issues/something else

My car only has 8 0k miles on it and I always have regular fluid changes every 4-5k miles. One day I feel the gears slipping as it shifts from 2 to 3rd gear. Then it doesn't want to go into any gear. So I let it sit all day, borrowed someones car to get to work. When I got off work, I checked trans fluid and it wasn't low and didn't smelled burnt. I started it up and drove it around the block and it seemed fine, after 5-10 min I'm at a stop light , when it turned green, my car wouldn't go into gear...NO GEARS. I need to know the common list of things to check/replace to see if it will be a simple fix, before having to replace the transmission. I love this car and I'm super bummed. Need some guidance of what to try before jumping all the way off the cliff and replacing the trans.
Thanks for the knowledge,
Monnandstarslt
Old 05-23-2018, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 2003 Acura 3.2 TL trans issues/something else

Originally Posted by moonandstarslt
My car only has 8 0k miles on it and I always have regular fluid changes every 4-5k miles. One day I feel the gears slipping as it shifts from 2 to 3rd gear. Then it doesn't want to go into any gear. So I let it sit all day, borrowed someones car to get to work. When I got off work, I checked trans fluid and it wasn't low and didn't smelled burnt. I started it up and drove it around the block and it seemed fine, after 5-10 min I'm at a stop light , when it turned green, my car wouldn't go into gear...NO GEARS. I need to know the common list of things to check/replace to see if it will be a simple fix, before having to replace the transmission. I love this car and I'm super bummed. Need some guidance of what to try before jumping all the way off the cliff and replacing the trans.
Thanks for the knowledge,
Monnandstarslt
Soooo is this a manual or an auto? I'm assuming auto. You can read about the recall here: https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-t...n-recall-q-55/
Old 07-11-2018, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If its an auto.. I'm thinking it's toast ..The smell does not have to be there. If It was slipping and now now it will not move sounds either the gears are chipped ... Mine does the stuck in neutral think but only on slow speed..... Hopefully cleaning the solenoids and drain and fills will resolve mine...

But Acura says they won't fix recall for our year anymore that warranty was from 2005... Save for a replacement or rebuild.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The transmission is an automatic; there was no such a thing as a factory 2003 Acura TL 3.2 with a manual.

The above said, the best bet would be to buy an upgraded "AV6" (aka. a Honda Accord V6) transmission from either a 2006 or 2007 Accord. The AV6 is basically a bolt in transmission and is much more robust than the early 5-Speed V6 Automatic transmissions.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:20 PM
Trial User

dont know if this is too late for you buddy but I have an 04 and heres what I did to fix mine and it worked for me:

cleaned ALL solenoids including both dual linear and linear;
swapped output speed sensor;
swapped neutral safety switch;
and changed fluid of course.

I had blinking light of doom and everything and got rid of that and had a P0700 (because I bought it secondhand and clearly the previous owner deleted the code, though found later the code was related to the torque converter clutch solenoid p0740) Anyways, cleaning solenoid and replacing sensors did the job and while I know I have for more miles than you it sounds like your issue is likely the neutral safety switch sensor. but others here are maybe far more advanced than I. good luck!