Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

EP3 Fueling issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 10:35 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EP3 Fueling issue

Hi All, I've been chasing an issue with my EP3 Type 3 ever since I bought it a year ago with no luck. at first I thought it was a Vtec issue as when the engine is warm (running temp) and I hit the crossover RPM the power drops rather than increases. I have changed the VTC solenoid, VTec Solenoid, engine temp sensor, TPS and confirmed it all to be working correctly through having the car plugged in while driving. No CEL lights have been on at any point... I believe the parameters to VTEC have been met because the car will Vtec when not quite up to normal running temp but as soon as its up there it stops working and I get the power drop off and the car gets a fuel starvation feeling and wont get up to the limiter. when the car is cold Vtec doesn't engage at all but will rev all the way to the limiter (I did this as an experiment and very reluctantly).

I am at the point now where I am concluding the car is short of one of three things; 1. fuel, 2. air, 3. exhaust fume extraction.
1. My only thoughts are that the fuel pump could be faulty however this doesn't correlate with the fact this only happens when the engine is at running temp and works fine when cooler
2. I cant see that the VTC actuator is causing the issue as this is constantly adjusting and my issue is only above 6k RPM (uk model limiter is at about 8.2k).
3. possibility is the Inline silencer (catalytic converter)... its not noisy and doesn't rattle but I'm thinking perhaps if its started degrading that when the engine is up to temp and bowing very hot fumes through the metals within the Cat are expanding and restricting the fume flow thus chocking the engine......

I have been on every Type R site known to man and haven't had any joy, would really appreciate any help.
Just to finish.... cam chain has been replaced recently and checked to be in time, and yes I have checked the oil level.

thanks

Last edited by PierceBLewis; 09-02-2017 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Corrections for ease of reading