Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

Water on drivers side

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water on drivers side

Ok this is a base rsx, just got it a week ago so not too familiar with it, but here's what I know.

-Water only on drivers side
-Not wet near pedals or radio console
-Hole a little forward to the gas pedal
-Wet, rained a few days ago
-The car has been in a side drivers side accident but no frame damage
Old 12-23-2009, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Water on drivers side

You're probably missing a rubber plug in the firewall from accident/body repairs. Whichever body shop did the repairs should be liable to fix the leak, although you can probably fix this yourself.

Get a flash light and inspect the firewall both inside the car and under the hood to see if there's any missing plugs. If you have someone sit inside the car, shine a flashlight through from under the hood and look to see if light is coming through.

If you find a missing plug, I'd replace it with an OEM part. Or silicone, if you're ghetto fabulous like me.

Don't wait around to fix this. Water damage will make your car smell like mold (especially if you have cloth interior).

This might help:
Old 12-23-2009, 07:25 AM
Function > Form

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turboteg2nv
You're probably missing a rubber plug in the firewall from accident/body repairs. Whichever body shop did the repairs should be liable to fix the leak, although you can probably fix this yourself.

Get a flash light and inspect the firewall both inside the car and under the hood to see if there's any missing plugs. If you have someone sit inside the car, shine a flashlight through from under the hood and look to see if light is coming through.

If you find a missing plug, I'd replace it with an OEM part. Or silicone, if you're ghetto fabulous like me.

Don't wait around to fix this. Water damage will make your car smell like mold (especially if you have cloth interior).

This might help:
Couldn't have posted it better...

I might add that you should get/do a pretty good inspection just to be sure that there isn't any damage to worry about. Most likely not the issue, but if you're a stickler you might want to consider this.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sweet thanks guys, i'll look into it.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok guys so i've looked for those spots on diagram.......nothing that i could find though

1. it's not leaking from above the driver side, console/etc, not coming from above
(i put a bag and there was no water on top, but carpet was soaked while raining)
2. Carpet wet even though car isn't moving, not being splashed in basically
3. More wet near the pedals all the way to the left foot rest, it was wet there first, then rest of carpet i believe.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check you door also....there should be a plastic sheet glued between the door shin and the door...a lot of people do not think they do anything...they are wrong. If you leave this sheet off after doing work on the door...you will leak water under the door shin onto the carpet.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nbcivic
Ok guys so i've looked for those spots on diagram.......nothing that i could find though

1. it's not leaking from above the driver side, console/etc, not coming from above
(i put a bag and there was no water on top, but carpet was soaked while raining)
2. Carpet wet even though car isn't moving, not being splashed in basically
3. More wet near the pedals all the way to the left foot rest, it was wet there first, then rest of carpet i believe.
Yikes. You're just going to have to start pulling interior panels and carpeting so you can find the leak. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, take it to the body shop that repaired the accident damages. This is THEIR problem, not yours.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright so apparently when the car was in an accident, there was a bent rod underneath the windshield, the rod was repaired but not on the inside, so they need to reseal around the windshield...sooo i hope that fixes it all up.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So did you talk to the body shop then?

I'd request a professional interior detail for their mistake...try to get some of that water/mold stank out of there before it gets worse.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wish...the accident was before i owned the car so i have no idea what happened/where it was taken. And idk about contacting the seller because he was pretty much the rudest person i've met.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That sucks. So who told you that the windshield needs to be resealed? Or did you figure that out on your own? I'm lost lol
Old 12-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Function > Form

Haha, did you also have a problem with your windows being foggy? A friend of mine needs a coupl window seals re-done and it's super irritating riding in her car because the windows fog up so easy and bad!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Surje.motorsports

you are very lucky this turned out to be water and a mistake on the body shop for not repairing it correctly....

if you didnt figure out what it was i was gonna suggest it may have been the heater core which would have made you fcuked, but i guess you still would have been covered per it being the body shops fault

sucks, this just happened to my buddy's eg!!
Old 01-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

While you are looking for leaks check in your spare tire area for moisture as the tail light gaskets are prone to go.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just get a water hose and place it along the drip rails and any other spots that the water my get into. by the door and top of car, See from inside the car if u see a trickle of water getting into the interior of the car. just may be something by the door rubber sealant that may not be intact and may cause it to leak into the carpet and wet the carpet along the trunk release and foot rest pedal. hope this helps.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:42 AM

[QUOTE=turboteg2nv;41030454]You're probably missing a rubber plug in the firewall from accident/body repairs. Whichever body shop did the repairs should be liable to fix the leak, although you can probably fix this yourself.

This might help:
[/QUOTE

This is almost for sure the problem. I had the same thing on my TypeS after i installed my Side markers. Also The easiest way for me too find it was i pulled the carpet up with some towels or somethng on the floor to catch the water. Had someone else use a hose and slowly ran it down the windshield and watched for the leak in the car. ( i only did this b/c i couldnt see any light where the hole was but seemed to work fine.)
Old 01-15-2010, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sun roof drains get knocked out easy when doing body work. Body shop might have forgot to put it back in.