Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

Im confused on my choice. :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2001, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Im confused on my choice. :( (Leo95SE)

Having owned 5 VW's and 3 GTI's previously I feel qualified to answer your post on whether to buy a GTI or RSX TypeS.

It's rather simple IMO. The VW warranty, although much improved for 2002, will still cause you fits and once you're outside of it, you'll quickly spend lots of money. I had lots of little problems with my 97 GTI VR6 Driver's Edition and even had one major one: spider gear (differential) failure at 2587 miles. VW wouldn't cover it under warrantly since "it shouldn't break" and it had to be my fault. We went round and round and they eventually paid for it, but that was the way it was on everything at 3 different dealers. My buddy has a 97 Jetta GLX and it's the same story.

While I love the style, practicality, and character (personality) of the GTI of which the ITR is seriously lacking character, there's no way I'd recommend one because of the warranty and reliability issues.

We'll now move to handling. The VW's of yesteryear could handle. THe VW's of today are overweight, undersprung, underdamped, etc., etc. Ask anyone who piloted a GTI in stock class or even Street Touring autocross at the Divisional or National level and they'd never recommend one. They just don't handle well. The RSX will most certainly be faster and out handle the GTI, both the 1.8T and the VR6.

So unless you absolutely have to have a GTI, get an RSX. THe savings in repairs, your mental health, resale, and performance make it a far better choice.

Good luck in your decision....and wait till this spring is you get the VR6, the new 201hp version comes out then.
Old 09-04-2001, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im confused on my choice. :( (typer_801)

thx for the truthful advice.. i think thas the main reason why i was avoiding vw's...

speedy - i know.. just typed it that way... beyyatch.

Old 09-04-2001, 02:17 PM
Trial User

FYI- first mod already done - bought a helms manual. my collection is looking good.. hehe.
oy vey.

and it starts.......
Old 09-04-2001, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im confused on my choice. :( (Ricehornet)

tsk tsk grasshopper...

no book for you!

at least you learn from my mistakes... well, when you ask me questions, mr i dont know how to put back a radiator overflow tank.

Old 09-05-2001, 08:39 AM
New User

Even though you already made a choice, I have some input.

I've been to 3 different VW dealers for service and they all really really really sucked.

The GTI may have better interior quality, better exterior appearance, and better marketing, but the RSX will be so much more durable and efficient.
Old 09-05-2001, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im confused on my choice. :( (NagChampa)

get the wrx,, the rsx looks like a focus and a celica had a kid..

seems like it performs well though.. I will have to test drive one soon
Man does Coyote ugly mean anything to you??!!
Old 09-06-2001, 06:14 PM
New User

Default Re: Im confused on my choice. :( (erottik-R)

As far as the VW is concerned, I think a fairer comparison would be the new VR6 when it comes out (more power-201 hp i believe). The RSX is a nice car, i've driven a type-s (which btw i think was beaten on cause it felt really slow/sluggish even compared to my Si. anyway--) but once you sample the torque of a VR6 it's hard to go back. We've had no reliability concerns whatsoever with the VW . It's a truly great car. Mild suspension upgrades can do wonders in VW's, usually without the adverse handling effects you can get when lowering a Honda.

I would re-consider VW but give the VR6 a try instead of the 1.8T. I think it may change your mind. I'm a Honda guy through and through, but I sure as hell love the torque of my VR6!!