Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

Spark plug reading, check out my plugs

Old 04-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug reading, check out my plugs

Just changed my plugs, let me know what you think
Attached Images     
Old 04-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spark plug reading, check out my plugs

Well, unless you did a WOT pull and immediately killed the engine, you won't be able to get accurate readings from cold plugs.

More info:
Originally Posted by NGK Website
A: Being able to "read" a spark plug can be a valuable tuning aid. By examining the insulator firing nose color, an experienced engine tuner can determine a great deal about the engine's overall operating condition.
In general, a light tan/gray color tells you that the spark plug is operating at optimum temperature and that the engine is in good condition. Dark coloring, such as heavy black wet or dry deposits can indicate an overly-rich condition, too cold a heat range spark plug, a possible vacuum leak, low compression, overly retarded timing or too large a plug gap.
If the deposits are wet, it can be an indication of a breached head gasket, poor oil control from ring or valvetrain problems or an extremely rich condition - depending on the nature of the liquid present at the firing tip.
Signs of fouling or excessive heat must be traced quickly to prevent further deterioration of performance and possible engine damage.
Normal Condition
An engine's condition can be judged by the appearance of the spark plug's firing end. If the firing end of a spark plug is brown or light gray, the condition can be judged to be good and the spark plug is functioning optimally.
Dry and Wet Fouling
Although there are many different cases, if the insulation resistance between the center electrode and the shell is over 10 ohms, the engine can be started normally. If the insulation resistance drops to 0 ohms, the firing end is fouled by either wet or dry carbon.
Overheating
When a spark plug overheats, deposits that have accumulated on the insulator tip melt and give the insulator tip a glazed or glossy appearance.
Deposits
The accumulation of deposits on the firing end is influenced by oil leakage, fuel quality and the engine's operating duration.
Lead Fouling
Lead fouling usually appears as yellowish brown deposits on the insulator nose. This can not be detected by a resitsance tester at room temperature. Lead compounds combine at different temperatures. Those formed at 370-470°C (700-790°F) having the greatest influence on lead resistance.
Breakage
Breakage is usually caused by thermal expansion and thermal shock due to sudden heating or cooling.
Normal Life
A worn spark plug not only wastes fuel but also strains the whole ignition system because the expanded gap (due to erosion) requires higher voltages. Normal rates of gap growth are as follows:
Four Stroke Engines: 0.01~0.02 mm/1,000 km (0.00063~0.000126 inches/1,000 miles)
Two Stroke Engines: 0.02~0.04 mm/1,000 km (0.000126~0.00252 inches/1,000 miles)
Abnormal Erosion
Abnormal electrode erosion is caused by the effects of corrosion, oxidation and reaction with lead - all resulting in abnormal gap growth.
Melting
Melting is caused by overheating. Mostly, the electrode surface is rather lustrous and uneven. The melting point of nickel alloy is 1,200~1,300°C (2,200~2,400°F).
Erosion, Corrosion and Oxidation
The material of the electrodes has oxidized, and when the oxidation is heavy it will be green on the surface. The surface of the electrodes are also fretted and rough.
Lead Erosion
Lead erosion is caused by lead compounds in the gasoline which react chemically with the material of the electrodes (nickel alloy) as high temperatures; crystal of nickel alloy fall off because of the lead compounds permeating and seperating the grain boundary of the nickel alloy. Typical lead erosion causes the surface of the ground electrode to become thinner, and the tip of the electrode looks as if it has been chipped.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by turboteg2nv
Well, unless you did a WOT pull and immediately killed the engine, you won't be able to get accurate readings from cold plugs.
Huh? Sure you can, he's either burning oil, or using useless fuel additives..
Old 04-02-2011, 05:33 PM
DC5/EP3 MOD :)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fuel additives tends to have a red color.

They don't look bad. Maybe a little hot so a little lean but they don't look bad at all.

I pulled these out of my RSX once lol
Old 04-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Type-Spaz
fuel additives tends to have a red color.

They don't look bad. Maybe a little hot so a little lean but they don't look bad at all.

I pulled these out of my RSX once lol
Right, but that pic of your plugs are extreme. His plugs DO look bad. He most likely has an oil issue. The deposits on the plug are NOT normal at all.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DCFIVER
Huh? Sure you can, he's either burning oil, or using useless fuel additives..
I meant the "proper" way to read plugs is how they're performing under load. When you're looking at spark plugs from a tuning standpoint (for cars without knock sensors) you might not detect knocking or detonation without seeing how the plugs look during a pull. You need to take a snapshot of the spark plug when its under the most extreme operating conditions. Plugs can change appearances as your driving conditions change.

...if that makes sense. This is probably too advanced for some of you

This is an old school tuning technique, for cars prior to Hondata and all these systems that have datalogging capabilities.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I meant the "proper" way to read plugs is how they're performing under load. When you're looking at spark plugs from a tuning standpoint (for cars without knock sensors) you might not detect knocking or detonation without seeing how the plugs look during a pull. You need to take a snapshot of the spark plug when its under the most extreme operating conditions. Plugs can change appearances as your driving conditions change.

...if that makes sense. This is probably too advanced for some of you

This is an old school tuning technique, for cars prior to Hondata and all these systems that have datalogging capabilities.
Hmmmm, I suppose this is possible. Can you give an example of how a plug would change its appearance? Under what type of operating conditions? (Not trying to argue here, just trying to see how this works exactly, because honestly I cant see how it would. Wouldnt be the first time I was wrong though...)
Old 04-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's been a while so I'm rusty, but for example if you're experiencing detonation you'll have little white specs stuck on the tip of the spark plug. These can burn off as you continue driving normally so you wouldn't know that you had detonation unless you shut off the engine/ignition during a pull.

Same with running rich/lean under load (WOT pulls), the spark plug may return to a "normal" operating color as you drive normally.

This is why I'm glad we have wideband o2 sensors now, knock sensors, tuning software with datalogging, etc.. it eliminates the guess work.