Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

Ep3 h-stock tuning notes

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ep3 h-stock tuning notes

Ok, those that know me know I love the ep3. My main problem is I love to mod the ep3 also so there is no way I could run my car in the stock class. The reason I am posting this thread is to serve as a guide for the biuld of a H-stock (or HS) ep3. I am looking at the scca rule book.....2009

http://scca.com/documents/Solo_Rules...Solo_Rules.pdf

So let me start at the at the most important part of the biuld, what year ep3 is best? IMO it is the 04-05's for the following reasons....
1) they come with 16 inch wheels and there are a better selection of tires in this size over the 15's. By the rules, you must run the size wheels that come on the car.
2) The 04-05's have 17mm rear sway bars while the 02-03's come with 15mm rear sways....since rear sways are limited to what came on the car, you are stuck with the smaller bar in the 02-03's.
3) The suspension bushings on the 02-03 are softer than the ones on the 04-05's....see the "musty's a dirty cheater" post for more on this.
The next most impotant thing you want to shop for is...
TIRES!!!!....There is a 2 page section on tires in the scca rule book but it more or less comes down to you have to have street leagle tires that fit on your stock size rim with out moding the fender well.....so your limiting factor is the 6.5 inch wide rims....for size, you want 225's, 205 and 195's are great for ek and eg's but the ep is a bigger car and you need a bigger tire. I know there are people that will tell you that the 225's are to wide for a 6.5 inch wide wheel and that you will be faster running 215's or 205's.....try it, I think you will find for autoX the 225's are better, at least for the front. If you want the car to rotate more, hang some 205's on the rear....as for what tires to get? Walk around your next autoX ad see what the "fast guys" are on. If those tires come in your size, pick them up....
Rims:Now the next thing to look at is rims. The scca rule book says you need to run the same rim dia and width as your stock rims. You also have to be within +-1/4 of a inch from the same offset.....Now a little secret about honda rims, for the most part, they are stupid heavy, the stock ep3 16x6.5 inch rims weigh 23 lbs each
You do not need to spend a ton on lighter wheels, rota slips come in just the right size and width in the range of offset for about $450 a set. The rpf-1's also come in the needed sizes. Lighter wheels really wake up the ep3, they are a great preformance mod.
Spings: You are locked into your stock spring......But if you want to be shady, check out "Musty is a dirty cheater" below.....
Dampers:You can change dampers BUT! There only one show in town for the fronts, Koni. Because the steering arm is attached to the damper body and the scca see's this arm as part of the stock suspension, the damper housing can not be changed( this means D-specs and Bilstiens are against the rules.). So you need to go with koni inserts. This mod is well worth doing, the stock dampers suck big time. For the rear, you can use anything but imo the best choice is the RSX rear Koni's. The RSX rear koni's have a much more agressive damping profile than the ep3 koni's as per Phil in TrueChoice( a major koni tuning shop).....I also have some options listed in the "Musty's a dirty cheater" section that is aganst the rules.
Suspension Bushings: Ok the scca rules state that you can not replace your suspension bushing with anything of a "different material or demension". Now, let me tell you a little secret, Honda used the foward "compliance" bushings in the lca as a way to "detune" the ep3's suspension. This bushing allows for toe-in while cornering and softer it is the more your toe changes.....not good.... What that means is they are soft as jello on the 02-03 ep3's, very firm on the 02-04 dc5 type-s....I think the 05-06 dc5 type s are even firmer but I also think they are a different dia.....the part# for the ep3 are 51391-55a-024 and the part # for the 02-04 dc5 is 51360-s6g-a02....the dc5 bushing is a very good mod and who could tell???:shady:
Swaybar/ anti-roll bar: By the rules, the front sway is open aside from being required to use the stock mounts and the rear bar must remain unchanged. So the front bar is one of your major tuning tools, your options can go from the 27mm solid progress bar to no bar at all. Just remember your stock bar is a 25.4mm hollow bar, you can try the 02-04 dc5 23mm hollow front sway, the 05-06 26.5mm hollow ft sway, the 2003 15.9 hollow front sway and the hotchkis 25.4mm hollow adjustable ft sway....you cheapest rout might be to try the larger and smaller dc5 bars.
Alinment Look, spend the time on alinment, there is a lot of time that can be picked up in alinment setting on a autoX course..... By scca rules "Both the ft and the r suspension may be adjusted with in the designed manufacturing tolerances", they also say"no suspension part maybe modified for the purpose of adjustment unless such mod is spicifically autherized by the factory shop manual for non compation".....Ok, go to page 18.2 in the 02-03 shop manual....honda offers "crash bolts" for camber adjutment...pt # 90188-55a-000...your stock camber numbers are supose to be +- .30 to .45 degrees...If you are living by the rules, set the front suspension to -.45....if not throw in some more negative camber. For autoX set your front suspension to 1/32nd to 1/16th of a inch toe out, this will really help turn in. Just do not go to nuts if the car is a dd, you will eat the tires...lots of toe out makes the car kinda "dartie on the highway also....I like zero toe for the rear but that is a matter of taste, if you are looking for more grip in the turn, add some toe out, if you are looking for more rotation, add some toe-in in the back. Your front castor is supose to be 1 to 1.4 degress in the front, you can reach the higher number with forward movment of the subframe. Some "paint" may need to be removed from the holes to get enough movement. Loosening the ft and rear motor mounts helps in this movement:shady: You can also clean off some "paint" from the holes where the strut top bearing mount, just remember to push inward and to the rear when tighting the nuts for maximum camber and castor improvements....:shady:
Now on to the little stuff....you are not allowed to change the seats, the steering wheel you can put in a roll bar and a race haness. My advice it you invest in a GC lock, this is a little lock you can put onto your stock seat belt that will hold you into your seat......thats about it....
Old 11-24-2009, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ep3 h-stock tuning notes

musty is a dirty cheater!

Musty's a dirty cheater, notes on pushing the rules a little....
Springs:Look, the stock front springs are to soft( a progressive 249 ish lbs). The 02-04 dc5's have a progressive 279ish....these can be picked up cheap and will really help your ep3 around the course.....match paint them to your stock springs and there is no way anyone will catch you.
Look for used hfp suspension kits out there(honda is all sold out). Gut the front and use the rear springs with a set of dc5 koni's. These spring will lower your car .75 inches and add about 35% to front spring rates. Match paint them and peal off the honda part number tags and noone will ever know.....

Bushings:Look, the stock bushings in the ep3 suck. The worst is the compliance bushings in both the front and rear lca, you really need to replace all the bushings with the bushing from the dc5 02-04, everything will fit and noone will catch you.
If you want to stiffen things up even more, you could even install the front bushings in the front lca "side ways"( you will know what I mean when you see it)....someone might see this so be careful........
Alinment: Look, you need as much negative camber and positive caster as you can get.....camber is easy to see soo be careful, Castor is not so easy to see. If you work on moving your sub frame as far foward as you can you will se a noticable improvement in turn in and corner grip undercoating can hide a lot.....
any thing else you guys can think of?
Old 11-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Function > Form

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Musty's a dirty cheater!!!

Nuff said lol...
Old 11-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mustclime
These spring will lower your car .75 inches and add about 35% to front spring rates. Match paint them and peal off the honda part number tags and noone will ever know.....
Unless they measure your ride height...

Good info, thanks for posting.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turboteg2nv
Unless they measure your ride height...

Good info, thanks for posting.
kinda doent work...when you pull the spare,jack ect...the car razes up a little anyway...you just tell any one that wants to know you are running a heavy gas load.......
Old 11-25-2009, 01:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Most excellent! Thanks. I'm going to go stare at my front subframe over the weekend and try to figure out where to "scrape a little paint". Front compliance bushing is definitely my next purchase! While I'm at it, do you recommend esmm's?
Old 11-25-2009, 03:08 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My main problem is I love to mod the ep3 also so there is no way I could run my car in the stock class.
Then don't run in Stock.

If you can't follow the rules at a regional level autocross where the only reward for winning is a $5 plastic trophy, then you're a real ****ing tool.

If you're going to purposely change items specifically prohibited by the regulations, then run in the appropriate class.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Targa250R
Then don't run in Stock.

If you can't follow the rules at a regional level autocross where the only reward for winning is a $5 plastic trophy, then you're a real ****ing tool.

If you're going to purposely change items specifically prohibited by the regulations, then run in the appropriate class.
I run in sm.....Home of big turbo evo's/sti's and monster m3's.....BTW, I have zero respect for the scca rules for a couple reasons. I mostly run with the CART guys for this reason. When the tools at scca want to put out a fair set of rules and proper classing, then they will get the respect they think they deserve....this was put togather for people that want to run their ep3 in the stock class or just want to make the ep3 handle like honda should have sold it on the cheep.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Cheep3
Most excellent! Thanks. I'm going to go stare at my front subframe over the weekend and try to figure out where to "scrape a little paint". Front compliance bushing is definitely my next purchase! While I'm at it, do you recommend esmm's?
they are aganst the rules and they tend to act like a knife and cut rubber inside the mount....If you want to really put a stop to wheel hop, Pull your front mount and fill in the voids with windshield sealent(used for glueing down the winshields) and let it harden over night, then reinstall. Wheel hop will be pretty much gone but you will feel a little more vibration in the car.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:08 AM
Function > Form

they are aganst the rules and they tend to act like a knife and cut rubber inside the mount....If you want to really put a stop to wheel hop, Pull your front mount and fill in the voids with windshield sealent(used for glueing down the winshields) and let it harden over night, then reinstall. Wheel hop will be pretty much gone but you will feel a little more vibration in the car.
On a side note: Here is a link to a DIY I posted about doing exactly this ^ to your stock mounts...

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...tock+mount+mod
Old 11-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by josh's ep3
On a side note: Here is a link to a DIY I posted about doing exactly this ^ to your stock mounts...

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...tock+mount+mod
Thanks for the link! Not sure why I haven't heard of this before. I know you usually "get what you pay for" but cheap mods make me happy! Looks like a good X-mas break project! Did you do yours yet?
Old 11-25-2009, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the link! Not sure why I haven't heard of this before. I know you usually "get what you pay for" but cheap mods make me happy! Looks like a good X-mas break project! Did you do yours yet?
I have after market mounts but these are not leagle in stock class.....the windshield glue fix for the front mount would be very hard for people to see with out a full on tech inspection because of the location of the front mount, thus why I brought it up on this thread. Even if they did "catch" you with this mod, It would be very easy to claim stupid with some story that you paid some shop to "fix" your mount and insted of you getting a new mount, they ripped you off and just "fixed" your mount.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Function > Form

No, I haven't done mine yet but I plan on it when it starts snowing
Old 11-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Even if they did "catch" you with this mod, It would be very easy to claim stupid with some story that you paid some shop to "fix" your mount and insted of you getting a new mount, they ripped you off and just "fixed" your mount.
...you dirty cheater.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have after market mounts but these are not leagle in stock class.....the windshield glue fix for the front mount would be very hard for people to see with out a full on tech inspection because of the location of the front mount, thus why I brought it up on this thread. Even if they did "catch" you with this mod, It would be very easy to claim stupid with some story that you paid some shop to "fix" your mount and insted of you getting a new mount, they ripped you off and just "fixed" your mount.
I don't think it is an issue for me in ST but I'll have to check the book...
Old 11-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

...you dirty cheater.

I am just tired of the ep3/dc5 platforms getting ripped in the scca classing...these are really just tricks I have picked up in years of racing in the scca. I have a little bit of news for you if you are new to autoX, If you drive a fwd car, scca hates you, If you drive a miata, they love you. You want prof? Look at the front swaybar rule....It states that you can change the front sway in all stock classes....well thats great if you drive a rear wheel drive car....any a$$hat knows that you should control body roll with the non-drive wheels. So if you have a rwd car, hanging a big front sway with stock springs = improved handling, but! if you have a fwd car...installing a bigger front bar = drive wheel lift and sh*tty corner exit speeds. If scca was "fair", fwd cars would have "open" rear sways while the rwd cars had "open" front sways.
You want prof about the miata love? Look up the MS-R ruleing sometime...whats a MS-R? Well, Its scca allowing mazda to cheat! Let me explain....If you know anything about miata, you know there have been 3 generations, the NA (90-98), the NB(99-05) and the NC (06-present)( renamed the mx5). The problem started when the NC came out. It was 2500lbs, had a 2.0 leter 170hp motor and could fit 225 tires under the stock fenders....the problem was in 2006 GM released the kappa twins...the Pontiac Solstice and Satern Sky. The kappa's had a 2.4 leter motor with more tq than the mx5, they weighed in at 2900 lbs and they could fit 275 mm tires under the stock fenders....the mx5's were getting owned....well mazda pulled the MS-R out of their butt...what do I mean? Well mazdaspeed took 3-5 cars on the docks and installed the MS-R package. The package included springs, koni's, sways and a oil cooler...Now if you know anything about this kind of stuff, this would be call a "trunk kit" and is not allowed in the stock classes since it was not a option you could order from the dealer and installed at the factory.....yet somehow they are now scca leagle and if you have a base 2007 NC, you can order the parts from mazdaspeed and race one yourself. If you look at the NC's that are fast, thats what they are...Scca allowed these truck kits so all the mazda mx5 owners could be fast....If scca was fair, you could run hfp kits and aspec kits but since you do not drive a mazda, you are SOL.....OH fyi, GM offered a real club racing package in 2007-2009, they called the the z0k package....and they pretty muchown the MS-R's with a good driver.....
Old 12-02-2009, 05:13 PM

mustys a crook!!!

hehe
Old 12-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First off let me just say I love the EP and modding it and auto crossing it. If I had a nickle for every time I have been owned in SCCA solo SM and SMF in my EP I would be driving a ferrari instead of a honda.

Its all well and good and believe me I am totally for it if it was a means to an end to make the EP3 Si a national car. Really though the EP is not a front runner for H stock anymore if it ever could have been. The weight, front suspension issues and soft springs really just seal the deal to make the car not good. It can be a fast h-stock car, but the money to test and tune everything to even make it front running on a national level even with the sneaky "mods," only to make the EP a top five car to consider for nationals or prosolo is just not worth it. With the SCCA rule changes in 2010 and the Ford Focus SVT having a better suspension, more power, and lighter makes it a clear choice that will dominate any ***** out h stock prepped hoosier a6 wearing EP3.

Musty your thread is awesome for cheap as **** great handling EP. With the window sealant trick, rsx konis and springs, and the alignment specs, if you don't mind wheel gap you are going to have a great handling car for $500 or around a grand if you got light wheels and good tires.

just my two cents
Old 12-03-2009, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

any a$$hat knows that you should control body roll with the non-drive wheels. So if you have a rwd car, hanging a big front sway with stock springs = improved handling, but! if you have a fwd car...installing a bigger front bar = drive wheel lift and sh*tty corner exit speeds. If scca was "fair", fwd cars would have "open" rear sways while the rwd cars had "open" front sways.
So would the Civic EM2 front sway bar mod be allowed in your SCCA class? It's smaller diameter, helps with turn-in. Check it out
Old 12-03-2009, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SiRCivic03
First off let me just say I love the EP and modding it and auto crossing it. If I had a nickle for every time I have been owned in SCCA solo SM and SMF in my EP I would be driving a ferrari instead of a honda.

Its all well and good and believe me I am totally for it if it was a means to an end to make the EP3 Si a national car. Really though the EP is not a front runner for H stock anymore if it ever could have been. The weight, front suspension issues and soft springs really just seal the deal to make the car not good. It can be a fast h-stock car, but the money to test and tune everything to even make it front running on a national level even with the sneaky "mods," only to make the EP a top five car to consider for nationals or prosolo is just not worth it. With the SCCA rule changes in 2010 and the Ford Focus SVT having a better suspension, more power, and lighter makes it a clear choice that will dominate any ***** out h stock prepped hoosier a6 wearing EP3.

Musty your thread is awesome for cheap as **** great handling EP. With the window sealant trick, rsx konis and springs, and the alignment specs, if you don't mind wheel gap you are going to have a great handling car for $500 or around a grand if you got light wheels and good tires.

just my two cents

the base svt focus is good but the base mini is hard to beat, Its also in hs....Someone told me you could option a lsd in the base mini from 2008 on...I have never checked this though, I know a lsd is a option in the 2007 on cooper-s, but thats gs.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So would the Civic EM2 front sway bar mod be allowed in your SCCA class? It's smaller diameter, helps with turn-in. Check it out
yes...the 2003 coupe(2DOOR) is the one that has the 15.9mm hollow bar.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes...the 2003 coupe(2DOOR) is the one that has the 15.9mm hollow bar.
Gotcha...sorry I don't have all the sway bar sizes memorized unlike some people here. *cough* nerd! *cough*
Old 12-03-2009, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you order it, do not forget the bushings....total is around 60 bucks if i remember right.....the brackets on the car are fine....

on another note, I do not recommend using this bar with less than a 400lb front spring....body roll will be enought that you will not be able to keep much camber in the turns.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Function > Form

I got my EM2 front sway from the junk yard for 15 bucks!! I think I got pretty lucky though because it was the only newer Civic in the whole yard haha.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:05 AM
Trial User

If you drive a fwd car, scca hates you
With all due respect to your experience, I'm not sure this is an entirely fair statement.

Over the last 14 years, only 3 times have national championships in D, G, or H stock been won by other than a FWD car. That's 3 of 9 stock classes dominated by FWDs; quite a bit I woudl argue, given that the generally accepted definition of a "sports car" would include that the vehicle be RWD.

Stock classes aside, the ST (formerly STS) class is the pure playground of the EF/EG cars. Heck, they can compete regionally/divisionally in STX. In STS (formerly STS2) the CRX/Miata competition is entirely course/driver dependent. E Prepared is another Civic/CRX playground. F Street Prepared has been pretty friendly to Civics, Focuses (or is that Foci ), and GTI/Sirocco - all FWD. As you allude to in another post, we've reorganized Street Modified to create a FWD-only class.

The ideal car(s) for most SCCA Solo classes are well known. You can buy one and compete on a level playing field; you can drive what you love/have and take what comes as a result of your choices; or you can compete somewhere else. It sounds like you've done a little of both 2 & 3. I hope you enjoyed the time you did spend at SCCA events.

Quick Reply: Ep3 h-stock tuning notes