Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

help with my exterior

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with my exterior

Hey Honda Tech members,

I just recently purchase a SSM 2005 ACURA RSX Type S.

The car is a lot of fun and somewhat clean. I bought it for $11,000. CASHED it out from the original owner.

The only problem I have is the paint chips ,cracks, and scratches...

Mainly its on the passenger side but i would like it fix.

I dont know if its a easy solution but here are some photos

1. The passenger side front bumper of course needs a repaint with this crack. Old owner said he JB weld it

2. The passenger Door has a ugly deep ding/dent on it. The photo doesnt show it well but its there and deep. Im assuming someone slam their car door into it

3. This was my mistake. I back out of the garage and forgot my siblings bicycle was behind, the bikes metal handle scratched the living crap out the rear quarter side

4. On the rear Bumper there is this chip size of a dime on it..

5. My little sister wanted to wash my car and she used the dish sponge and basically sand it out with the green side of the sponge lol

6. last but not least, only problem on the driver side is this dent on the roof pillar. How am I suppose to fix that lol

What can I do to fix all these problems or should I just sand the whole car and prep it and have a professional painter repaint the car? Can it be sholved from waxing and using a polisher?

Thanks
Old 04-18-2012, 01:30 PM
DC5/EP3 MOD :)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: help with my exterior

sounds like time to save up and repaint the whole car..... also buy a new front bumper
Old 04-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya that is not worth touching up... get the hole car done
Old 04-23-2012, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Repaint the whole vehicle.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't paint the whole car.

Honestly, a new car to you, you'll likely forget about most of these blemishes in a few months. If you want to fix these minor problems for thousands less than a paint job, read on.

Assuming you are going to be hand sanding everything:

I use meguiars products because they work and are easy to find locally. Anything that's not through the clear coat use 2500 grit sandpaper (wet), meguiars scratch x2.0, meguiars ultimate compound, polishing compound, wax.

I really can't tell how deep the dents are but if you are uncomfortable filling them have an on-call dent removal service tap them out. Should be less than $100.

If you're wanting to fix less severe dents do not use filler (bondo) unless you are down to bare metal. Find a filler that bonds to primer/paint/clear, bondo does not. Fill, sand, base, clear. If you don't have access to equipment your local auto paint shop should be able to put the paint in a rattle can. Don't tape off areas unless they end on the end of a body panel, the paint line will show upon removal. Rather, spray w/o taping and sand overspray with ~2000 grit and follow the procedure in the above paragraph.

On the bumper, all the "pros" will tell you to use some sort of adhesive spray before spraying base but I have NEVER had luck with it. Their intended function makes sense: "paint doesn't stick well to poly, this spray does and paint should stick to it as well" but I've used 3 types and all peeled. Infact, once upon frustration I applied base DIRECTLY to the bare bumper with absolutely no prep (fed up with wasting time) and cleared. It turned out great and I forgot I ever had to do that until now--it's not noticeable. Anyways, I highly suggest not sanding all the way through the paint/clear that is already there and spray base onto that. You'll have to see what you need to do to prep JB weld--lol.

Lastly, please don't drive around in primer over metal like I see nearly every day. Primer absorbs water, if there isn't a layer of clear between it and the metal, you just created a reservoir of water adjacent to your body panels. Even if it doesn't rain there is obviously moisture in the air and at speed water will still be entrapped in the primer. It sickens me to see people drive in primer...

My experience: read about auto body work for years (professional books and online) before cutting, welding, primering and painting quarter panels on my eg using all professional equipment. Here's a random pic: http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...g/IMG_0248.jpg Work done 3 years ago, no rust. Also repaired paint on all of my family's car since following above methods.

Well, the lecture I should have been listening to just ended so I don't know if I missed anything, nor could I reread this so if you have any question or this doesn't make sense let me know.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bankonyourself
Repaint the whole vehicle.
yup my 03 type s is almost identical with the same damaged areas