Notices
Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

2002 acura tl type s tranny problems!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 acura tl type s tranny problems!!!!

i just bought a 2002 acura tl type s 18 inch aftermarket wheels, navigation and 115k miles .. i bought it with some problems, first the car needed a battery, i put one in it and the navigation is asking for a lock code which i do not have any ideas on how to get it?? second the tranny shifts like poo after a couple minutes of driving and sometimes on stays in 1-2 and doesnt go into reverse but if you shut the car off and wait awhile i drives fine again for a couple more minutes .. i pulled the codes its throwing and they are.. p0740 tcc circuit malfunction, p07330 gear ration incorrect,p1740 no code definition and the last one is p 0710 transmission fluid temp sensor
Old 02-06-2007, 10:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 2002 acura tl type s tranny problems!!!! (jsteezy1290)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jsteezy1290 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just bought a 2002 acura tl type s 18 inch aftermarket wheels, navigation and 115k miles .. i bought it with some problems, first the car needed a battery, i put one in it and the navigation is asking for a lock code which i do not have any ideas on how to get it?? second the tranny shifts like poo after a couple minutes of driving and sometimes on stays in 1-2 and doesnt go into reverse but if you shut the car off and wait awhile i drives fine again for a couple more minutes .. i pulled the codes its throwing and they are.. p0740 tcc circuit malfunction, p07330 gear ration incorrect,p1740 no code definition and the last one is p 0710 transmission fluid temp sensor</TD></TR></TABLE>

most likely you are SOL and will obviously look forward to spending $4K- $5K for a replacement trans. You can try calling HOA (acura customer care) but they will require service records for the car
Old 02-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jsteezy1290 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just bought a 2002 acura tl type s 18 inch aftermarket wheels, navigation and 115k miles .. i bought it with some problems, first the car needed a battery, i put one in it and the navigation is asking for a lock code which i do not have any ideas on how to get it?? second the tranny shifts like poo after a couple minutes of driving and sometimes on stays in 1-2 and doesnt go into reverse but if you shut the car off and wait awhile i drives fine again for a couple more minutes .. i pulled the codes its throwing and they are.. p0740 tcc circuit malfunction, p07330 gear ration incorrect,p1740 no code definition and the last one is p 0710 transmission fluid temp sensor</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think Acura have extented Auto trans warranty on 98-03 Acura TL, CL all models up to 120k however, they will not cover if your car had a salvage tittle unless you know some one works at Acura dealer. good luck.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2002 acura tl type s tranny problems!!!! (Eg6B18C1)

by the way, they will reset your navi system after installed new trans because your battery will be removed again...........free if warranty pays or haft an hour labor if you pay.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

should be able to get navi/radio code from any acura dealer or it may be w/ ur owners manual.

2nd gen TL's are known to have tranny issues and its a common problem.
they apparantly fixed them in the 03 models and the new replacement trannies no longer have these problems.

its worth a shot to talk to customer service rep or ur local dealer (reputable one) since u still may qualify for a replacement even tho ur over 100k miles.

good luck and let us know.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2002 acura tl type s tranny problems!!!! (YeuEmMaiMai)

4k or 5k on a tranny u must be retarded, i can get a tranny for 800 and installed for another 200.. i just dont think it needs one .. it doesnt slip at all and thats a good sign the clutches and gears are still good. i did some reaserch and my car is going in friday for a couple recallls one is for the tranny so i hope it fixes somethin if not at least they will tell me whats wrong with .. by the way i got the navi code
Old 02-07-2007, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

with those DTC's i'm pretty sure it's the tranny problem.......hopefully it's still under warranty thought. btw.......your PCM (Ecu) will also be replaced.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

samething happened to mine, but there was a acura extended warrenty on tl's. I ran my vin and they said it was covered up to 100k so they gave me a new transmission and a full service check for free along with a rental.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2002 acura tl type s tranny problems!!!! (sokenciviceg9)

it goes in to the dealer ship tommorow for a recall was yours replaced under a recall???? and y does the pcm have to be replaced
Old 02-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jsteezy1290 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it goes in to the dealer ship tommorow for a recall was yours replaced under a recall???? and y does the pcm have to be replaced</TD></TR></TABLE>

internal failure. I do this almost every day at work.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jsteezy1290 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">4k or 5k on a tranny u must be retarded, i can get a tranny for 800 and installed for another 200.. i just dont think it needs one .. it doesnt slip at all and thats a good sign the clutches and gears are still good. i did some reaserch and my car is going in friday for a couple recallls one is for the tranny so i hope it fixes somethin if not at least they will tell me whats wrong with .. by the way i got the navi code </TD></TR></TABLE>

You say I am retarded? I'm not the one who bought the car without knowing about the transmission problems......do you still want to talk about being retarded?

You say I am retarded? No one in their right mind would install a used transmission into these cars (see above explanation)...do you still want to talk about being retarded?

You say I am retarded? Even with the odomenter settlement being final your warranty expired as of 105K and since you are not owner for a very long time, you may not get assistance....do you still want to talk about being retarded?

You say I am retarded? You bought a TL type S that has no warranty.....do you still want to talk about being retareded?

You MIGHT get lucky when they settle the lawsuit in CA that will add 9K or 9 months to the powertrain warranty but as of this moment the suit is not final (it was supposed to be on Dec 28 2006) si if that is the case

100K plus 5K for odosettlement plus 9K for extended trans settlement = 114K miles os you MIGHT get lucky....however Acura will need service records.......do you have those?
Old 02-11-2007, 03:46 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I was under the impression that the Trans Control Unit gets replaced because they cannot update it in the field with new software that would change the shift point and pressures....Trans truly is a POS and hopefully the new Acuras with the 4 shaft design do not have any reliability issues....

changing that TCU really takes the life right out of the performance
Old 02-16-2007, 03:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jsteezy1290 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">.. p0740 tcc circuit malfunction, p07330 gear ration incorrect</TD></TR></TABLE>

Anytime you have a p0730 or 0740 code the trans needs replacing. Honda published a service news that states this and what causes these codes to store. These trannies are notorious for failure but it wouldnt stop me from buying a 99-03 TL. If the trannies werent so failure prone what would all the owners complain about??

BTW the trans control unit gets replaced to complement the reman'd trans. The older TCM doesnt have internal failure problems.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:12 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: 2002 acura tl type s tranny problems!!!! (Cory man)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cory man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Anytime you have a p0730 or 0740 code the trans needs replacing. Honda published a service news that states this and what causes these codes to store. These trannies are notorious for failure but it wouldnt stop me from buying a 99-03 TL. If the trannies werent so failure prone what would all the owners complain about??

BTW the trans control unit gets replaced to complement the reman'd trans. The older TCM doesnt have internal failure problems. </TD></TR></TABLE>

his car might already have the new TCM as acura was replacing them for free for one year after the notice was sent out........if he dosen't I have heard of people being charged $1.5K for a new one in addition to the trans build.......
Old 02-17-2007, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

retarted indeed

seems like little yeuemmaimai , gets on alot of peoples nerves....

as far as this thread goes
i would call HOA and see what i could get from them

good luck with the tranny. hope everything turns out in your favor
Old 02-18-2007, 02:58 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (formby)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by formby &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">retarted indeed

seems like little yeuemmaimai , gets on alot of peoples nerves....

as far as this thread goes
i would call HOA and see what i could get from them

good luck with the tranny. hope everything turns out in your favor</TD></TR></TABLE>

you are NOT GOING TO GET ASSISTANCE if you do not have any service records and if you just bought the car.....
Old 02-18-2007, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (YeuEmMaiMai)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YeuEmMaiMai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you are NOT GOING TO GET ASSISTANCE if you do not have any service records and if you just bought the car.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just installed a reman'd honda trans on an 03 Accord under warranty. No service records and the car was nearly 20k miles out of the basic Honda warranty. To top it off the customer had declined the trans service in the past. Dont be so fast to pass judgment.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:03 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (Cory man)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cory man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I just installed a reman'd honda trans on an 03 Accord under warranty. No service records and the car was nearly 20k miles out of the basic Honda warranty. To top it off the customer had declined the trans service in the past. Dont be so fast to pass judgment. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess in your haste to try and prove me wrong, you missed the last part so let me run it past you again

and if you just bought the car.......

and I really hate to point this out but you contradicted yourself

is the car under warranty or is it not? "03 Accord under warranty" and "car was nearly 20k miles out of the basic Honda warranty"

so did they get an extended warranty?

This guy just bought a car and has no service records on the car......what do you think that the first thing HOA or Acura customer service will ask you? (let me give you a hint as I have been through this process already) "Do you have the service records for your car and who does your service" lucky for me I answered "Yes" and XXXX honda is my dealer"

The dealer he bought the car from should help him but alas no one really pays attention to "AS IS NO WARRANTY" or "WARRANTY" with a description of what is covered. on the used car sticker. In this case since the car needed a battery I am going to guess private party sale.

OP you should go back to the buyer and ask him for service records on the car and go from there. That person most likely knew the trans was fubar and that is why they sold it. Trans just dosen't quit like that on these cars, it usually shows signs long before hand like slow engagement, slippage in various gears, harsh shifting, etc.... if you really want to know what is wrong with these transmissions check out acura-cl.com they got a whole write up on the problems with the unit.....

I would even push him to see how much he knows about the trans..
Old 02-19-2007, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YeuEmMaiMai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I guess in your haste to try and prove me wrong, you missed the last part so let me run it past you again

and I really hate to point this out but you contradicted yourself

is the car under warranty or is it not? "03 Accord under warranty" and "car was nearly 20k miles out of the basic Honda warranty"

so did they get an extended warranty?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didnt contradict myself. I stated that I replaced the trans under warranty even though the cars' basic warranty had expired. Its called good-will at your local Honda/Acura dealer.

Im not trying to prove you wrong, but anytime a trans issue is discussed you think that all your web surfing on internet forums has made you the expert. I'd be willing to bet that you have never R&R'd a Honda trans or diag'd one. Your experience is just that, YOUR EXPERIENCE. Every single other trans warranty case is different. Instead of telling him he wont get coverage why not give him hints to presenting his case with Honda. Things like, be mature or approach Honda with professionalism. Service records are excellent to have but if the customer is an *** I'd bet Honda would refuse coverage based on that.

Yes the trans are problematic, but you are looking at the situation from a one-sided point of view. Im starting to think that TL/CL owners have made it their main goal in life to whine about this trans issue.

jsteezy1290, I would go back to the previous owner and see if he has service records or maybe even ask him if he would present the case to Honda for you so that you may receive coverage. Either way, dont be an *** and be professional in your presentation.

If you cant get it covered look up H&A trans in California. Ive installed a few of their remans and they were of great quality. The price of the trans depends on the length of warranty coverage you prefer with the reman'd unit. PM me if you have questions.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:34 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (Cory man)

Please don't say what I have and have not done, it makes you look like an ***...........

I had a 98 accord and I know exactly what HOA wanted from me when the trans broke.

and no we don't make it a point to complain about the trans..........

32K for a car and the trans is a POS? not a good thing now is it.... I am 100% positive that everyone likes it when they are going down the HWY at 55-70mph and the car suddenly decides that it wants to be in 2nd gear......

My experience is as follows

94 Accord 100% trouble free engine and trans. change the fluid every year regardless of milage

98 accord LX-V6 driving down the road and I notice that the shifts between gears is taking longer and longer and car does not accellerate as well as it used to. Take it in and guess what? trans is toast...got an extimate from Honda $5K to replace it HOA asks for service records. Since I just got the car, didn;t have any but they were still willing to work with me if I could get the car to the dealer.....car never made it. Rebuilt trans at shop that dealer recommeded since HOA was not going to help due to lack of service records. 3 rebuilt transmissions later (all within 11K miles) sold car with 100K on it. had the car less than 9 months total......

CURRENT CAR 2002 Type S

bought at 41K, Trans fluid already changed from bright pink to dark red but unit is functional. Car was inspected and was in otherwise excellent shape. Bought car and changed trans fluid 3 times. Now car is at 50K and car lunges when you are coming to a stop but don't and give the car light throttle = harsh lunge forward. Fluid is not burnt...yet. Acura states that they have to wait for failure before replacement......hope to God that I don't get slammed into 2nd gear on FWY.......it's winter time and that would suck. shifting between 1 and 2 is smooth 2 and 3 is crap 3 and 4 and 4 and 5 are smooth. When unit is really HOT (ie it is like 90+ outside) it snaps between 3-4 shift........cannot duplicate in the cold weather.......so gotta wait till the spring and thankfully that is only a few months away

Transmission is from Japan on my CL type S according to the sticker......
Old 02-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You win. Its pointless arguing with a know-it-all.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:35 AM

Well, not all TL's are covered under that 7 yr, 100k mile warrenty, or watever the milage is. I called up the Honda Customer thing and I gave them my VIN, and my car isn't covered on it. You should check out Acurazin.com. They have this entire Thread about TL's infamous tranny problems. here you go...call this number... and have your VIN ready.. Acura Client Services at (800) 382-2238, and select menu option #2.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha cory....he is one of those Know-it-alls and it doesent matter what us real honda techs have to say

Modified by cimo463 at 12:10 AM 3/2/2007
Old 03-02-2007, 01:19 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (cimo463)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cimo463 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">haha cory....he is one of those Know-it-alls and it doesent matter what us real honda techs have to say

Modified by cimo463 at 12:10 AM 3/2/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah like you swappers have any clue as to what is wrong with the trans.....

You really think HOA is going to fix a car that was just bought with no services records and no warranty?.....lol good one.........and he didn't even buy it from a HONDA/Acura dealer

They are goint to want least proof that the car was properly maintined and unless he has that....chances are SLIM that he will get any help.

You guys are in the internet saying "yeah Honda will take care of you" not telling him that he needs certain things in hand first........like the service history of the car........
Old 03-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And you know what is wrong with yours? cause i would like to know Mr technician

If honda actully let us diag the trans we could figure out what is wrong with it.But these trans have so many problems and it can be so many things that honda just does the smart thing and recomends just replacing it. After we send it back, someone else figures out why that tranny fried. And thats why the new ones that we put in are very strong.

And it all depends on what dealership you deal with...I have seen the biggests piles that have never had a trans service and have none of there records and they recieved new transmissions

I personaly think that you should have all the records for the car if you are not the original owner..but then again i would not buy one of these cars without first finding out if it has recieved a new tranny. The Dealerships are just trying to satisfy the Customer.

Quick Reply: 2002 acura tl type s tranny problems!!!!