Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-rsx-dc5-honda-civic-ep3-32/)
-   -   Buddy Club short shifter vs upgraded shifter bushings. (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-rsx-dc5-honda-civic-ep3-32/buddy-club-short-shifter-vs-upgraded-shifter-bushings-2456220/)

square_1 12-20-2008 05:35 PM

Buddy Club short shifter vs upgraded shifter bushings.

Thinking of what I wanna do for my car for XMAS besides a rear sway bar. I was looking into the shifter bushings and the short shifter. What experience have you guys had? I have searched into it and read potential problems of excess tranny wear and more heightened chance of a mis shift but is this true? Or is it driver stupidity? I wanna hear from some of you that have either or item and what difference it has made!

Thanks guys!

Type-Spaz 12-20-2008 10:12 PM

Buy the p-spec short throw shift kit. Also comes with the metal shift bushings. Greatest shifter I've ever had!

square_1 12-21-2008 01:37 AM

Don't think they make it for the EP3. :(

Type-Spaz 12-21-2008 07:24 AM

Re: Buddy Club short shifter vs upgraded shifter bushings.

snap sorry sometimes I hate that we are in the same chat forum. I didn't look at the picture of your car. No they don't make it for the ep3. In that case Buddy Club for sure.

MITeggy17 12-21-2008 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Type-'S'paz (Post 36766943)
Buy the p-spec short throw shift kit. Also comes with the metal shift bushings. Greatest shifter I've ever had!

I second this, went from a BCSS (Which is crap by the way) to the PSpec.

boynblue 12-21-2008 08:49 AM

I have the bcss and its been good to me. Had it for about year an half now. But having both a SS and bushings replaced would seem best. Seems a lot have done that. I just have a bcss an have had no issues. I checked out the p-spec an it looks nice. Did not know it was out there. First time seeing it. Might have to switch down the road. Found and saved link to p-spec. Does everything stock hook back up on the p-spec?

square_1 12-21-2008 11:44 AM

I am thinking about rocking the BCSS and the bushings. Of many cars I have driven the EP3 is still pretty stiff and a pretty short throw (especially compared to a sloppy long WRX) but a stiffer shorter throw would be nice.

T_Virus 12-22-2008 09:12 AM

get both the bcss with the corsport bushings...I got both and so far so good...

you DC5 guys are funnie...lol...

turboteg2nv 12-22-2008 11:24 AM

I have the BCSS and the "underhood" bushings and it feels pretty solid. If you get the BCSS I would plan on getting the JDM shift boot as well.

Oh, and have fun installing it. It's a total pain in the ass, I had to remove the entire center console and fight with the shifter linkage for a while.

josh's ep3 12-22-2008 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by turboteg2nv (Post 36780011)
Oh, and have fun installing it. It's a total pain in the ass, I had to remove the entire center console and fight with the shifter linkage for a while.

This is why I haven't done it already haha. I'm in lazy mode for winter. If I can't do it without getting frustrated then I'm gonna pass haha.

turboteg2nv 12-23-2008 08:29 AM

^^ I'd be EXTREMELY cautious doing this in the winter, plastic doesn't like to bend when it's cold, it's gets very brittle.

WhiteOnRice 12-23-2008 10:36 AM

BCSS is on my list for spring mods. I already have the aluminum b00shings.

square_1 12-23-2008 05:01 PM

I have decided to NOT get the BCSS... I have heard too many bad things about extreme wear on the tranny and stuff. And it furthered confirmed that fact to me when I was reading Sport Compact Car today and they were explaining why they frown upon short shifters except on pure track cars because of the tranny stress. A little shorter throw for 150 bucks isn't worth possibly causing more expensive troubles in the future. And the EP shift throw is stock pretty nice.

I did just order all the bushings though! :)

Thanks for the help guys.

tweek_boii 06-05-2009 09:35 AM

I have never purchased a short shifter on any of my hondas, Integra, Accord, Rsx. I have never used a short shifter, does it really do such an upgrade?

shietzitzkien 06-05-2009 10:19 AM

i think it varies from people to people. i felt a difference. got the short throw and bushings.

square_1 02-10-2010 09:59 AM

I actually got the bushings. Big difference and it is cheaper too!

cloumep3 06-13-2010 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by square_1 (Post 36793867)
I have decided to NOT get the BCSS... I have heard too many bad things about extreme wear on the tranny and stuff. And it furthered confirmed that fact to me when I was reading Sport Compact Car today and they were explaining why they frown upon short shifters except on pure track cars because of the tranny stress. A little shorter throw for 150 bucks isn't worth possibly causing more expensive troubles in the future. And the EP shift throw is stock pretty nice.

I did just order all the bushings though! :)

Thanks for the help guys.

I've heard similar stories about shortshifter on ep's..., but def. bushings

square_1 06-14-2010 10:48 AM

Well like I said there are a bit of complaints about them and it seems every other week someone on here has mis shifted and bent a valve. ;)

06rsxts 06-14-2010 03:45 PM

I had the buddy club short shifter but took it out and now have just the shifter bushings and metal tranny bushings...feels great

NEO_FOLLOWER2 01-09-2011 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by 06rsxts (Post 42758868)
I had the buddy club short shifter but took it out and now have just the shifter bushings and metal tranny bushings...feels great

Still have the short shifter? Im looking for one