Notices
Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

03 TL Type S problem. need help really bad.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 TL Type S problem. need help really bad.

my VSA light keep coming on. and the triangle light also keep coming on. when i put the car in drive, it drive, but won't shift up. dealer say it was the ecu, so i got a brand new one from them and have them install it and program it and such. you already know how much that cost. now they're saying it's the transmission. im not about to spend 5g on a transmission and thats without labor. i think they're just trying to rip me off. does anyone know what the problem might be? torch coverter maybe?
Old 05-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Hair Club President

Default Re: 03 TL Type S problem. need help really bad. (ysoslow)

how many miles do you have on your car? it may still be covered under the extended warrenty for the factory recall
Old 05-15-2008, 06:26 AM

Default Re: 03 TL Type S problem. need help really bad. (pho dac biet)

a little over 100k miles. unfortunately it's not cover under warranty anymore. if it was then i wouldn't be so stress out.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:19 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

car may be covered up to 109K miles are you over that? Only some of the 03 models are covered but I am sure if you talk to Acura CS and have complete maint history of the car, they will most likely offer some form of assistance ranging from a %age all the way up to complate coverage of repair.

the trans has most likely failed and the unit is stuck in d2

EDIT:Correction to statement made above

Modified by YeuEmMaiMai at 6:57 AM 5/21/2008
Old 05-16-2008, 01:37 AM

Default Re: 03 TL Type S problem. need help really bad. (YeuEmMaiMai)

it's the VSA module. does anyone know where i can get one at beside the stealership?
Old 05-16-2008, 05:52 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

J/Y as those are dealer only parts

you can take one from an O3 CL type S and most likely a 01 or 02 TL CL type S
Old 05-16-2008, 05:55 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ysoslow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's the VSA module. does anyone know where i can get one at beside the stealership?</TD></TR></TABLE>

how to they KNOW it is the VSA module?

they already fuxed up on the diag once

I am telling you it is most likely the trans and I would talk to Acura customer service to see about getting reimbursed for a repair the car did NOT need
Old 05-16-2008, 12:18 PM

that dealership sounds stupid if they told you its the ecu then now telling you something else. But it really does sound like the tranny issue.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Hair Club President

Default Re: 03 TL Type S problem. need help really bad. (Fobstylez)

yea you should probably try another dealership it's most likely your trans going out and as yeu stated you've got a 7 year 109k mile extended warrenty on it
Old 05-20-2008, 11:33 AM

The same thing happened to me and it was the transmission. The VSA module and the yellow hazzard triangle come on as a warning that there is an issue. When I pulled the code it came back with Torque converter problem. I aske the technician about it and they said that the transmissions are made to run and shift real hot so it fries the components sometimes. From what I understand this is a common problem. They said that the only way to fix it is to replace the tranny. Maybe try a transmission shop instead of the dealership.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:52 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: 03 TL Type S problem. need help really bad. (sixfourss81)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sixfourss81 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The same thing happened to me and it was the transmission. The VSA module and the yellow hazzard triangle come on as a warning that there is an issue. When I pulled the code it came back with Torque converter problem. I aske the technician about it and they said that the transmissions are made to run and shift real hot so it fries the components sometimes. From what I understand this is a common problem. They said that the only way to fix it is to replace the tranny. Maybe try a transmission shop instead of the dealership.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ur mechanic is almost right but the trans was not made to "run hot"

it is a design issue regarding serveral areas

2nd gear overheat (the actual gear not the clutch pack) resolved by adding a oil jet kit that squirts fluid directly onto 2nd gear.

insufficient fluid flow during 2-3 shift resulting in trans fluid reaching temps in excess of 315F (I.E. Insta-cooked trans fluid) this in turn kills your clutch pack.

Failure of hydraulic circuit causing the trans to immediately shift into 2nd gear no matter how fast you are going. Luckily 2nd gear is good for 80mph so chances of fubar motor are quite slim although your neck will likely be sore from the sudden engine braking....

When this particular ECU detects a problem with the trans it locks the unit into 2nd gear aka limp home mode.

OP plug your VIN into this website to see if your car is covered under extended warranty

http://www.hondatransmissionse...n.php