Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

2000 TL Yep a bad auto transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 TL Yep a bad auto transmission

Hey everyone,
My daughters 2000 TL transmission just starting acting up just like a million other units LOL. I have searched and surfed the web but the information is filled with so much crap its hard to narrow down what transmission options / replacements are out there.
I have built a lot of hot rod road racers bla bla bla and am a certified tech. I would just rebuild the trans but can I get the parts I need to make it work correctly for a long time?
can I put a 2006 unit in ? If so what car or transmission number do I need ?
What manual can I use, ya just convert it
I would love to here from ya, the car is perfect but too many miles for a warranty repair at this point.
You guys know these cars better than anyone else, I did the same stuff when I was a kid. Love to go fast, but now i just want to get my car back and give my daughter her car back.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 2000 TL Yep a bad auto transmission

you can try a junkyard tranny, but honestly it's just gonna happen again. Even if you get one from Acura it will happen again. There is also an ECU replacement with the trannies so you need that as well. If you use the same ECU on a new tranny it will happen even quicker. Check www.acurazine.com They have much more info.

I had an 03 TL-S. Tranny went under extended warranty, and after 60k the new unit acted up. I sold the car =(
Old 03-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Trial User

I did scan the obd2 system no codes or pending ones stored. I know the battery hasn't been disconnected partly because the emission flags are all set. That is a clue the battery hasn't been disconnected real lately just for your information. I guess the radio still works bla bla bla. Remember this is my 18 year old daughter, the only thing she cares about is the sound system / CD player LOL Good kid going to school and working bla bla bla. I dorve the car and it shifts well from all gears along with the fluid looking clean and not burnt. I guess I am going to have to drive it for a while.
BTW she's driving my 2005 CL65 AMG ya I have a peace of tape over the traction control switch just so she doesn't mess with that. Ya over 600 hp and 800 ft lbs of torque... Oh well I couldn't let her drive the 914 its a stick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6pycJ8EIcA
Old 03-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Trial User

OK,
So I have checked the car out, no codes and the transmission shifts quite well from 1-2-3-4-5 at soft pedal and hard. The fluid is clean and surprisingly cool to the touch. She said the dash gear indicator would blink and the car would look for gears. Maybe go from one down to another. AT this point I'm going to change the filter and fluid add a external filter & cooler and see how things go. I guess you can put a 3 gen transmission in (auto) so maybe if it fails that's what I will do. What do you guys think about the symptoms ? and no codes. I assume they are "p" power-train codes, my scanner only sees those type. ???? P.S. these are great cars shockingly quiet and quick !!!!
Old 03-14-2012, 01:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the D5 light flashes there is a problem. Before you try to fix yourself, or add a cooler have the dealer check for codes.

If it's still running good, then sell it and cut your losses. This tranny will fail.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i just spent 2700 on having a fully rebuilt trans put in my 2000 tl, the oilers between the gears froze, it would drive fine for a little bit then would just keep locking up while i was driving like it was downshifting fast
Old 12-07-2012, 06:09 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by furious94ls
If the D5 light flashes there is a problem. Before you try to fix yourself, or add a cooler have the dealer check for codes.

If it's still running good, then sell it and cut your losses. This tranny will fail.

It looks like Acura 200X TL transmissions are badly known for problems. Why is this car manufacturing compnay keeps making them and dumping into the US markets? Instead of rebuilding or replacing the same poorly engineered transmission, they need redesign and replace tranny for all Acuras manufactured after 1999. Some problems are definitly a safty concern including slipping gers as it stops the car all of sudden without the brake lights on

Why don't we all write to President Obama? He fixed the unintended acceleration issue with Toyota !

Acura may be just putting band aids for their tranny problems.