Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

K20A2/K20Z1 Low Oil Pressure

Old 03-02-2019, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K20A2/K20Z1 Low Oil Pressure

Long story short - I have a 2006 type S that I bought from an owner who decided to continue to drive the car with an overheating motor, resulting in both the head and the block warping. To sum things up, I kept some of the bolt ons from the motor and went ahead and found a good deal on a K20A2 bottom end and a K20Z1 head. I freshened up both the head and block with all OEM parts including rings, bearings, valve seals, head gasket, etc, etc.

So once the car warms up, the oil light will start to flash, then shortly after it will stay lit. If I tap the gas or rev the car up, the light goes away, but as soon as it falls back to idle, the light illuminated again. I also get what seems to be whether a timing chain slap noise or a VTC actuator noise both of startup and at certain RPMs while driving. The VTC actuator is brand new OEM.

The oil pump, oil pump guides, oil pump chain, oil pump chain tensioner, timing chain, timing chain guides and timing chain tensioner are all brand new OEM.

I thought at first that maybe it was just an oil pressure switch problem, so I bought a new switch, but that didn’t do it, so I hooked up the oil pressure gauge in place of the switch and read the oil pressure.

According to the FSM, the oil pressure at idle should be 10 psi at minimum and 40 psi at 3,000 RPMs at minimum. Well, my idle pressure was around 4 psi and my 3,000 RPM pressure was around 25 psi, so my oil pressure is definitely lower than allowed.

As dumb as it may sound, I thought about just trying to shim the pump to bump up the oil pressure, but maybe I should just find the real issue it’s having.

Also, I changed the oil and put 10w40 in it to see if that would help, and it did not.

I’m not exactly sure where to continue going about this, so any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

- DJ
Old 03-02-2019, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts
Default Re: K20A2/K20Z1 Low Oil Pressure

What type of main bearings did you put into the short block ???
Old 03-03-2019, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GSR_ITR_BOIB
I freshened up both the head and block with all OEM parts including rings, bearings, valve seals, head gasket, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by JRCivic1
What type of main bearings did you put into the short block ???
Old 03-03-2019, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How did you know what colors to use ???
Old 03-03-2019, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How did you know what colors to use ???
From the codes written on the block and on the crank???
Old 03-04-2019, 01:54 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

You didn’t mic the bearings and check clearances?
Old 03-04-2019, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From the codes written on the block and on the crank???
Your answer is the obvious answer IF the block main journals and the crankshaft are totally virgin. However, if the crank has been micro-polished and/or the block main journals have been line honed/bored... then using the stock colors from the block and crank markings would set the oil clearances too big unfortunately. It only takes ONE bearing clearance to be too big and you can lose enough oil pressure to cause problems. If you think your bearings are good on clearances... what about an oil galley plug or O-ring being missing or loose ???
Old 03-05-2019, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your answer is the obvious answer IF the block main journals and the crankshaft are totally virgin. However, if the crank has been micro-polished and/or the block main journals have been line honed/bored... then using the stock colors from the block and crank markings would set the oil clearances too big unfortunately. It only takes ONE bearing clearance to be too big and you can lose enough oil pressure to cause problems. If you think your bearings are good on clearances... what about an oil galley plug or O-ring being missing or loose ???
I apologize for coming off as rude - I shouldn’t have been so smart about it. I’m just really, really fed up with this motor. Coming from the world of B series, I’ve never ran into so many issues before. I can build a B series and be in spec with my eyes closed. Then again, I suppose this is the first K that I’ve gotten this in depth with...

Anyways, unfortunately I did not mic the main journals on the crank, I did not mic the bearings, I did not check the main journals in the block with tri-mics or a bore gauge, and I did not plastigage when I put the bearing in. As a CNC machinist who is always very meticulous with everything he does, and has a great deal of finesse, I’m very ashamed to say that, but unfortunately, just like everybody else in the world, I get to be in a great hurry sometimes too. This time, it just may have cost me some time and money that I didn’t want to spend.

Though I did not check any clearances, being a machinist - nothing stuck out to me on the crank or the journals in the block as far as machining marks go. In other words, it did not look like the crank was polished in any way, nor did it look like the main journals were align honed. Everything looked pretty ‘stock’ to me.

In hopes that my oil pressure issue is NOT coming from the main bearings (or maybe even the rod bearings), what else could I check? Does anybody have maybe a diagram on the whole oil pressure system, or a checklist of what all I can check? Maybe I am just missing an o-ring or a bolt of some sort may be loose. I’m trying to stay positive and have wishful thinking, as I won’t be a very happy camper if I have to pull that motor out again... Could my ($40) cheap oil pressure gauge be faulty by chance?

Anyways, here’s an update to what I did over the past few days - I shimmed the oil pump relief spring with a .070” shim and resealed the spring sealing bolt, I resealed the sealing bolt that goes into the main cap cover, I tried blowing compressed air through the port to the oil switch incase something was clogged up, but it seemed like the air moved through freely, and I changed the oil yet again and put a Honda OEM oil filter on it. The oil pressure is worse now than it was before. I get maybe 1-2 psi at idle now and about 15 psi at 3,000 RPMs.

I’m lost. Any suggestions?
Old 03-05-2019, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No apology necessary... many of us here have experienced your level of frustration at some point I assure you. I suggest you examine the bearings again and see if there is any damage to them. Does the oil have "glitter" in it when drained ??? With the engine still in the engine bay, it is difficult to properly check the oil clearance of the main bearings unless you can create a way to support both ends of the crankshaft and remove the weight of the crankshaft from increasing the "smear" of the plasti-gauge that you are measuring with. Let us know what you find and we will try to help. Pictures will help us help you.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No apology necessary... many of us here have experienced your level of frustration at some point I assure you. I suggest you examine the bearings again and see if there is any damage to them. Does the oil have "glitter" in it when drained ??? With the engine still in the engine bay, it is difficult to properly check the oil clearance of the main bearings unless you can create a way to support both ends of the crankshaft and remove the weight of the crankshaft from increasing the "smear" of the plasti-gauge that you are measuring with. Let us know what you find and we will try to help. Pictures will help us help you.
I think at some point later today or tomorrow, I’m going to check the VTC solenoid and screen, along with the VTEC solenoid screen (even though they are both brand new), and probably run a bottle of some kind of detergent or maybe auto tranny fluid in the motor to free up a (hopefully) clogged oil passage.

If no luck from any of the above, I suppose I will start looking into bearings.
Old 12-11-2023, 08:17 PM
Trial User

I think at some point later today or tomorrow, I’m going to check the VTC solenoid and screen, along with the VTEC solenoid screen (even though they are both brand new), and probably run a bottle of some kind of detergent or maybe auto tranny fluid in the motor to free up a (hopefully) clogged oil passage.

If no luck from any of the above, I suppose I will start looking into bearings.
By chance were you ever able to tackle the low oil pressure issue? I’m having a very similar problem after a k20z1 tear down and rebuild with all new internals both bottom and top end. My oil light comes on at idle but the moment you bump the throttle it goes off. I had no idea about the bearing clearance causing loss of pressure from being to much oil clearance. The main and rod bearings were right at .001 when I checked my bearing to journal clearance. which if I remember correctly to be in spec is no more then .002 I installed King bearings on my used stock crank, and new skunk2 H-beam rods. Oversized 86.5mm CP pistons but non high compression. I got a flat top piston cuz the plan is to go turbo when I have the funds. Think my ratio is 9:5 which is down from 11:1 from the factory or somewhere around there. . Just bought the Haltech platinum pro stand alone EMS so that was 1600 and just a few months before that im into my build for 5+grand for just internals and machine work. Well there was timing and clutch parts as well, oil pump etc. pretty much wanted the whole thing new except for the housings. Next will be tranny rebuild or turbo but def want to tackle this oil light issue. The motor does not act like it’s starving for oil and revs up to 9grand beautifully. Not sure how high I can go with the parts inside but will turn up the limiter after it gets fully tuned. This dealer I called wants 1,000.00 for the tune. They said 200 hr and it’ll take 5 hours. Does that sound about average?