Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

Question about updating the 2002-2004 RSX to the 2005-2006 setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about updating the 2002-2004 RSX to the 2005-2006 setup

I'm interested in the following "updates" to the 05-06 model year and I'm curious if you can definitely tell me if they can be applied to the 02-04MY

Originally Posted by From wiki DC5R page & also a sticky here on H-T
Body rigidity increased 15 percent in front and 21 percent in the rear through the application of reinforcements at key areas

Vehicle noise and vibrations reduced

Engine damper added to front subframe to reduce engine rocking and vibration transmitted from the engine to the cabin

Insulation material added at key points on doors and roof to reduce road noise

Side-mirror gaps sealed and weather strip added
From this I'm obviously concerned about road noise and engine vibration. I'm looking at buying an RSX Type-S (Black, White, or Blue) however I'm not completely sold on which MY to get based on my budget and needs.

I'm looking to spend 10-12k on the car and I want it to be very comfortable, quiet, and smooth. I have a 500+whp Evo 9, and I've DD'd a Dodge Neon R/T for some time... I know what quiet isn't.

My question is basically...how feasible is it ($ wise or is it even possible) to perform these updates to the 2002-2004MY chassis?

Thank you
Old 10-20-2011, 07:03 PM
DC5/EP3 MOD :)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Question about updating the 2002-2004 RSX to the 2005-2006 setup

Truthfully I feel compared to what you're driving a stock Type-S will be perfect the way it is.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by .RTErnie
I'm interested in the following "updates" to the 05-06 model year and I'm curious if you can definitely tell me if they can be applied to the 02-04MY

From this I'm obviously concerned about road noise and engine vibration. I'm looking at buying an RSX Type-S (Black, White, or Blue) however I'm not completely sold on which MY to get based on my budget and needs.

I'm looking to spend 10-12k on the car and I want it to be very comfortable, quiet, and smooth. I have a 500+whp Evo 9, and I've DD'd a Dodge Neon R/T for some time... I know what quiet isn't.

My question is basically...how feasible is it ($ wise or is it even possible) to perform these updates to the 2002-2004MY chassis?

Thank you
Man I havent seen your name in some time. I remember you shutting up alot of fanbois back in the day, with your "Neon" Well, like the guy above said, the RSX is a Caddy compared to the 2 cars you have listed. With that said, the car is a little stiff, and the 05-06 seats are better bolstered and padded and more comfortable that the 02-04 seats. Its a decent daily though if that is what youre after. In stock form there is NO cabin vibration. from any model year (one or two the mounts are liquid filled and absorb vibration well.) Once you start modding, comfort is the first to go(like most cars really)
Old 10-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I drove an 02 RSX Type S and an 06 Type S... both with ~50k miles

and the 02 was a dog compared to my neon. Steering was slow and sloppy, brakes were terrible, road noise even at 35mph was shockingly loud.... and it was gutless compared to a 180whp 2.4L Neon that weighs 2500 pounds. I was not really impressed with the car at all...and that's comparing it to a 1998 Neon Competition Coupe!

I went and drove the 06 and it was way better.
A) The rack ratio was certainly improved over the02 as well as feedback.
B) the brakes worked.
C) still gutless, but the change in gearing made it more driveable on the street.
D) road noise was far better than the 02 even @ 80mph in 6th.
E) the additional top end power wasn't significant, but it would seem to me that the midrange had improved some ~5k

The suspension doesn't bother me... as long as the dampers are tuned to the rate. The Evo has 12k/16k rates with Ohlin DFV's and it's pretty "aggressive" for a road going vehicle.

I'll be honest, I expected the RSX to blow my neon out of the water in every perforance category AND be a "cadillac." Thus my interest in driving 200 miles to go drive the two RSX's. I feel that I was let down a bit, as the change from the neon to the RSX wasn't as drastic as I had anticipated.

I will say the RSX looks far better, interior is 11million times better, and I dig the 6th gear overdrive. The Neon has a close ratio 5 speed with a 5th gear that is for acceleration not cruising. I run @ 4k rpms on the freeway at 70mph. (redline is 7200) which does great for freeway acceleration, but it doesn't help my MPGs. The neon got consistantly 28-32mpg with lots of on ramp WOT events. It's looking like the RSX *may* be able to match my current fuel economy.

The RSX will certainly protect me far better than the Neon can/or will. Which is a big selling point to be honest.

I'm pretty excited to make the switch to the RSX. I'm guessing that clubRSX is going to be the most highly visited RSX specific site? I'm getting tired of Evom... certainly tired of neons.org. I like H-T, but it seems the model specific crowd for this car is not here.

Feel free to set me straight on any of my previous comments.

btw the neon isn't stock and I've added a lot of insuluation and undercoating
Old 10-21-2011, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I drove an 02 RSX Type S and an 06 Type S... both with ~50k miles

and the 02 was a dog compared to my neon. Steering was slow and sloppy, brakes were terrible, road noise even at 35mph was shockingly loud.... and it was gutless compared to a 180whp 2.4L Neon that weighs 2500 pounds. I was not really impressed with the car at all...and that's comparing it to a 1998 Neon Competition Coupe!
I cant seem to find the specs on a 2.4 liter "competiion" 1998 Neon. You have a link? All of the "sporty" 1998 Neons I have come up with are 150hp, 2.0 liter engines. Is yours modded? Specifications for 1998 2.0L competion Neons put it far behind the RSX in every category.
I went and drove the 06 and it was way better.
A) The rack ratio was certainly improved over the02 as well as feedback.
B) the brakes worked.
C) still gutless, but the change in gearing made it more driveable on the street.
D) road noise was far better than the 02 even @ 80mph in 6th.
E) the additional top end power wasn't significant, but it would seem to me that the midrange had improved some ~5k
I cannot speak as to an 02. I have an 04 and none of the above applies. (with the exception of the steering. The 06 ratio IS tighter and does feel better.)

I'll be honest, I expected the RSX to blow my neon out of the water in every perforance category AND be a "cadillac." Thus my interest in driving 200 miles to go drive the two RSX's. I feel that I was let down a bit, as the change from the neon to the RSX wasn't as drastic as I had anticipated.
Not knowing anything about your Neon, I cant compare your numbers here. Based on what you have said though, you have a 2500lb car with a 2.4 liter engine vs. a 2700 lb car with a 2.0 L engine, and you expected better performance? I highly doubt the Neon will out perform the RSX at 6k+ rpms, but below that the Neon will likley have much better mid range and low end based simply on its displacement. All of the RSX's fancy valve and cam timing cannot over come that. Of course top end power has always been what Honda is about.
I will say the RSX looks far better, interior is 11million times better, and I dig the 6th gear overdrive. The Neon has a close ratio 5 speed with a 5th gear that is for acceleration not cruising. I run @ 4k rpms on the freeway at 70mph. (redline is 7200) which does great for freeway acceleration, but it doesn't help my MPGs. The neon got consistantly 28-32mpg with lots of on ramp WOT events. It's looking like the RSX *may* be able to match my current fuel economy.
I have had my car for 5 years now. 28-30 mpg is the norm for me. Others claim even better.

I'm pretty excited to make the switch to the RSX. I'm guessing that clubRSX is going to be the most highly visited RSX specific site? I'm getting tired of Evom... certainly tired of neons.org. I like H-T, but it seems the model specific crowd for this car is not here.
There are a lot of young foolish kids on clubrsx. But still it is absoloutley THEE best site on the web for RSX related topics. Tons of information can be found there. Blows this forum out of the water.

Its a cool car. Not perfect, but relatively trouble free. I think you may like it, if you make the switch. There are many who have had the RSX and then move on to something sportier, or more powerful, only to come back to the RSX because they realized the really liked driving it more.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My neon ran a 14.5 on bald street tires with an open diff. Full weight with me in it was 2550... trapped 98mph. I'm pretty sure the 02-04 RSX's run 15's stock.

good to hear on the mileage! I spent a little time at clubrsx today and figured out that the 05-06's are expensive to get K-pro software for. They want you to convert to an 02-04 ECU and then use a jumper harness...and then buy the Kpro. If you don't have an 02-04 ECU to use, the total price is 1750 dollars. LOL.

It cost me 100 dollars to start reflashing my Evo. 1750 seems rediculous for someone who wants to run a catless race header, intake manifold, and intake... MAYBE cams.... and have it tuned!

My vipec for my Evo was less than that!

Engine wise that really makes me want an 02-04, but I think the changes in the overall vehicle push me to the 05-06 still. Also when you do the 02-04 ECU conversion you throw a bunch of CELs and therefore they suggest you DISABLE your on board diagnostics! haha. Talk about being left behind. The 05-06 RSX people are basically left with running a Haltech/AEM ecu. Which...I think shouldn't be the case.

It would be nice if Hondata sold a better reflash for the 05-06 Type-S's. Their excuse that it would be too difficult to sell a flash tune for all the different applications is pretty silly. They could have 2 or 3 tunes which cover a few different entry level mods. My frustration with the situation is certainly justified, but I shouldn't be complaining too much as my intentions were to leave it very close to stock and just drive it.

I'm going to keep looking for reflash options and see if I can find anything else. ClubRSX is also strange because they sell RSX parts too. So I get the impression that if there may be a better solution to a problem, they wouldn't allow it to be promoted on their site.

DC5R,
Do you know if the Ohlin coilovers can still be purchased or if you have to find them second hand?
Old 10-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My neon ran a 14.5 on bald street tires with an open diff. Full weight with me in it was 2550... trapped 98mph. I'm pretty sure the 02-04 RSX's run 15's stock.
They run low 15's to high 14's stock. Mostly because of the all season tires they come with. You can get into mid14's with a good set of tires and launch.
good to hear on the mileage! I spent a little time at clubrsx today and figured out that the 05-06's are expensive to get K-pro software for. They want you to convert to an 02-04 ECU and then use a jumper harness...and then buy the Kpro. If you don't have an 02-04 ECU to use, the total price is 1750 dollars. LOL.
yes it is much easier to tune and play around with 02-04's.

DC5R,
Do you know if the Ohlin coilovers can still be purchased or if you have to find them second hand?
I do not know. The RSX chassis was quickly abandoned by professional racers because of the poor Mcstrut design up front, so develpoment of parts fell off. But there are some good brand name parts out there. CRSX will have the best prices for parts anywhere on the web. I gurantee it. Aslo there are some really sharp dudes in the autocross/suspension forums of that website who can tell you (in technical detail if you like) what works best on the street and on the track.

*FWIW I dont spend much time there anymore because one of the moderators is a douche with a god complex. He did not like me correcting him and found reasons to "temporarily" ban me, a couple of times.. Rather than play that game I just stopped frequenting the site.

Still, the archives are full of answers to questions you have not asked yet. It is good info.

Last edited by DCFIVER; 10-30-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There's a handful of internet vendors that have the Ohlins c/o's, they are a little tough to find in-stock though:

http://www.speedstar-racing.com/stor...21ff427dc72149

Good luck on Club RSX... astounding levels of stupidity & ignorance (think "Idiocracy", but as applied to a car forum); thankfully the autox/track subforum has some solid people.