Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

Intermediate shaft to transmission metal dust cover loose

Old 08-10-2017, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermediate shaft to transmission metal dust cover loose

Hello everyone,

I have a 2002 EP3 Si Civic. I've got the opportunity to enter it in a rallycross here next week. We had set it to the side of the house due to a whine, we thought wheel bearing, on the passenger side that is most noticeable at 65+mph. Getting under the car to see what the problem actually is I discovered this metal ring loose on the intermediate shaft. It appears to just be a dust cover for the rubber seal in the transmission. I did some searching but all threads are old and only mention this cover in passing. Looking around the seal it does not appear to be leaking, just a small about of debris spattered on its surface. So how do you adhere this cover to the seal? Being an off road race it would be best to get this back on there if possible.

Thanks in advance
Attached Images   
Old 12-13-2018, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Intermediate shaft to transmission metal dust cover loose

Bump because I have the exact same issue on my EM1 Civic. I was just going to try to tap it back into place... figuring if it was fixed and not moving, then it wouldn't cause any problems.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

Yes, I would just tap it back on to the machined step close to the seal/trans case without making contact. If it is stretched or damaged, you might simply cut it off and remove it all together. Otherwise, you may have to order a new dust cover and remove the mid-shaft and press it on.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:38 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinny
Hello everyone,

I have a 2002 EP3 Si Civic. I've got the opportunity to enter it in a rallycross here next week. We had set it to the side of the house due to a whine, we thought wheel bearing, on the passenger side that is most noticeable at 65+mph. Getting under the car to see what the problem actually is I discovered this metal ring loose on the intermediate shaft. It appears to just be a dust cover for the rubber seal in the transmission. I did some searching but all threads are old and only mention this cover in passing. Looking around the seal it does not appear to be leaking, just a small about of debris spattered on its surface. So how do you adhere this cover to the seal? Being an off road race it would be best to get this back on there if possible.

Thanks in advance
Hey, I have the same exact problem did you find any way to make work bro?
Old 02-09-2020, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Gold Fish
Hey, I have the same exact problem did you find any way to make work bro?
Hello !?!?!?!? Look ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^