Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

Just Checked out the NEW Honda Integra TYPE-R!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2001, 10:09 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Checked out the NEW Honda Integra TYPE-R!!!

Hi all,

Well I'm not supposed to tell anyone how I saw the car but I just did!
So don't ask me how!

All I can say about the car is that I'M VERY DISSAPOINTED! I just can't believe Honda Australia would do this!
Exterior - From the front (first glimps), everything looked normal. As soon as I saw the rims, I pretty much freaked out. They were 16inch RS-X rims but re-sprayed in the gun metal finish with the red honda emblem in the centre. Look behind the rim and 'WHAT?'.... silver calipers? where's the Brembo's? then i started to think it wasn't a Type-R. But... it had the type-R stickers on the side. Although it did have aprox 295mm front rotors. Not sure how big are the JDM's. And for some reason, the car was sitting really high, like if it didn't have the ITR's suspension. Looked like it could climb rocks and drive through water!

Interior - WOW! Red Recaro seats!! looks the same as the JDM. Quickly jumped in and sat on the cool seats. It feels almost the same as the DC2's recaro seats but alot wider. Specially in the lower part of the seat (Big people complaining about the old tight seats?). Everything inside looked the same as the pictures I've seen of the JDM ITR. Everything apart from the redline on the taco! 7900rpm's? (Whats the redline on the RS-X Type-S?). Popped the bonnet and WTF? where are the red rocker covers? Looks like the Type-S engine (200hp)

From a few sources, not official, we have a 200hp Type-S engine instead of a real de-tunned ITR. I don't know if it has an LSD, Lighter flywheel, some special stuff on the gears... I don't even think it's a Type-R. It really looks like a Type-S based chassis with the engine and Type-R clothing. I'm not sure if Honda Australia are trying to cut cost to bring the price tag down or are they trying to rip us off and make some big dollars.

Anyways, the official release date here in Australia for the new ITR is in 1st September. I'll be sure to book a test drive and see what it's like. I don't think I will buy it the way it is, because... looks like it's Factory rice prepped!

Honda Australia
Old 08-20-2001, 12:29 AM
New User

Default Re: Just Checked out the NEW Honda Integra TYPE-R!!! (Mugen_R)

My worst nightmare just turned true.

The WRX, the 200SX and now the Type R. They all had been detuned for Australia.

I was hoping the Type R can stay as close to the Japanese spec as possible. Honda Australia should at lease give customers the option to spec up via the options route and I am hoping that will be the case. If not, I simply won't purchase the car!
There is no way I am going to buy a new Type R with increased weight (100Kg) but with modicum increases in the HP compartment.

The bulletin under the Honda Australia Web site in a joke. I posted two messages and they never post. They were regarding the specifications of the Aussie type R.

Disappointed... Might go and purchase a 2nd hand STi!
Old 08-20-2001, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think I will buy it the way it is, because... looks like it's Factory rice prepped!

Honda Australia
and YOUR type-r isn't?
Old 08-20-2001, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just Checked out the NEW Honda Integra TYPE-R!!! (iNteGraz92)

iNteGraz92,And you name isn't?Rice boy Man that sucks.I hope they don'y dp that to the U.S ITR.
Old 08-20-2001, 04:12 PM
len
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I'm not supposed to tell anyone how I saw the car but I just did!
So don't ask me how!
What's so secretive about it? Did you have to sign a sworn statement that you wouldn't tell or something? I don't get it. The car is out in Japan and all the specs are public. Why is it so secretive in Aussie? Is it getting a different front end? Eh...I dun get...

You know how ignorant us Americans are...Sorry
Old 08-20-2001, 05:28 PM
New User

Default Re: Just Checked out the NEW Honda Integra TYPE-R!!! (iNteGraz92)

I don't think I will buy it the way it is, because... looks like it's Factory rice prepped!

Honda Australia
and YOUR type-r isn't?
Well jackass lets just see, The us Type-R has the Dun dundundahhhh Type-R motor so calling it a Type-R would probably be fitting.
Old 08-20-2001, 05:39 PM
New User

Default Re: Just Checked out the NEW Honda Integra TYPE-R!!! (ILOVERACING)

Well, only because it hasn't been released to the public and I can get someone in trouble.

Riced? Our DC2 ITR's are alot closer to the JDM ones compared to the USDM ones
Old 08-20-2001, 06:08 PM
New User

This has been reported on the board I moderate as well. A ITR using RSX Type S engine. Yes 7900 rpm is RSX-S limit. I believe the JDM ITR has 8400 RPM still.
Old 08-20-2001, 06:10 PM
len
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just Checked out the NEW Honda Integra TYPE-R!!! (F20C)

Could it possibly be a fake? or perhaps a sports package like the Celica? with Type R stickers? :shrugs:
Old 08-20-2001, 06:13 PM
New User

The people only confirm Type S engine. They did not say about the whole package.
Old 08-21-2001, 12:33 AM
New User

hm......strange!....i guess im gonna have to see it for myself and perhaps a test drive!.......damn!!
Old 08-22-2001, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Another disgraceful rort by Honda aust it seems. I'm gonna drop by my dealer 1st of Sept and suss it out. Either way looks like were getting a pretender version of the new R.

Any rumours of the RRP???
Old 08-22-2001, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just Checked out the NEW Honda Integra TYPE-R!!! (Bloodwynch)

that would suck if it was just the rsx-s engine, although 216hp isnt too much difference.
Old 08-23-2001, 07:25 PM
len
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just Checked out the NEW Honda Integra TYPE-R!!! (quikrpm1)

that would suck if it was just the rsx-s engine, although 216hp isnt too much difference.
Is that what the Type R tradition is all about? Pure muscle?
Old 08-23-2001, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no its not all about the muscle, but i would of hoped that they would of bumped it higher, 230 would be much nicer. Somewhere inbetween the s2000 (240) and prelude (220). just my oppinion.
Old 08-24-2001, 09:18 AM
New User

Default Re: Just Checked out the NEW Honda Integra TYPE-R!!! (quikrpm1)

Power isn't always the answer. It's the whole package...

The DC2 ITR wasn't that quick in the straight line, on the track up against cars with almost double it's power still can't keep up with it. Cornering speed, braking and the feedback is just awesome. That's what makes the ITR's a great track car. It's not the best car ever built.... but It will surely go in the books for a 'LEGEND' in it's time....

Old 08-24-2001, 09:41 PM
New User

So basically the Aus ITR is equipped with a Type-S engine with some slight mods like Cold Air Intakes and stuff like that?
Old 08-25-2001, 09:46 PM
New User

"on the track up against cars with almost double it's power still can't keep up with it. " I would take that with a pinch of salt.

The Type R was honed by Honda to improve in the handling department. There wasn't much room to ameliorate with the 1.8l mill without going the route to turbocharging. When ever I race my cousin's type R against cars with a V8 or a Turbo charge mill, its lack of torque shows. I always have to keep the car in its optimal path and if I made a mistake, the car would take a comparitively longer time to pick its speed up than the 'big torque monsters' Its quite laborious. Fun for a while but most of the time, not fast enough to win a race. On the street its even worse cause most of the time its a stop start race so I wouldn't even bother to race people.

After stepping out of my 95 MR2 turbo (running 1.2 bar) and into a Type R, the Type R feels too slow on the straight to be competitive. I do enjoy the driving experience, however.
Old 08-27-2001, 05:36 AM
New User

Default Re: Just Checked out the NEW Honda Integra TYPE-R!!! (RFanatic)

RFanatic,

when i refer to racing, i mean on a racing track, not a 1/4mile track. Take your MR2 Turbo to Wakefield next time we are going down and i'll show u what a stock (engine wise) integra type-R can do up against a car like yours! you'd be suprised!

Your straight line speed might be alot faster, but remember, the Type-R has one of the highest cornering speed = higher exit speed. The straights don't last forever too.

Old 08-28-2001, 11:41 PM
New User

I know the R can turn. I had a Integra VTi-R previously, modded (suspension, header...) The most obvious difference I found with the MR2Turbo and the Teg is the confidence factor when driving hard. The turbo just swat my hand whenever I step on the accelerator (on the straight) and in a corner forget about full throttling. The Teg gives me nice linear power delivery and I can full throttle over a lot of corners.

I still stick to me gun with the comment that the R is not as fast as people believe it is. A car can corner fast is not sufficient to be qualify as a fast car. The straight doesn't last forever but nor do corners and its more dangerous to loss control during cornering than on the straight. I know you got a lot of repect for the R and so do I. But to over hype its performance is against my self religion and I just have to comment in.

Peace.
Old 08-29-2001, 12:09 AM
New User

the R is not a super fast car but its a ****in well balanced and very capable car in the right hands!!!! PERIOD!
Old 08-29-2001, 01:51 AM
New User

Well, like me.. i believe the R can go up against turbo cars on the track. Like I said, take your car to the next track meet (aprox 2 months time) and we'll compare? You can't compare a VTiR against a Type-R, 2 totally different cars. Even though you had suspension...

Let me know if your interested in going on the track. It's at Wakefield Park.
Old 08-29-2001, 02:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey mugen_r, what's your current ride now since your accident?
You considering the DC5?
Old 08-29-2001, 01:49 PM
e
New User

Hmmm;Can we say Boycot for the realdeal>> Im the kind of person were i want it all or nothing,,, nothing less than the best!!!
Old 08-29-2001, 02:28 PM
New User

Bloodwynch,

I really don't know, I would like to take the car to the track alot and have it more race prepped. I don't think I can afford to do that with the Type-R. Can't afford to F**K it up on the track if you know what i mean. I'm thinking of a hybrid. Either the classic EG or the EK... and of course, a B18C spec R heart!... deciding...

Quick Reply: Just Checked out the NEW Honda Integra TYPE-R!!!