Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

RSX shakes at idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 RSX shakes at idle

Hello guys,

I just bought an 2005 Acura RSX Type S with 102,000 miles on it. Hopefully you guys agree the car is fine with that many miles on it. Paid just under $10k for it.

Anyway the car has two minor issues. After the car warms up the idle goes to the normal 800 rpm. The idle is constant. The car is not missing or having any other issues I can tell.

The other issue is they check engine light is on and has a code of P1172. Research shows that the primary oxygen sensor needs replaced.

Any suggestions or ideas for these issues?
Old 01-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: RSX shakes at idle

its pretty common for the primary o2 to go out on these cars over time. Just replace it and go from there. Has this car been modded? Factory ecu?? Hoping its a 05-06 primary o2 too.. You can have some oem primary o2's for cheaper on www.clubrsx.com

WHat is the other issue?
Old 01-14-2011, 09:48 AM
DC5/EP3 MOD :)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You already know the problem.... Why is this a thread lol

Fix the oxygen sensor that the car is even telling you is needing fixing. Then if that doesn't cure any of your problems come back and say, "well I tried changing the o2 sensor what else could it be?" lol
Old 01-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

02 sensor

iacv(does k have this?)

my friend had the same problem on his gsr after replacing 02 sensor and idle air control valve it went away
Old 01-14-2011, 11:34 AM
DC5/EP3 MOD :)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We do have an IACV. If anything I would attempt to clean it before replacing it. Replacing it is VERY expensive since the dealership considers it to be part of the throttle body itself
Old 01-14-2011, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the car shakes at idle, check to see if you have aftermarket motor mounts installed.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had my friend sit in it and he just thinks that was the way the car was made. He doesn't think the car shakes or vibrates abnormally. Does your cars vibrate? You can feel mine vibrate through the steering wheel.

The motor mounts are stock and look to be in good condition. We looked tonight.

As far as the check engine light we checked the codes tonight and it pulled 5 codes. All relating to the primary O2 sensor so its a sure thing now. That P1172 code pointed to a air/fuel issue and left me wondering if the O2 sensor really was the issue.

Am I just not used to the way this car idles? The RPMs are constant. It just seems rough to me.

Thanks for your input guys. Did I pay to much for it?
Old 01-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if the rpm is constant what exactly is the shaking feeling?

its not jerking from the car?

is it your suspension?

maybe your engine mounts are going out?
Old 01-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I exaggerated a bit I guess. Its just vibration. To me it felt like it was missing but I guess I am just not used to it. The RPM is constant so it probably doesn't have an issue.

Can you guys feel the motor vibrate while holding your steering wheel?
Old 01-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Trial User

The idle in my '02 with >130k is pretty smooth. I don't feel any vibration in the steering wheel.

About two years ago I did have to clean the IACV. I wasn't driving the car often at the time (about once a month), so I don't know if that contributed to it. That was causing an erratic idle. Normally you get the high idle on cold starts until the engine warms up. When the IACV was sticking, after the high idle period, the idle would oscillate because the valve was sticking. IIRC it's magnetically coupled, so the ECU would signal for it to change positions, it would stick, and as a result, air coming it at idle wasn't what it expected.

This past summer I had an error code for the primary O2 sensor heater. I reset it once, and then it went away for a couple of weeks, and then it came back. After a couple of weeks I replaced it. It never affected my idle. It was easy to change.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the same problem in my 06 type s. it def vibrates real bad. And i drove another type s before i chose mine and the other one did not feel like mine at all. and i also have a few o2 code come up.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by El3ments
I had my friend sit in it and he just thinks that was the way the car was made. He doesn't think the car shakes or vibrates abnormally. Does your cars vibrate? You can feel mine vibrate through the steering wheel.

The motor mounts are stock and look to be in good condition. We looked tonight.

As far as the check engine light we checked the codes tonight and it pulled 5 codes. All relating to the primary O2 sensor so its a sure thing now. That P1172 code pointed to a air/fuel issue and left me wondering if the O2 sensor really was the issue.

Am I just not used to the way this car idles? The RPMs are constant. It just seems rough to me.

Thanks for your input guys. Did I pay to much for it?
The sensor is the reason why u are getting the vibration. It also controls the air/fuel ratio. Whatever u do, do not buy a bosch sensor. I bought one and it only last two years. Replace the sensor and ur car will idle better and run better. I just replaced mine and all that went back to normal