Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-rsx-dc5-honda-civic-ep3-32/)
-   -   DC5 head on EP3 block...question (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-rsx-dc5-honda-civic-ep3-32/dc5-head-ep3-block-question-1237363/)

nos4a2si 05-06-2005 09:39 AM

DC5 head on EP3 block...question

i just picked up a k20a2 head. i plan on doing a head swap. from what i hear its basically an easy installation. the only difference is the EP3 does not have oil squiters.....no biggie......but what i want to know, is if the head will have to be honed to go along with the new forged pistons im buying? if so, how much is that going to set me back? because that doesnt sounds cheap!

whiteDCfiver 05-06-2005 09:53 AM

Re: DC5 head on EP3 block...question (nos4a2si)

cant your question but i know you need the A2 ecu also

SiR Phil 05-06-2005 10:19 AM

The A3 crank is only balanced, whereas the A2 crank is both balanced and counterbalanced. And, if I'm not mistaken, I believe the A2 has stronger rods as well, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

nos4a2si 05-06-2005 07:39 PM

Re: DC5 head on EP3 block...question (SiR Phil)

well here is what im doing.....putting stage 2 cams in the head, new valve springs, high pressure valves, titanium retainers, forged pistons, new connecting rods, sleeved block, and the k-pro system. i have thought about the crankshaft, but dont think there should be a problem with the a3 crankshaft, although i would like a crankshaft but i cant find any for the EP3 for some reason.

specialblend154 05-09-2005 12:00 PM

if i were doing all that work that your planning on doing i would also think about getting the 6 speed tranny from a dc5 becasue your going to have to tune your kpro alot to get you landing in the sweeet spot of the power band when you shift

Lucid Moments 05-09-2005 05:19 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nos4a2si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well here is what im doing.....putting stage 2 cams in the head, new valve springs, high pressure valves, titanium retainers, forged pistons, new connecting rods, sleeved block, and the k-pro system. i have thought about the crankshaft, but dont think there should be a problem with the a3 crankshaft, although i would like a crankshaft but i cant find any for the EP3 for some reason.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't know that anyone made pistons and connecting rods for the EP. I thought all the pistons and rods were for the A2. They are different. I can't remember the name for the damn part right now, but the part of the crankshaft that the rods rotate on is smaller on the A3 crankshaft than on the A2.

If you have checked that then you should be fine, or you can get an A2 crankshaft.

specialblend154 05-09-2005 08:54 PM

i think it would be alot easier and cheaper to get a full a2 swap motor and tranny instead of using a a3 long block thats not used to hi reving associated with what you going to put out with your headwork and kpro.

nos4a2si 05-09-2005 09:16 PM

Re: (specialblend154)

well, i was kinda not sure about the full swap......because i have a turbo setup right now, and dont know if it would work with the a2 engine.