Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

ep3 timing chain stretch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ep3 timing chain stretch?

i would have done more ase stuff if i wasn't going to be more brand specific. and i didn't want to do specific certs. none the less work smarted not harder is vary tru, in which case i make a ton of money workin on one car at a time. i think the way most of the newer acura and honda building are set u you get a front and back bay and yer **** is in the middle of the two..
Old 06-15-2010, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by hawaiiancb74
i would have done more ase stuff if i wasn't going to be more brand specific. and i didn't want to do specific certs. none the less work smarted not harder is vary tru, in which case i make a ton of money workin on one car at a time. i think the way most of the newer acura and honda building are set u you get a front and back bay and yer **** is in the middle of the two..
I worked for Miller Honda in Los Angeles for 3 years after i graduated from the PACT program. Trust me there is waaaaayyy more money to be made in independent shops. I 've been idependent for about 7 years now. The diffrence between an ASE cert. tech and a non cert. tech is easily about 10k-15k a year. The more ASE's you have the bigger that gap becomes. I have access to ISIS still and there is not a Honda/Acura that i cannot repair. In addition to GM's ,Fords, Toyotas etc...Our shop has an HDS and when the new scanner comes out we will have that too. It all depends on the type of shop you choose to work for. Being a one make tech is fine, many of my buddies still work in various Honda Acura dealers, and some of them have even made it to Torrance which is HQ for Honda California. But personally I like having the ability and know how to diagnose and repair just about anything on the road...
Old 06-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i decided to go back to school so i don't have to wrench for the rest of my life. but i work independent right now too, and yes there is a lot more money in it.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh well think what you want i love having 4 bays to myself don't care one bit about you make i work on hondas all day you dont been to the training center for hondas not whatever comes in the door here is a link you should read ase boy
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...ner/index.html
Old 06-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh and i own a 03 type s with 168k on it i put the toda chain and tensioner in it at 150 along with a new water pump its called taking care of your **** figured you could afford it big baller good luck with that astro van
Old 06-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the pact program he graduated from is the Honda training.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lafonz36
oh well think what you want i love having 4 bays to myself don't care one bit about you make i work on hondas all day you dont been to the training center for hondas not whatever comes in the door here is a link you should read ase boy
Yes I have a subscription to Honda Tunning so Ive read the article. but that article is in reference to the tensioner, NOT the chain, which is what this debate is about.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lafonz36
Did you mean to say the following?

"Oh well..., think what you want. I love having 4 bays to myself. Don't care one bit about what you make. I work on Hondas all day. You don't... (you lost me here)..., here is a link you should read ASE boy..."

I'm having difficulty understanding the bolded area...
Old 06-21-2010, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DCFIVER
Yes I have a subscription to Honda Tunning so Ive read the article. but that article is in reference to the tensioner, NOT the chain, which is what this debate is about.
LMAO! What a dousche. This guy's a joke. Surprised you're still wasting your time.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My .02 cents. Chain prolly stretched. Goto K20a.org, there's a few posts there about it. See my post.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-rsx-dc5-honda-civic-ep3-32/k203-motor-problem-need-help-troubleshooting-2781167/

It stretched about 4-5 teeth.

But of course, just pull your valve cover off and check the timing marks and see if they all line up, if not, there's your problem and hope that none of your valves hit (check the compression to see if it's still legit/if you got lucky).
Old 08-20-2013, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

An ex-Honda fans 2 cents worth. My daughter and I both owne 2004 Honda Accord LX's with the 4 cyl VTEC engines with timing chain. Mine originally stretched (P0371 code) at just unter 100K so Honda replaced the chain, tensor etc. My daughter's went at 135,000 miles and I replaced it in June. Mine just went again at 155,000 miles on my Accord. Spoke to the local import shop and was told this is a common problem on the Honda VTEC 4 cylinders. Both the dealer and Honda America deny the issue and refused any aide. Told them I would not own a car that needed the timing chain replaced every 50,000 miles ( a belt I understand). Very unfortunate because other than this issue, our Accords have been excellent cars. Cost to have the chain replaced around $1,100. Purchasing the chain, tensor and both guides ran about $240 at Discount Honda parts. The article at Honda Tunning addresses the issue as being caused by a faulty tensor causing a slack chain on one side, resulting in cam, crank out of sync and eventually will cause the car to jump time risking destruction of the top have of the interference engine. I change my oil about 5,000 miles.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by zerngl
An ex-Honda fans 2 cents worth. My daughter and I both owne 2004 Honda Accord LX's with the 4 cyl VTEC engines with timing chain. Mine originally stretched (P0371 code) at just unter 100K so Honda replaced the chain, tensor etc. My daughter's went at 135,000 miles and I replaced it in June. Mine just went again at 155,000 miles on my Accord. Spoke to the local import shop and was told this is a common problem on the Honda VTEC 4 cylinders. Both the dealer and Honda America deny the issue and refused any aide. Told them I would not own a car that needed the timing chain replaced every 50,000 miles ( a belt I understand). Very unfortunate because other than this issue, our Accords have been excellent cars. Cost to have the chain replaced around $1,100. Purchasing the chain, tensor and both guides ran about $240 at Discount Honda parts.
My RSX has 150k hard miles on it. No issues with the chain so far. I work at an import shop and regularly service various makes and models of Honda/Acuras with the now 10 year old K series engine. In my experience chain stretch is still minimal to non existent....
Originally Posted by zerngl
The article at Honda Tunning addresses the issue as being caused by a faulty tensor causing a slack chain on one side, resulting in cam, crank out of sync and eventually will cause the car to jump time risking destruction of the top have of the interference engine. I change my oil about 5,000 miles.
Right. The issue is not about a chain fault in of itself.....