Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-rsx-dc5-honda-civic-ep3-32/)
-   -   Clicking / Popping Noise Coming From Front Drivers Side Axle (Not Normal Turning Pop) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-rsx-dc5-honda-civic-ep3-32/clicking-popping-noise-coming-front-drivers-side-axle-not-normal-turning-pop-3080301/)

SDHonda153 08-14-2012 05:33 PM

Clicking / Popping Noise Coming From Front Drivers Side Axle (Not Normal Turning Pop)

I have a 2002 RSX Type-S. Been in the Honda game for about 11 years now. About a 6 months ago my drivers side axle starting clicking while turning, so I went ahead and ordered an Axle from AutoZone. Swapped out both the axle and the lower ball joint at the same time. About 3 months later I started hearing a clicking / popping coming from the front end. It pops every time I accelerate, decelerate, or hit a bump of any kind. Turning has no effect on it, it does it both turning and going straight. I jacked the car up (put it on jack stands) and checked all the ball joints and tie rods, they were all good. Took the wheels off, fired up the car, and it still does it when I put it in gear. And while spinning it will do it again when I press the brake. I shut the car off and grabbed the axle, it doesn't have any up or down play, however it does have some back and forth play.
My question, I realize the axle has some back and forth play and could very well be the cause of my popping noise. But before I went and swapped out the axle again, I wanted to know if there could be anything else you guys know of that would cause that in the drivetrain? Like a throwout bearing or anything else, because the axels are only about 6 months old. I wasn't sure if the axle play was just because I had the car in the air with the suspension was sagged all the way down. Any info would be Great!

HurriSkiest 08-17-2012 01:09 AM

Re: Clicking / Popping Noise Coming From Front Drivers Side Axle (Not Normal Turning

Originally Posted by SDHonda153 (Post 47733451)
I have a 2002 RSX Type-S. Been in the Honda game for about 11 years now. About a 6 months ago my drivers side axle starting clicking while turning, so I went ahead and ordered an Axle from AutoZone. Swapped out both the axle and the lower ball joint at the same time. About 3 months later I started hearing a clicking / popping coming from the front end. It pops every time I accelerate, decelerate, or hit a bump of any kind. Turning has no effect on it, it does it both turning and going straight. I jacked the car up (put it on jack stands) and checked all the ball joints and tie rods, they were all good. Took the wheels off, fired up the car, and it still does it when I put it in gear. And while spinning it will do it again when I press the brake. I shut the car off and grabbed the axle, it doesn't have any up or down play, however it does have some back and forth play.
My question, I realize the axle has some back and forth play and could very well be the cause of my popping noise. But before I went and swapped out the axle again, I wanted to know if there could be anything else you guys know of that would cause that in the drivetrain? Like a throwout bearing or anything else, because the axels are only about 6 months old. I wasn't sure if the axle play was just because I had the car in the air with the suspension was sagged all the way down. Any info would be Great!

Is it on both side of the car that you can hear it from? are the subframe bolts tightend to spec. I know a buddy of mine was having a popping and clicking nosie and his subframe was not tightend down all the way.

SDHonda153 09-16-2012 05:58 AM

Re: Clicking / Popping Noise Coming From Front Drivers Side Axle (Not Normal Turning

It's just on the drivers side. It seems like it is coming from where the CV connects into the transmission. I don't exactly think it is a clutch issue because it will do it just by pressing and releasing the throttle while driving with the clutch pedal out and it fully engaged. Could it be something to do with the final drive and/or differential?

jphillips_civic 09-16-2012 06:27 AM

Normally a clicking sound when turning is an indication that your cv axles need replacing

SDHonda153 09-16-2012 06:42 AM

I understand that, I have already replaced the axle once for that reason as stated above. This is coming from the inside where the axle meets the transmission. It also clicks/pops the same amount whether I'm turning or going in a straight line.

poeticfinesse21 09-16-2012 06:51 AM

The axles from autozone are of very shitty quality, I know a few people that have had an autozone axle pop out on them and they almost always wear out very quickly.
Get axles from here:
http://www.driveshaftshop.com/import...c-axle-level-0
or buy a used OEM axle

hondaj21857 09-17-2012 04:26 AM

Do you have coilovers?

SDHonda153 09-26-2012 02:59 PM

Yes, it's on Tanabe Sustec SO-C coilovers

prelude_h22vtec 09-26-2012 04:48 PM

I'd check the LCA bushings. I've seen a few EM2s and DC5s with torn bushings, causing some serious play up there.