Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

Test drove and RSX Type S yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2001, 01:02 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove and RSX Type S yesterday somewhat long post

I test drove a type S yesterday. I sat in it with the seat pushed all the way back for my 6'3" body. My legs fit okay and my neck had to bend for me to physically fit my skull in the car. In my 92 teg I can sit straight up and my hair will hit the ceiling but in the RSX if I sat straight my head is an inch into the roof, I wasn't able to straighten my neck. This was detering to any potential car purchase.

The car felt kinda boggy in the Houston heat. I made the salesman agree to let me turn off the AC so I could see how it pulled without it. It made difference. You had to run to 6 grand to feel any kind of pull, kinda sucks when your redline is 79oo. My 92 pulls right at VTEC 5400 up to 8100, 800rpm worth of pull. This car does not by any means throw you back in your seat. At least not in any kind of stock condition.

This car would probably be awesome if iVTEC new nothing about emmisions control and a grippier clutch. I notice something odd when shifting, even though the clutch was obviously in and I was letting off the gas it continued to rev 200 more rpm before it dropped. I got the feeling that my instrument panel was more the car reporting to me what it wanted to do than responding to what I was doing. I did shift into 4th instead of 6th while getting used to the clutch, of course it was at a really low rpm. I have a love/hate view of manual trannies, nothings better for racing nothings worse for Houston traffic. I would prefer a 5 speed. This is the first 6 speed I have driven and I didn't really care for it, too much shifting in normal point A to B driving.

The RSX has more of a Luxury car feel than a sports car feel. I shouldn't need to shift that often in a luxury car and I am looking for a sports car when buying a RSX TypeS. If the type S is not being marketed for that purpose than it should be made a little more obvious to consumers what market it is after. If I owned this car I would drive it more conservativly because romping on it doesn't feel like anything, even if you are going fast. I would really only punch it when racing someone or if I wanted to go faster but not really feel like I am (IOW I want to go fast for time reasons not necessarily for a thrill).

It's braking distance was remarkable even though the master cylinder looks smaller than my GSR's. The engine bay had the trapezoid shape of a Civic's rather than the more square integra. There didn't look like room for anything extra. Definately no where near as much room as a previous Type R or more similar shaped SI engine bay. It is by no means a bad car but I will definately wait until the Type R comes out before I even think again about purchasing an RSX. Maybe the sportier racing seat will sit lower than the leather seats. Other things I hope to see in the Type R are a better driving response, I'd be fine with a 5spd, less concern for fuel efficiency/emissions, and more than one color. White is the color of industrial versions of cars not the high-end racing model, don't get me started on Yellow ITR's. The salesman told me the type R was supposed to be white only. Japan gets all the good colors.
http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-color/integra_r/

Adittional notes: Why do the new rsx and civic hb have to look like smaller versions of a Acura CL and the Honda Odessy. Was there something wrong with having a unique look??

[Modified by 92gsrVortec, 7:04 AM 8/13/2001]
Old 08-13-2001, 01:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Test drove and RSX Type S yesterday somewhat long post (92gsrVortec)

check the height adjustment on the seat.
Old 08-13-2001, 06:54 AM
New User

Default Re: Test drove and RSX Type S yesterday somewhat long post (92gsrVortec)

I wonder if back when there were 4-speed trannies if people disliked the 5-speed just like everyone dislikes the 6-speeds