Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

2003 Acura RSX Type-S

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Acura RSX Type-S

SO I'm having troubles with my RSX. I left camping last weekend left the car at my cousins. When I came back to pick it up it started well no problems no issues. The following day Mon morning it didn't want to start. The dashboard lights turned & all but no crank. Swapped the starter because to my thought I believed it could've been that but it was no good. If I mess with the shift **** while I have the ignition switch on it'll start. It takes some time but it will start.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2003 Acura RSX Type-S

CEL? Maybe a clutch switch?
Old 07-12-2018, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

If this is a manual car (like all Type S RSX's are), the shifter would have absolutely nothing to do with the car starting. I am not even sure why you would try to row it around, but whatever... the suggestion above about the clutch switch is a good start, as well as the charge harness between the battery and the starter. Corrosion/damage of this harness will make the car difficult to start.

Since your post potentially suggests that you have an automatic transmission (I only say this because messing with the auto shift **** may actually engage the "parking pawl"), you may have to investigate the automatic shifter mechanism as well.

Do you hear ANY noise when you are trying to start the engine ???
Old 07-13-2018, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My CEL is on but it was because of my knock sensor now I haven't checked to see what it is because I replaced the Knock sensor.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No engine noise when I try starting it.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So get to work: Check battery voltage, check main relay and starter relay/fuses. Any fuel pump noise? Still haven't verified that it is manual/automatic, which is it? Just making sure it's a type S 6 speed. make sure it's not in reverse, some reverse lockouts include engine kill switches. Check shifter mechanism make sure it's connected to the stick lol. Check the CEL again. Any tick from the starter solenoid? Did you CONNECT the starter solenoid?
Old 07-14-2018, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First off the car is manual. That I have known all Type-S are manual just like all GSRs are manual just like all SIs are manual & just like all Type-Rs are manual. I wouldn’t get an automatic if I’m going to fix a project/daily. The battery is good got it checked, the neutral switch was a bit bad but already replaced, I am going to check my relays & fuses to make sure those are okay. CEL is the knock sensor which I haven’t reset the code.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thisguyaves
So get to work: Check battery voltage, check main relay and starter relay/fuses. Any fuel pump noise? Still haven't verified that it is manual/automatic, which is it? Just making sure it's a type S 6 speed. make sure it's not in reverse, some reverse lockouts include engine kill switches. Check shifter mechanism make sure it's connected to the stick lol. Check the CEL again. Any tick from the starter solenoid? Did you CONNECT the starter solenoid?
I haven’t checked that reverse lockout.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is not a "neutral switch" on a manual Honda... so I am assuming you are referring to the clutch switch. No sound when starting... like no click, nothing suggests that the clutch switch is the culprit. Remember that there are TWO clutch switches on the clutch pedal... the lower one is for the cruise control and has nothing to do with the starting. The upper one... yeah the one that is much harder to get to... is the one that keeps the car from starting if the clutch isn't depressed.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
There is not a "neutral switch" on a manual Honda... so I am assuming you are referring to the clutch switch. No sound when starting... like no click, nothing suggests that the clutch switch is the culprit. Remember that there are TWO clutch switches on the clutch pedal... the lower one is for the cruise control and has nothing to do with the starting. The upper one... yeah the one that is much harder to get to... is the one that keeps the car from starting if the clutch isn't depressed.
Anyway you can check to see if it’s faulty without having to buy a new one?
Old 07-15-2018, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by monzter37

Anyway you can check to see if it’s faulty without having to buy a new one?
You can unplug it and use a paperclip to "loop" the 2-pin plug and then try to start the car. If the switch (or switch pad in the clutch pedal arm) are bad, then the car will start with the switch plug jumped. It is just inconvenient to get to since it is way high up under the dash near the top of the clutch pedal arm.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool. Thanks. I'll definitely Try it out. Really appreciate the help.