Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

NO SPINOUTS= Rotate your Tires PUT BEST TREAD IN BACK! Video PROOF!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO SPINOUTS= Rotate your Tires PUT BEST TREAD IN BACK! Video PROOF!

The reason i'm posting this-
i've seen too many posts with people saying keep best in front (Cuz it's FWD!)
with TOO MANY posts of young AND OLD Drivers Spinning out on corners!

EVEN if your tread is less than half gone on the back, and the fronts are bald...
ALWAYS PUT THE NEW ONES ON BACK!

i've explained why many times in other threads, but i found people still debate it?

Heres a GREAT VIDEO of Professional Drivers and Test course spinouts!

http://www.michelinman.com/tir...ions/
look at the bottom for
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Mounting Two Tires (2 1/2-minute video)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Hit that link AT THE BOTTOM of that Michelin page, and watch the VIDEO Comparison!
There's your proof!
now lets all avoid any more spinouts!
Old 12-15-2007, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NO SPINOUTS= Rotate your Tires PUT BEST TREAD IN BACK! Video PROOF! (WyldRice)

WOAH!
Check out that Ford that gets DESTROYED about 2/3 way thru the video!

that wouldn't of happened if they had taken the experts advice!
Old 12-15-2007, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm all for good tires all around.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (WhiteOnRice)

when i've been listening to other peoples problems at the shops, i've seen a lot of...
"I Dont have a lot of money, can i get by with just one?" (or 2)
so it is a concern for others... but rotating would avoid most of this

if you bought 4 BRAND NEW TIRES Whitey, say, 8000 miles ago
(ON SALE for $100 a peice- Pirelli MagikTrac's= $400)
the back set has a little wear, so you DONT need new ones! (waste of money and tires)

SO what do you do if.... you get a flat on the left front, (ONLY need 1 tire! COOL!)
(They went off sale, now they are $200 a peice again)

...but you haven't rotated your tires (just kept putting it off) ,
upon closer look, you notice your right front is almost half worn
(from burnouts and spirited cornering! )

so you decide to get a match set for the FRONTS? (Now you need 2 tires)
(at double the cost, You would buy all new ones? CUMMON?!!! )

...this happens a lot more than you would think!
Again, JUST Please Put the new ones in back- rotate the old ones to the front!

...problem solved!
Old 12-15-2007, 01:05 PM
GDD4LIFE

Default Re: (WyldRice)

my idea of rotating the tires is changing the rims on my car. My winter rims have some tire I got from the Honda dealership for about 80 bucks. They have a lifetime warranty on them so every time i need a new one I just pay 20 bucks for mounting and balancing. They worked pretty good in the snow storm we just got hit with too.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (phthalo)

Nice find. I never knew that. I always though you just need the front ones. W/E

When the video said "which car would you rather be in?" I Want to be in the blue/black car. FF drifting sounds fun!
Old 12-16-2007, 11:39 AM
I said I don't want a title!

Default Re: NO SPINOUTS= Rotate your Tires PUT BEST TREAD IN BACK! Video PROOF! (WyldRice)

I'm not so sure I agree with this theory. If you have to run 2 tires that are low on tread, I'm going to want them on the back of a FWD car.

Braking properly and turning (which all falls to the front tires) happens much more frequently than a potential 'spin' from the rear end getting loose.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NO SPINOUTS= Rotate your Tires PUT BEST TREAD IN BACK! Video PROOF! (Todd00)

How about having 4 good tires? If I absolutely had to drive and had only 2 good ones, I'de rather have them in the back, because I know I can control the Ft ones and relatively predict where they are going to go. When you have the Rr sliding out, you have pretty much lost control at that point and the odds of getting it back are slim to none. I see what you mean about controlling the braking but that is something you can adapt your driving to and reduce your speed.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

listen to the man.. i install too many tires for dumb ppl at my job daily, and i dont want to know what happens to them!
Old 12-16-2007, 02:40 PM
I said I don't want a title!

Default Re: NO SPINOUTS= Rotate your Tires PUT BEST TREAD IN BACK! Video PROOF! (Tyte-S)

If you're in snow, mud or rain, you sure you really want the tires with no tread on the front of the car?

No thanks. I don't want to get stuck, not be able to turn or hydroplane.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think i spied some Discount tire employees
Old 12-16-2007, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (burke420)

I'm not sure this post is really fact as apposed to what the driver is more comfortable with. Everyone's different, and has their own preferences when it comes to how their car is set up. There are plus and minuses to both sides of the argument here.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tyte-S)

what michelin said was that it was best to put the best treaded tires on the back axle. so, that would mean they were talking about either 4WD or RWD cars. maybe an email asking them to clarify regarding FWD might put an end to this debate.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Most people would take "axle" to be the rear of any car. They used FF cars in the video so you already know the answer.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (WhiteOnRice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WhiteOnRice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They used FF cars in the video so you already know the answer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, why did i even bother ...Expert Proof doesn't matter to them,
they just want someone to verify their belief of "best tread in front of FF's..."
and, YES! - if theres very little difference in tread,
you will be putting better tread in front when rotating them!

i was more concerned about the idiots who put the new in the front when the tread is only half gone in the back.
like we all say... live and learn!

i guess i can look forward to more "Spun n Crashed" threads! Remember to get pics!
a crash without pics,
...is like a lap dance without chicks!

ewwww....
Old 12-17-2007, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess you could simply slow down in rain and therby have fewer spinouts.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:24 PM

I learned this the hard way when i put the tires w/ more tread up front (i did that so i could have traction when going into 1st). I ended up doing a 360 off the freeway exit. THANK GOD i didnt hit anything and just scratched up my Type R wheel a little from ending up in the gravel.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:16 PM

Bald Tires in rear equal hydroplane hell.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:28 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WyldRice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The reason i'm posting this-
i've seen too many posts with people saying keep best in front (Cuz it's FWD!)
with TOO MANY posts of young AND OLD Drivers Spinning out on corners!

EVEN if your tread is less than half gone on the back, and the fronts are bald...
ALWAYS PUT THE NEW ONES ON BACK!

i've explained why many times in other threads, but i found people still debate it?

Heres a GREAT VIDEO of Professional Drivers and Test course spinouts!

http://www.michelinman.com/tir...ions/
look at the bottom for
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Mounting Two Tires (2 1/2-minute video)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Hit that link AT THE BOTTOM of that Michelin page, and watch the VIDEO Comparison!
There's your proof!
now lets all avoid any more spinouts! </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is very bad info to be giving people.

Truth is your front tires on a front wheel drive vehicle will always wear faster. The front tires have the most weight over them, and they experience more wear because they are always steering and putting power to the ground, not because your spinning them.

By putting your good tires on the rear, your setting yourself up for buying newer tires faster.

In another post you said this "Tire shops are not allowed to let you out the door with better tread on the front- it's against the law in this state!"

Just for the record, I live in Wisconsin, right next door to Minnesota. I know Minnesota does not have a law like like that, because that would be very stupid for a lot of reasons. I know about driving in any conditions, whether it be dry,wet, muddy, snow, ice, I've seen and done it all. As far as handeling in any condition, it has more to do about the way you drive than what kind of tread you have on your rear tires. If your a dumbass and drive fast in slippery conditions anybody will spin out regardless of there tread on there back tires. If you would like to start a conversation on cornering or handleing, I will gladly have an input.

the only time anybody should have the better tread on there rear tires is if they are out mudding with there 2wd pickup.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NO SPINOUTS= Rotate your Tires PUT BEST TREAD IN BACK! Video PROOF! (Type-Slayer)

ok, i give up!

you guys are right, PUT THE BEST TREAD IN FRONT! FTMFW!
it wears faster!

all better!
ok then!
Old 12-18-2007, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when i had better tread on front i spun out twice during summer with mild pushing.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:42 AM

Default Re: NO SPINOUTS= Rotate your Tires PUT BEST TREAD IN BACK! Video PROOF! (korean)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by korean &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when i had better tread on front i spun out twice during summer with mild pushing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There is more than one thing going wrong with these situations, once again it is probaly driver error. if you car was pushing you probably then tapped the breaks in the middle of a corner which took all the weight off the rear tires which caused you to spin.

This is exaclty how every spin out that i have seen starts. Someone is bombin along into a corner too fast, on dry or wet pavement, then breaks either through the corner, or taps the breaks or does not acclerate through the corner, which causes the *** end to get light, and then spin. This will happen with good or bad tread.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 02bluteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I learned this the hard way when i put the tires w/ more tread up front (i did that so i could have traction when going into 1st). I ended up doing a 360 off the freeway exit. THANK GOD i didnt hit anything and just scratched up my Type R wheel a little from ending up in the gravel.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same thing, you spun because you were probably going too fast and probably breaking around a corner or atleast not accelerating since it was an exit. You did not spin out because your good tread was up front.

if you have the choice just rotate your tires every 3000 miles with your oil changes and keep your tread wear even.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NO SPINOUTS= Rotate your Tires PUT BEST TREAD IN BACK! Video PROOF! (Type-Slayer)

In the dry, all things being equal, less tread = better grip (there's a reason racing tires have no/very little treads).

In the wet, all things being equal, less tread = worse grip (there's a reason racing rain tires have some tread).

I usually put the thicker tread up front so that I get more even wear. Also, with my snow tires, and an open diff, I need as much traction as I can get up front to make forward progress (already surpassed last Winter's total snow fall in Boston this December).

The bottom line is, if you're "spinning out" unintentionally in any conditions, you need to go to a Skip Barber driving school or something similar and learn some skills. If you spin out and cause me to crash, I'm coming after you (assuming I'm not injured).

Slow the F down if you don't have driving skills.

Braking in turns
Spinning on ramps
Cornering too fast in the rain
WTF is wrong with people?
Old 12-18-2007, 11:15 AM
I ask Twitter, not xtrac1

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

OMFG!!! What the hell is wrong with you people? The new tires go on the rear PERIOD!!! BRIDGESTONE FIRESTONE MICHELIN YOKOHAMA FALKEN THEY ALL TELL YOU THIS.

I swear you people are idiots for arguing with tire guys about this.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:26 AM

My car started to slowly spin out, then i hit the brakes (just my natural reaction) and completely spun around. My tires were bald in the rear and had ok tread in the front.

The next day i bought new tires.

Quick Reply: NO SPINOUTS= Rotate your Tires PUT BEST TREAD IN BACK! Video PROOF!