Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

broke timing all valves replaced now sounds like a UEL header

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 07:52 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broke timing all valves replaced now sounds like a UEL header

2005 RSX stock block,(Rebuilt Head), aem intake, invidia cat back exhaust, suspension .... now what happened..all i do is install motor mount inserts go to start it.. it only cranks and we keep cranking to see if it'll start.. No luck so we dive a bit deeper and find it jumped timing cause every once in awhile it would wanna start but die immediately so we take it apart and find all the valves are bent. so we send the head out to replace all the valves and redo timing and now that cold start hum i used to get now sounds like a subaru but no cel. so we check comp basically 149 across the board then did new spark plugs and new coils.. no change. now i scoped the crank sensor and the wave form is perfect. so i check injectors and they seem to be fine but i find cylinder 2 misfiring the most. reason was a bad wire. fixed that and checked all the other wiring..all good there, then injectors were next, so we decided to swap a known good fuel rail with injectors and nothing changed! so something feels fishy..there is no misfire count and i dont think it can run with bad cam senor (correct me if im wrong) so fuel,air, and compression are fine plus timing (i think) i didnt time it but does it run like that outta timing? also any other ideas other then timing would greatly appreciated!
Old 01-17-2019, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default Re: broke timing all valves replaced now sounds like a UEL header

Were the valves adjusted after the cylinder head was re-worked ??? Doing a valve job or replacing the OE valves with aftermarket valves typically pushes the valve stems deeper into the head which closes the necessary clearance between the valve tip and the rocker arm... many times keeping the valves slightly open and causing the misfires and low compression. A stock K20 should have compression numbers far higher than 150psi.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:55 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: broke timing all valves replaced now sounds like a UEL header

yeah i missed out on a couple things we also did. so we adjusted valves twice cause we that was the initial cause for the subaru sound. nothing changed... and we also had good fuel, checked vacuum leaks, that was all good. and just to add but not important is when we first tried starting it and it wouldnt, so we replaced the immobilizer
edit* we didnt upgrade the valves just went oem

Last edited by KorSidy; 01-18-2019 at 05:41 PM.