Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-rsx-dc5-honda-civic-ep3-32/)
-   -   K-Series Frankenstein? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-rsx-dc5-honda-civic-ep3-32/k-series-frankenstein-3329912/)

Nate8o8_EP3 11-04-2018 01:06 AM

K-Series Frankenstein?

So I'm on the debate, and I need input on the idea of it. Since I have the K20A3, I wanted to swap out the block with a K24A and I was wondering if I should keep the head from the A3 or if I should just dump the whole thing after I pick up a different head? I originally wasn't gonna go with it, but the idea sounds very appealing. I had originally planned and sticking with the whole A3 and swapping out to Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams and forged pistons and eagle rods then boost. Still unsure what brand on that. Any input would be nice. Please and thank you!

Also, this is my first build so in the process of trial and error with everything you could say. Do I also have to change my harness? And how would I remap my K-Pro?

thisguyaves 11-04-2018 08:13 AM

Re: K-Series Frankenstein?

Dump the whole thing. The A3 has no true vtec on the exhaust lobe. You'd either need to get crazy cams that mimic vtec or just a new head from something like an RSX-S, TSX, 06+ Si... The head vs the cams are about the same price honestly, and the upgraded head will have more future potential. I am personally building a JDM K24A block with a 09 Si K20Z3 head, aiming for 250 hp NA. The only harness changes would be to accomodate different sensors (I think my JDM block uses a different crank sensor) and yes, you will need a new kpro map, but I don't know enough to weigh in on that other than look for a preset that's close to what you build.

tommycrx 11-05-2018 03:44 AM

You can download a base map remotely with laptop and wifi. But what you should really do is get it professionally tuned soon afterwards.

Nate8o8_EP3 11-05-2018 12:23 PM

Where online could I find one?

Nate8o8_EP3 11-06-2018 11:16 AM

Also, was doing some more research, instead of going with the K24 block, what if I was to keep the A3 block and swap the head with either an A2 or the Z3? Trying to get the best performance on a budget is my goal.

thisguyaves 11-06-2018 11:29 AM

A3 block is low performance, low compression, not as well ballanced... I rarely see any A2 heads on an A3 block exceed 190 hp, the compression just isn't there

tommycrx 11-06-2018 11:49 AM

Frankensteins don't really make sense for our cars, imho. For dowloading maps, you'd have to deal with Hondata directly; I don't know of any available map databases outside of their pool, though I'm sure they exist.

Nate8o8_EP3 11-10-2018 05:45 PM

Ohkay. So a co-worker of mine was able to give me some more info about getting a new map for my K-Pro. But another question popped up, so I've decided, I'm gonna be dumping my A3 and planning on pulling out a Z3 from an 06 Si, it does need a full overhaul since it was a blown head gasket (got it for CHEAP) with no Trans. The question is, would I be able to swap it over and put it in with my 5-Speed Trans? I doubt it but it's something that popped into my mind. If not, would I be able to use a Trans off an A2?

JRCivic1 11-10-2018 08:36 PM

Either the A3 or a2 trans will work fine.

thisguyaves 11-11-2018 08:48 AM

Manual K series transmissions from the civics up to '12 and the RSXs are all basically the same case, if not the internals can be moved over to a compatible case.

The 6th gear and LSD is worth it, try to get one if you can

thisguyaves 11-11-2018 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by tommycrx (Post 51774356)
Frankensteins don't really make sense for our cars, imho. For dowloading maps, you'd have to deal with Hondata directly; I don't know of any available map databases outside of their pool, though I'm sure they exist.

K20 heads like the A2, Z1, Z3s tend to flow better than their K24 counterparts because the engines are expected to rev higher. K24s, having a larger displacement which generate more torque. So I wouldn't say a frank build is pointless. A well build K24 from the TSX or sport accord with true vtec and a head porting would perform just as well, though

Pat Mathew 01-13-2020 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by tommycrx (Post 51774356)

K manager is free to install. The base maps will be installed in a subdirectory along with the installation.

JonPfun 01-14-2020 07:45 AM

After having a K20A2 in my EP3 when it was purchased. To then building a K24A4(TSX Internals) K20A2 head frank build. To then finally adding a ITR 6 speed with LSD, there are a ton of options for swaps/power levels that are much easier or harder.

A full K20A2 swap with 6 speed is definitely the easiest and best bang for your buck. You can use a Kpro flash tune that basically runs it as a stock A2 which is super easy and mostly fool proof. The 5 to 6 speed swap is easily the biggest upgrade for overall acceleration and keeping the car in vtec. LSD makes any FWD car and entirely different vehicle, a whole other class tbh.

K24's are amazingly torque and gives you a lot of power without being in vtec, but definitely don't rev as high or quickly as K20's.

lolv8s 01-23-2020 04:09 AM

I have been researching this topic for awhile now and I’m curious as to what K24 blocks would fit my K20 head that is from my 2006 Civic Si. Would all K24 blocks be usable? Any specific K24 block I should look for? Like a K24A2, or K24A3? I’m asking this question because I don’t want to get a certain K24 block that wouldn’t work at all with my K20 head. That is, if any K24 blocks would not work with my K20 head

JRCivic1 01-23-2020 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by lolv8s (Post 52091485)
I have been researching this topic for awhile now and I’m curious as to what K24 blocks would fit my K20 head that is from my 2006 Civic Si. Would all K24 blocks be usable? Any specific K24 block I should look for? Like a K24A2, or K24A3? I’m asking this question because I don’t want to get a certain K24 block that wouldn’t work at all with my K20 head. That is, if any K24 blocks would not work with my K20 head

The K20Z3 cylinder head is a direct bolt-on for any K24A series short block (K24A1, K24A2, K24A4 for sure)... slight modifications to one oil drain back passage is required to mate the K20Z3 cylinder head to K24Z series blocks.