Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

EP3 no spark no start issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EP3 no spark no start issue

Hey guys,

So recently, I've been bummed by some odd issue I have with the civic (2002 civic si) and I need some help diagnosing this. So the story start with me driving my car into my garage like any day and when I go to start it the next day, the car no longer starts. It would crank for days, but wouldn't start what so ever.

So far this is what I've done. I didn't hear the fuel pump, so I replaced it with a new one. Now I have plenty of fuel pressure. Sadly it still didn't start.

Next I performed a spark test by pulling out 1 coil pack and adding a spark plug (NEW PLUG) to it, then connected a ground from the spark plug to the negative battery terminal to create a spark. I cranked and no spark appeared! So I knew I had an ignition issue at this point.

I honestly thought it was the crank sensor, so I replaced it and still NO SPARK!

Finally I brought out the multi-meter to do some testing, and this only left me in more confusion. I checked each coil pack and they seem to be fine. Then I checked the plug to the coil pack and it seems to get power when the ignition is turned to the ON position.

That's where I'm stuck! If the plugs are getting power then I don't understand why I have no spark, any solutions????? ANY HELP is much appreciated.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: EP3 no spark no start issue

pull the coil and put in a spark plug, you watch it, have someone else crank it.

Spark?

I don't know what you mean about battery because we have +, -, AND a signal, that pulses.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xci_ed6
pull the coil and put in a spark plug, you watch it, have someone else crank it.

Spark?

I don't know what you mean about battery because we have +, -, AND a signal, that pulses.
Thanks for the reply!!!

Yep that's exactly what I did to test the spark, except I put a ground from the spark plug to the negative battery so it was grounded. Then I cranked away and NO SPARK came out of any (1 at a time). I also had my phone recording it, in case the spark was to small to see and nothing sparked.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well since I'm getting this kind of response everywhere, I luckily remembered that one of my friends is a Honda tech, so we are trying to figure out the issue. Getting an OBD2 scanner, so I can make sure my check engine light isn't on due to other things, other than my O2 sensor being bad. I'll update once we get some more information.
The following users liked this post:
Old 02-26-2020, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

“I’ll update when I find more info”

no update LOL