Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

2006 Type S bouncy idle / surging idle / limp mode / stalling / hard start... HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Type S bouncy idle / surging idle / limp mode / stalling / hard start... HELP!!!

This car has been an absolute royal headache for some time now. Anyways, it’s a 2006 type S. K20A2 bottom end with the K20Z1 head. I rebuilt the motor with all the main ‘wear’ components (rings, main bearings, rod bearings, valve stem seals, gaskets, etc, etc,etc.).

Anyways, day number one of the car being back up and running was good. The car ran great. Day number 2, I decided to jump on it a little bit and take it up to 7-7,500 RPMs in 4th gear and see how it does. After slowing down from high RPMs and shifting into neutral, the idle started bouncing around from between 1,000-3,000 RPMs, and it wouldn’t settle down. I was pulling into work at the time, so I just parked it and let it sit for my shift.

Once my shift ended, I had to drive the car home. Ran fine when I babied it, but once I tried getting on it again, the idle started bouncing around again - this time with a check engine light.

The next day, I had the CEL scanned. It was for the TPS. I looked at my TPS and noticed that it was broken, so I must have hit it off of the rad support when I was dropping the motor in - OOPS!

Anyways, I changed the TPS sensor out and started the car back up again - everything seemed okay. Took it to work again and babied it for half of the way to work, then I jumped on it again. This time, the idle hunting was really bad, bouncing quickly from 1,000-2,000 RPMs, often times turning into an idle surge, which led to the motor stalling out. It also took turned over longer than normal in order to get the motor fired back up. The car was also in limp mode, not going anywhere over 3,000 RPMs (and was very sluggish on the way to the 3,000 RPM limp mode mark).

I scanned the codes again, this time to see 6 codes. 5 of them were a repeating P1129 - a MAP sensor code, and the other one was a code 61-1 which is a battery voltage malfunction (I’ve never personally seen a code 61-1 before).

So, once again, I limped the car home from work. The next day, which was today, I started tearing back into it. I took the throttle body off and cleaned up the IACV and re-oiled it (the IACV was pretty corroded and hard to move, so I thought that this may have been the problem). Buttoned everything back up and fired it up. No check engine light this time, but I was getting the fast, bouncy idle from 1,000-2,000 RPMs.

I decided to re-check my voltage to the TPS sensor that I just changed the prior day. I was getting 5 volts at closed throttle - yes, five volts, and not point five. Beings that I ran into an identical situation like this on an Integra of mine, I knew what to check. I probed the connector that plugs into the TPS to check for a ground signal, and just as I expected, there was none. So, I ran my own ground wire to the TPS then re-calibrated the TPS to .485 volts closed throttle and 4.5 volts fully open throttle.

Hoping that the TPS not having a ground signal was my problem, I fired the car back up just to find out that it was still bouncing in idle from 1,000-2,000 RPMs. At this point, I figured I’d check for a ground signal at the MAP sensor connector as well. To my surprise, I wasn’t getting a ground signal to this connector either. I ran a jumper wire from the ground wire of the MAP sensor connector to the ground wire that I just ran from the TPS connector and tried to start the car back up. Now all of a sudden, the car will fire up, but instantly dies out within a few seconds. I would assume that apparently the MAP sensor and TPS can it be grounded from the same ground for some reason. I don’t get it.

Anyways, this is where I’m at not and I don’t know where to go from here, so any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

- DJ
Old 03-28-2019, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2006 Type S bouncy idle / surging idle / limp mode / stalling / hard start... HEL

Sometimes the simplest things can be a bitch. your problem sounds similar to one i had on my 2002 Sir, surging, almost stalling and it was a simple vacuum leak, have you checked that?
Old 02-23-2023, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2006 Type S bouncy idle / surging idle / limp mode / stalling / hard start... HEL

Any update on how you fixed this problem I'm having the same issue atm
Old 04-14-2023, 04:38 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by 2drhatch
Any update on how you fixed this problem I'm having the same issue atm
dead thread, but I'd bet he had a bad ground upstream of all these other grounds. I've had similar problems recently, but it was a bad IAC in conjunction with a bad IABCTV (or something like that).