Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-rsx-dc5-honda-civic-ep3-32/)
-   -   Light fluttering sound under load (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-rsx-dc5-honda-civic-ep3-32/light-fluttering-sound-under-load-3328416/)

Nerdnda 10-05-2018 10:50 AM

Light fluttering sound under load

Hey all, I just got an 02 SiR (K20A3). I haven't driven a Civic in quite a while before this, so I'm not sure on this. I'm getting this light, high-pitched fluttering sound. It's not a rattle, squeal, or vibration; I would liken it to a constant cricket chirp, but quieter.

Some troubleshooting info:
  • Consistently heard under load, any gear, any speed, any RPM
  • Heard in neutral, but much quieter
  • Does not change pitch or volume with revs or throttle position. It's just on or off
  • I can only hear it from the interior. If I pop the hood and rev it by the throttle cable, everything sounds normal.
  • Everything else is normal, no power loss, runs smooth
I've changed oil and filter, changed air filter, checked fluids. Everything looks pretty good, though the service belts could probably be changed.Is this normal? What else should I be looking for?

thisguyaves 10-06-2018 01:10 PM

Re: Light fluttering sound under load

Does it change with clutch position? i.e. clutch in, no sound, clutch out, chriping? Sounds like an input bearing or throw out bearing if that's the case.

Nerdnda 10-06-2018 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by thisguyaves (Post 51747633)
Does it change with clutch position? i.e. clutch in, no sound, clutch out, chriping? Sounds like an input bearing or throw out bearing if that's the case.

Nope. Clutch position makes no difference. In/out, sounds exactly the same.

If I listen very closely, I can hear the sound progressing upwards and downwards corresponding to the opening and closing of throttle. Also interesting, I can hear it somewhat when I rev in neutral while moving, but almost not at all revving while parked, which makes me think it's just air movement. Maybe this is just the way the intake sounds on this car and I'm not used to it? :P

thisguyaves 10-06-2018 02:20 PM

a video would be helpful. Also check that any splash guards and engine bay plastics are secured. Any modifications to the intake? (Short ram / cold air?) My short ram whistles a bit hahah

Nerdnda 10-06-2018 02:22 PM

a video would be helpful.
It never seems to work well without good recording gear, but I'll give it a try.

Also check that any splash guards and engine bay plastics are secured.
Will do.

Any modifications to the intake?
Intake is stock. Everything else looks to be stock as well.

Nerdnda 10-06-2018 05:33 PM

OK, the recording actually turned out quite well: Recording of fluttering sound.

thisguyaves 10-07-2018 08:14 AM

Sounds like CV axles to me. Jack the car up and give eash axle a solid shaek forward-backward, in-out and see if the rattle a lot. Notice it in the sharp turns?

Nerdnda 10-07-2018 08:17 AM

Sounds like CV axles to me. Jack the car up and give eash axle a solid shaek forward-backward, in-out and see if the rattle a lot. Notice it in the sharp turns?
Thanks, I'll take a look, but I kind of doubt it. I just bought this car and it wouldn't have passed inspection if the CV joints were bad. Steering doesn't affect the noise one way or the other.

I was thinking maybe exhaust leak, but I thought those tend to be a lower, more rattle-like sound.

Nerdnda 10-07-2018 12:22 PM

CV boots are fine.

If I bend down by the driver's side wheel, I can just barely hear it while it's idling. Maybe it's just the intake?

hdaug 10-07-2018 07:08 PM

Hello,
From everything I am reading, a clicking when making sharp turns at low speeds seems to be the CV Axle. from the sound of it, it is coming form the drivers side. I am trying to get a hold of a replacement, but none of the parts stores have one in their system. I have a 2015 Accrod EXL V-6. If someone could point me in the direction of a part number and where I can buy it, I would be grateful.

Nerdnda 10-07-2018 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by hdaug (Post 51748232)
Hello,
From everything I am reading, a clicking when making sharp turns at low speeds seems to be the CV Axle. from the sound of it, it is coming form the drivers side. I am trying to get a hold of a replacement, but none of the parts stores have one in their system. I have a 2015 Accrod EXL V-6. If someone could point me in the direction of a part number and where I can buy it, I would be grateful.

Umm.... did you reply in the wrong thread?

hdaug 10-07-2018 07:33 PM

I did, sorry. I was looking for a way to ask my question and it wasnt until i posted to your thread that i realized my mistake.

Nerdnda 10-07-2018 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by hdaug (Post 51748240)
I did, sorry. I was looking for a way to ask my question and it wasnt until i posted to your thread that i realized my mistake.

Haha no problem, got a free bump out of it :cheers:

Nerdnda 10-08-2018 03:37 PM

So, I had a mechanic buddy come along for a ride. He says it's just the intake sound, nothing to worry about.

thisguyaves 10-09-2018 11:23 AM

That's good. Make sure the intake is still attached to the engine bay as well lol