Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

EP3 Fog Light problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EP3 Fog Light problem, fusebox - switched 12v source?

Hi guys!

I'm just in the middle of putting the fog lights on my EP3 (Type R 2003) and I have this small problem, everything is hooked up as it should be (at least I think so) but there is one brown contact left over that I just can't figure out where to put. The contact is brown, has a red wire and has a note on it that says 'Lgnition'. Anybody that knows the answer?

Picture:

The fog light kit is the one that you can buy from showoffimports/password:jdm: http://www.showoffimports.nl/product...roductid=31351

Last edited by Masaru; 03-31-2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EP3 Fog Light problem

See if this helps..

http://www.handa-accessories.com/civic/sifogs.pdf
Old 03-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Masaru
Hi guys!

I'm just in the middle of putting the fog lights on my EP3 (Type R 2003) and I have this small problem, everything is hooked up as it should be (at least I think so) but there is one brown contact left over that I just can't figure out where to put. The contact is brown, has a red wire and has a note on it that says 'Lgnition'. Anybody that knows the answer?

Picture:
[IMG]http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/3139/iphone002l.jpg[/IM]

The fog light kit is the one that you can buy from showoffimports/password:jdm: http://www.showoffimports.nl/product...roductid=31351
For an RSX, the brown connector would meet its counter part under the hood. It is taped on by a small piece of blue tape (yea just hanging out there). I would think its the same thing for yours.

I just hard wired mine tho.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turboteg2nv
I've read through the whole guide but still can't figure out the problem and it doesn't really make it easier the fact that I don't have half of the things that are listed on that guide

Originally Posted by Mr. Spade
For an RSX, the brown connector would meet its counter part under the hood. It is taped on by a small piece of blue tape (yea just hanging out there). I would think its the same thing for yours.

I just hard wired mine tho.
Do you mean this one? It's just next to the battery.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes
Old 03-29-2011, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The contact that was next to the battery was the same as the one I was going to put in it so that won't work. But I found a contact that could be the right one, it was just next to the gas pedal and had blue tape so I tried that one out but still no luck, don't know if it is the right one/wrong one or if it's something else in the system that's screwing things up.

The contact that I found:
Old 03-29-2011, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So that didn't work but everything else is right?

You might just have to hard wire it like I did. but at least I can run them independently of headlights.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you ground that black wire and hook up the red to 12v power source?
Old 03-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Spade
So that didn't work but everything else is right?

You might just have to hard wire it like I did. but at least I can run them independently of headlights.
Well, I don't know if everything else is right or if the brown contact is in the right place, don't know if there's any more possible contacts for my contact than the ones that I've tried? It might be a ground, the cable I used for the extension etc (read below).

If anything else doesn't work I'll have to try that. Any link to a DIY?

Originally Posted by turboteg2nv
Did you ground that black wire and hook up the red to 12v power source?
Yes it's grounded, the red one is connected to the brown contact which I put in the other brown contact that I found (picture above). The yellow one is connected to it's other part which leads to the fog lights, but because the two yellow ends couldn't reach each other I had to extend it and I used an old cable that I found in the garage, maybe it's the cable that's bad? If it's not the cable I think it may be one of the grounds or maybe some of the extensions that I had to do on the other cables.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it worth testing to connect the cable where the brown contact sits on right to the + of the battery?
Old 03-30-2011, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

PROGRESS!! Cut the brown contact off the cable and then extended it and put it on the + on the battery, 'hallelujah-moment it works'! :D Now there's just this smaaall problem, I'm guessing that the cable gets elektricity 24/7 because the button for the fog lights is glowing even when the keys isn't in, when you push it - the fog lights come on and the button starts glowing even brighter (you can do this without the keys in the car). My question now is if you can have it like this without having problems with a discharged battery the day after? or will it take too much elektricity so you won't be able to have the car standing in the garage for a week or so without having to charge the battery?

button when the car's turned off and no keys in
Old 03-30-2011, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It shouldn't be lit up 24/7.. you need to connect that wire to a switched 12v source so it only turns on with the ignition. Otherwise you'll kill the battery.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okey, just as I thought then.. any advice on a source that you can hook it up to?
Old 03-31-2011, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm thinking of connecting the cable to one of the free slots in the fusebox under the steering wheel, does anybody know which slot that's a switched 12v source? At least on of them should be a switched one. Going to use an add-a-circuit but first just try with putting the cable on the slot to see if it works.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm thinking of connecting the cable to one of the free slots in the fusebox under the steering wheel, does anybody know which slot that's a switched 12v source? At least on of them should be a switched one. Going to use an add-a-circuit but first just try with putting the cable on the slot to see if it works.
In the manual I will say. I used the accessory fuse so it comes off when keys are out. When you wire to a diff 12v source you can run them independently
Old 04-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Problem solved, thanks for the help guys!
Old 11-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The loose connector attached to the blue wire. What is it used for? It isn't actually connected to anything.

The connector I'm referring to is the one about an inch or two above the brown connector.