Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

K20a2 Cam Timing Out...VTC Problem???

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K20a2 Cam Timing Out...VTC Problem???

Hello All,

Working on a 2003 RSX Type S that had a no start problem. I've pulled the timing cover and verified the timing is out. The pics below show the cam gears when the crankshaft is at TDC.

Surprisingly the tensioner appears to be undamaged. Is it possible the VTC cam gear is engaged? Not sure if this is even possible or not. Just curious how the issue occurred. Engine looks well kept with regular oil changes.

Pics to come..
Attached Images     
Old 11-11-2016, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: K20a2 Cam Timing Out...VTC Problem???

Hello All,

Working on a 2003 RSX Type S that had a no start problem. I've pulled the timing cover and verified the timing is out. The pics below show the cam gears when the crankshaft is at TDC.

Surprisingly the tensioner appears to be undamaged. Is it possible the VTC cam gear is engaged? Not sure if this is even possible or not. Just curious how the issue occurred before I remove chain and do leakdown test to check the valves. Engine looks well kept with regular oil changes. I heard of the timing chains stretching but figured that may only cause it to be a tooth off or so.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 795 Likes on 735 Posts

The engine you have pictured above is out of mechanical time. This phenomenon is totally separate from a possible VTC issue... the intake cam outer ring/timing gear stays fixed in relation to the exhaust cam and crankshaft, whereas, the mechanism inside the circumference of the outer timing teeth allows the intake camshaft to move. In order for this action to be accurate, the relationship between the intake cam, exhaust cam, and crankshaft are indexed.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
The engine you have pictured above is out of mechanical time. This phenomenon is totally separate from a possible VTC issue... the intake cam outer ring/timing gear stays fixed in relation to the exhaust cam and crankshaft, whereas, the mechanism inside the circumference of the outer timing teeth allows the intake camshaft to move. In order for this action to be accurate, the relationship between the intake cam, exhaust cam, and crankshaft are indexed.
Good to know, I haven't had much experience working with K motors with VTC so I wanted to rule it out. Yes it is definitely out of time. The timing chain is not loose, however, so I am curious why this occurred...or if any of you have had a similar experience.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just an update...

The timing chain stretched due to the tensioner failing. Surprisingly the motor did not bend any valves in the process. The engine is now back up and running after replacing the chain, tensioner, and chain guides.