Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

08 TL GETS STUCK IN PARK AND SOMETIMES WON'T GO BACK INTO PARK

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 05:29 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 08 TL GETS STUCK IN PARK AND SOMETIMES WON'T GO BACK INTO PARK

HELP! Please!! I have a 2008 Acura TL- Automatic w/ bumpshift

Okay, my car cranks fine with no worries. I have brake lights. My car gets stuck in park and it takes anywhere from 1-20 minutes of trying to get it to shift. Then once I get to wherever I am going and go to take it from drive --> park, it wont go above neutral. I have to push in the shift lock on the gear shifter in order for the gears to change. And my check engine light is on (going to get that checked out this weekend). But that could possibly be separate because that came on a couple of weeks ago and this just started happening. It has happened here and there over the last year that I have had it but I've never had to try more than once to get it to work until this week.

This is not to be rude, but I am on a limited budget and I don't want to replace a whole bunch of perfectly fine parts. So PLEASE answer ONLY if you are 95% sure of your answer, or higher! )

Does anyone think it is the park/neutral safety switch? I don't think it is the brake light switch because I have brakes. (This is what the guy at the Acura Dealership told me to look for and if I had them then that wasn't it... but of course that's all he would tell me without a $49.99 charge and bringing it in where he will try to convince me to pay him to do it.)

Also, if you are sure of your answer, can you possibly give me any tips on fixing it. I am a girl lol. But I'm not afraid to get dirty so just tell me what I need to do. YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!
Old 10-23-2014, 09:15 AM
Trial User

Default Re: 08 TL GETS STUCK IN PARK AND SOMETIMES WON'T GO BACK INTO PARK

okay, the guy at oreilys and the guy and acura and the research I have done tells me that it is either the Shift Interlock Solenoid or the Brake light switch... Besides having brake lights, or not, does anyone know how to tell the difference? The BLS is $15 and the SIS is $80. I feel like its probably the SIS because I do have brake lights but I want to be sure before I purchase either.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 08 TL GETS STUCK IN PARK AND SOMETIMES WON'T GO BACK INTO PARK

Check the fuse under your dash under the trunk lever. Mine started doing this and I found that the fuse was loose.