Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

Idle Problemo

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Idle Problemo

Hi, so i know there are a lot of problems on here due to idle problems relating to the IACV - idle air control valve, (im not that good with abbreviations on this subject) and this is my main problem... where is it located on a 7th generation 03 plate S type Vtec Civic engine? ive took it to the garage and told them that it had been stood off the road for 2 months, battery died and when i got it up and running it started to idle between 1k and 3k. I drove it around for a bit took it onto the local dual carriageway to give it a warm up and it seemed fine to drive but not idle. doesnt cut out and its fell from the previous revs to 1k-2.3k max. the garage done some checks on it and even called honda to ask what the problem would be... here is a list of what the garage checked upon, even with myself saying it could be the idle control valve:-
  • Investigate Irratic idling
  • Check Vaccuum Pipes for leaks
  • Scan ECU
  • Strip down and clean Variable Valve Timing Solinoid
  • Strip and clean engine breather filter
  • strip and clean throttle body
  • even got an oil flush just in case of oil filter problems
no my sences tell me ive been taken for a right mug due to my age and this is not the first time ive had a car that had idle problems, i had an Astra that had the same problem, took the IACV out and cleaned it... worked fine after. also an old Dhiatsu same crap diff car (excuse my french)

when i went and picked the car up, i spoke to the mechanic and mentioned the IACV and he told me that it was attached to the throttle body and u cant take it off is this true? because i think he was leaning towards me buying a whole throttle body to fix the problem otherwise it could be the CAMS. obviously i would rather check up on this due to it being about £800 to fit a new throttle body inc IACV...

if not where is the IACV located i can not seem to find it or maybe i dont know what im looking for, pictures can be uploaded if needed.

Thanks

**Update**
i have also lost bit of power, when i revved the engine without it being in gear it uually went upto the 6.8-7k revs to redline now it goes to 5.5k, also theres a bit of white smoke coming from exhaust, not much though... there seems to be a problem aslo with the air conditioning unit, when i turned it on today it made my EPS light come on and made steering difficult, so i done the idle relearn and reset the EPS sensor and went back to normal, as soon as i put the AC on static the problems occurs again.

i read up somewhere that idle problems can also be caued by a clogged or damaged cat is this true for this vehicle? HEEEELP

Last edited by Pugh_4992; 01-07-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Idle Problemo

Also if you could tell me about this Idle Relearn ive read up about... is it the same fuse for most honda civics? #6 fuse ? again.. many thanks
Old 01-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Do you have a hatchback? Sadly, I do not know what model an 03 Plate S Type VTEC Civic engine is. Is it a 2 Liter DOHC?
Old 01-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Trial User

Sorry, yeh its a hatchback and im not sure if it is a DOHC, it is a 2.0l petrol engine. how can i find out if it is a DOHC?
Old 01-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugh_4992
Sorry, yeh its a hatchback and im not sure if it is a DOHC, it is a 2.0l petrol engine. how can i find out if it is a DOHC?
If its 2L, then you certainly have a DOHC. I'm relocating this thread to the proper board for you.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Could have an air bubble in coolant. Sounds weird, but my 00 SI idled erratically until i bled the coolant. Try this, take off your radiator cap (make sure car is cool first), top off coolant until it is near top of radiator (visible) , start your car. Make sure to watch the coolant to see if any air bubbles escape. Also, make sure your turn heat on HI. Just my $.02 from my experience with erratic idle. Hope this helps!!
Old 01-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by rollinkhutis
Could have an air bubble in coolant. Sounds weird, but my 00 SI idled erratically until i bled the coolant. Try this, take off your radiator cap (make sure car is cool first), top off coolant until it is near top of radiator (visible) , start your car. Make sure to watch the coolant to see if any air bubbles escape. Also, make sure your turn heat on HI. Just my $.02 from my experience with erratic idle. Hope this helps!!
ill try this tomorrow after i change the spark plugs, they dont seem to be bad but they havent been changed for a time, also i have the throttle body out im gonna give that a bit more of a better clean. im not sure though what the IACV looks like on this engine, could someone post a picture for this engine type, what it looks like. thanks
Old 01-09-2012, 11:14 AM
DC5/EP3 MOD :)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the IACV is attached to the throttle body but you are able to take it off. You do however have to use a dremel to make a slit in the bolts honda used so you can put a screw driver on it. Or you can use vise grips and crank them off. Then once off just replace them with regular screws. But it is removable.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Type-Spaz
the IACV is attached to the throttle body but you are able to take it off. You do however have to use a dremel to make a slit in the bolts honda used so you can put a screw driver on it. Or you can use vise grips and crank them off. Then once off just replace them with regular screws. But it is removable.
yeh i took it all out today, give it a good clean and as soon as i put it all back in... i turned the engine on done the idle relearn and the idle dropped from 2k to 1.5k, thus idling between 1-1.5k. so i feel like there might be something up with the IACV. i also dont the coolant trick, no air bubbles come out what so ever. could the gasket cause it to irratically idle also? the funny thing is, where the IACV is located, the screwes that were holding it on were worn down. the garage where i took it too told me they checked it -_- (nice one).

any ideas?