Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

High pitched whine, other issues...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High pitched whine, other issues...

So here's the story:

I bought my ep3 about 10 months ago from a skeezy used car lot. Normally I would avoid a place like this, but I took the car to a Honda dealership for an inspection beforehand, and they gave it a thorough once over and and said everything was solid.

Six months ago, I had her oil changed, ran a few errands, and she wouldn't start. Found out later the timing chain broke, and I wound up having to replace the engine.

Found a local garage to swap in this engine: http://jdmsource.ca/products.php?jdm...gdqmgv9hnmh877

Since they were gonna be doing all this work anyway, I had asked them to replace the clutch and they "forgot".

When they finished the work, the tech spoke with me and said they couldn't figure out what to do with this (see pics).

The tech said it wasn't a big deal, that it had something to do with the exhaust. He said it wouldn't affect performance, and that I wouldn't pass an emissions test if I had to take one.

Now on to the high pitched whine. The car came with a no-name sri, and they transferred it to the new engine. It never made a noticeable sound before, but after the engine swap, the tech said this was the source of the sound.

I'm no mechanic, and everything I've learned about Hondas and the ep3 I've learned here from the forum. Based on the pictures and what I've said, can anyone tell me what's going on? Is the sri causing the sound, or does it have something to do with the detached exhaust tube thing? If so, would getting a better sri resolve it?

And what can be done about the exhaust tube thing? I haven't noticed any loss of performance, but my mpg is around 25 (which seems a little low to me, but let's face it, this car begs to be driven hard).

Sorry for the dissertation of a post, but any help would be great.
Attached Images   
Old 04-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High pitched whine, other issues...

I can take more pictures if that would help.

Happy Easter everybody.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:13 AM
DC5/EP3 MOD :)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all sorry about your luck....

Secondly your new mechanic is a retard... that tube coming off the valve cover is the one I assume you are talking about correct? If so it has nothing to do with exhaust... the rubber hose would normally go to your factory intake piping and most of the time connect to an aftermarket intake too. I like that you have a bar hose on yours and the factory hose laying there too. It is to pull vacuum and pressure out of the head. No it doesn't need to be connected to anything, mine isn't either.

As far as squeeking I have seen many SRI make a whistle sound... check all the clamps and make sure they are tight.

Also you don't need that air filter breather on the injector warm-up bypass valve. If anything you want a breather filter on where that open hose is on your valve cover
Old 04-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Spaz.

Yeah, I'm never going back to that shop.

I'll tighten everything on the sri, and transfer the air filter to the open hose on the valve cover.

I appreciate the help.