Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

New tires on EP3 feel squishy during turns/cornering.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tires on EP3 feel squishy during turns/cornering.

Whats up, just got new tries put on today. They are Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires. The tire size is 215/45/17 on a 17X7, +45 MM, 5X114.3 Enkei RPF1 wheels. I used to have Toyo Extensa HP tires (same size) and they didnt feel like this ever. Basically when I am turning/cornering the car's tires feel squishy and floaty through the turn. It feels as if the car is kinda floating and just squishy for lack of a better description. I dont like this feeling at all, is this because the sidewall is soft or something? Will it get better with time? PS. the tire pressure is at 32 PSI.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: New tires on EP3 feel squishy during turns/cornering.

Sounds like tread squirm. All tires have this when the tread blocks are still large. It goes away as the tread wears down. You don't notice the slow change over time, but do notice the abrupt change when fresh tires are installed.

Could also be a softer sidewall combined with the tread squirm.

Are the tires already broken in, or are you taking risks pushing new tires?
Old 10-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TunerN00b
Sounds like tread squirm. All tires have this when the tread blocks are still large. It goes away as the tread wears down. You don't notice the slow change over time, but do notice the abrupt change when fresh tires are installed.

Could also be a softer sidewall combined with the tread squirm.

Are the tires already broken in, or are you taking risks pushing new tires?
Thank you for the speedy reply. The tires are brand spanking new, just got em on today and only have about 25 miles on em. Yeah I was thinking the sidwall is softer but my mechanic says its the same rating as my Toyos. And as for pushing I am just taking normal turns, nothing spirited yet. I guess as you said it could just be the new deep grooves/tread blocks, because the sidewall rating is the same as my Toyos and they didnt feel this way. Then again I cant exactly remember how my Toyos felt brand new, probably the same but I just forgot.

P.S. When/what mileage do you consider tires to be broken in?
Old 10-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Costco
Thank you for the speedy reply. The tires are brand spanking new, just got em on today and only have about 25 miles on em. Yeah I was thinking the sidwall is softer but my mechanic says its the same rating as my Toyos. And as for pushing I am just taking normal turns, nothing spirited yet. I guess as you said it could just be the new deep grooves/tread blocks, because the sidewall rating is the same as my Toyos and they didnt feel this way. Then again I cant exactly remember how my Toyos felt brand new, probably the same but I just forgot.

P.S. When/what mileage do you consider tires to be broken in?
About 500 miles to "break in" tires. During this time, the mold release compound slowly burns out of the rubber. Until then, they're not going to offer the expected traction.

Braking distances are increased during the break in period, something to keep in mind.

You can also do a large burnout, rotate tires front to back, and do another large burnout, to speed break in, but this isn't exactly kind to the car or tires...

What's being referenced in regards to "sidewall rating"? Tires have a size and a load rating, but nothing that would indicate the stiffness of the sidewall.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Post Re: New tires on EP3 feel squishy during turns/cornering.

Originally Posted by TunerN00b
About 500 miles to "break in" tires. During this time, the mold release compound slowly burns out of the rubber. Until then, they're not going to offer the expected traction.

Braking distances are increased during the break in period, something to keep in mind.

You can also do a large burnout, rotate tires front to back, and do another large burnout, to speed break in, but this isn't exactly kind to the car or tires...

What's being referenced in regards to "sidewall rating"? Tires have a size and a load rating, but nothing that would indicate the stiffness of the sidewall.
Thanks for the info, as for the reference to sidewall rating. I dont know thats what he said but what you said makes sense and is correct. One more question, how would one know the sidewall stiffness? Reason I ask is because some people complain that certain brands have softer sidewalls than other brands, guess the best thing to do is ask around or read reviews since there is no rating for sidewall hardness/stiffness?
Old 10-06-2011, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Costco
Thanks for the info, as for the reference to sidewall rating. I dont know thats what he said but what you said makes sense and is correct. One more question, how would one know the sidewall stiffness? Reason I ask is because some people complain that certain brands have softer sidewalls than other brands, guess the best thing to do is ask around or read reviews since there is no rating for sidewall hardness/stiffness?
Other than to find a trusted source of testing, there is really no way to know the sidewall stiffness.

And you can't even go off of brand either, as a given brand will use a stiffer sidewall in some tire than in others, and even different sidewall stiffness in different sizes of the same model of tire.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would up the psi a little... I ran 37-40 psi most of the time on 225-45-17... also give them about 250 miles to really break in.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

TunerN00b knows his tires. There isn't a sidewall rating, your mechanic was probably just referring to the size which is the same. But yes different tires DO have different sidewall hardnesses. I've driven on the Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires and they feel squishy to me too (compared to say - Dunlop Direzza star specs).

Something else to keep in mind is tread wear rating. The tire manufactures set this number themselves, it's not a regulated DOT number and doesn't meet/comply with any standards or specifications. So one brand might say 320 treadwear and another brand is 280, but they could wear the same. It's difficult comparing apples to oranges.

The reviews on tirerack.com are really helpful, but keep in mind who wrote the reviews.. lots of idiots with opinions out there
Old 10-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turboteg2nv
Something else to keep in mind is tread wear rating. The tire manufactures set this number themselves, it's not a regulated DOT number and doesn't meet/comply with any standards or specifications. So one brand might say 320 treadwear and another brand is 280, but they could wear the same. It's difficult comparing apples to oranges.

My last set of "200 treadwear" tires (RT-615 Azenis), are commonly reported to last around 10k-12k street miles. My current set of "180 trearwear" tires (Potenza RE-11) are generally reported to be good for 15k miles. Somehow the lower rated tires generally last for 25% - 50% more miles (and manage to provide superior traction too)...

Originally Posted by turboteg2nv
The reviews on tirerack.com are really helpful, but keep in mind who wrote the reviews.. lots of idiots with opinions out there

Most of the higher performance tires have lower reviews because people buying them expect "race tire" performance, or are upset that their super grippy tires only lasted 12k miles (or are loud, or suck in the snow, etc...), while most of the cheap tires have good reviews because the people who buy those only expect them to hold air and be round.

Expectations seriously taint opinions.

Originally Posted by DaveSi677
I would up the psi a little... I ran 37-40 psi most of the time on 225-45-17... also give them about 250 miles to really break in.
The manufacturer recommends a pressure for the vehicle based on many factors, which include (but is not limited to) weight, weight distribution, and ride quality. Blindly upping the pressure can result in uneven wear and reduced cornering performance, but will result in increased braking distances and decreased ride quality.

Pressure adjustments for street cars should be based off of wear patterns and the preference of a well informed driver. Lacking the latter, always start off with the recommended pressure for the car and adjust based on wear patterns, even when changing tire and/or wheel sizes.

I see nothing wrong with a 3-5 psi increase over the recommended pressure as an experiment to improve turn in. Buy a tread depth gauge (paid $0.99 for mine) and check the tread regularly. If the center seems to be wearing faster than the shoulders, it's too much pressure.

All that said, my bet is still on mold release compound from unbroken in tires with full tread blocks causing the floaty sensation. I've hated every single new pair of tires at first, because no new tire will ever feel as planted as a well worn in tire (except for shaved tires, but we don't normally do that).
Old 10-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

shouldn't have bought winter tires this early