Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

Car stalling when low on gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car stalling when low on gas

So I've had my type s now for about 5 months, and a problem just started occurring.

So 2 weeks ago, my gas gauge was the lowest I've let it get, about 1/8th of a tank, the gas light wasn't on, but i've never let the tank get below 1/4th tank ever. The car stalled 3 times in traffic in about 10 minutes. Once while stopping, another while accelerating from a stop, and once while cruising along in 6th at 40. Once I got onto the highway and was cruising at 70 in 6th it didn't stall the entire 15 minute drive. I stopped, filled up. and it didn't stall anymore.

Today, again, gas gauge below 1/4th, has yet to stall. I fill up with 93 at the local shell. Always topping the tank off to the brim. As I'm pulling away, the car stalls. Start it back up, has yet to stall, but for some reason I feel like its lacking a bit. Not sure if I'm just paranoid as it still chirps into 2nd but the lower rpms seem to be lacking some power.

No check engine light. Battery and alternator were checked, alternator good, battery reading 12.7 volts. Idle is steady at ~600-700.

My guess is a fuel filter or pump being clogged? Or maybe a lot of debris in the tank? I hate to start throwing money at the problem and would like some definitive help.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Car stalling when low on gas

Disconnect one of the fuel injector at engine bay, and see whether it is consistently spraying fuel while started the car. An early fuel pump failure should deliver lower fuel pressure, and less fuel to the fuel injector, especially on low fuel level.

You should test before the fuel filter line for similar fuel delivery test as well to determine whether it is due to dirty fuel filter.

The fuel pump will start to pump for few seconds (5 - 30 sec) when you turn the ignition switch to II position (prime fuel line). So you not necessary to crank the engine for short test.

As temporary workaround, carry a Philip screw driver with you. When it failed, remove the rear seat, and the fuel pump cover plate. Hit the fuel pump and it will start working temporary

Since this is intermittent, but more frequent at low fuel level, you might want to fill up a portable fuel container, and waits for low fuel in the gas tank, then perform above test.

New fuel pump cost ~ USD$100 (not original), or get from junk yard. It is a highly reliable part, so a used unit is acceptable

If you have testing tools for fuel pressure and fuel flow rate, then use those.