2002 Si, engine cuts out around 4000 RPM - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion


Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

     
Old 03-25-2015, 12:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
 
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

2002 Si, engine cuts out around 4000 RPM

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
ShamArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Manhattan, KS, USA
Posts: 35
Default 2002 Si, engine cuts out around 4000 RPM

Whenever I go above 4000 RPMs the engine cuts out as if I wasn't even pressing the gas. If I release the pedal and let it drop back down then it's fine. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Thanks.
ShamArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:41 AM   #2
El Presidente
 
DaveSi677's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Canada but from Montreal
Posts: 8,096
Default Re: 2002 Si, engine cuts out around 4000 RPM

check you oil level! Usually low oil level the ecu will put you in limp mode so you don't damage the engine!
DaveSi677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
ShamArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Manhattan, KS, USA
Posts: 35
Default Re: 2002 Si, engine cuts out around 4000 RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSi677 View Post
check you oil level! Usually low oil level the ecu will put you in limp mode so you don't damage the engine!
Thanks for the response!

I checked the oil this morning while changing spark plugs and it was full. After I was done I took it out for a spin. I never kept my foot on the gas when it cut out because I was worried I would damage something but I did today so I can maybe give a little more info. When I hit 4k RPM, in 1st, 2nd and 3rd (didnt go higher) it was almost like I was hitting the rev limited. It would cut out and in as if it just wouldn't let me go higher.

Any other ideas?

EDIT: I am sorry I didn't add this. I do have a check engine light. It reads my secondary o2 sensor is bad. It has been like this for about 2 months. I have the part but haven't gotten around to change it. When this initially came on I did not have the 4k RPM problem. Could this be affecting it? I figured since it didn't do it initially it was two different issues.

Last edited by ShamArtist; 02-19-2011 at 08:28 AM.
ShamArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
El Presidente
 
DaveSi677's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Canada but from Montreal
Posts: 8,096
Default Re: 2002 Si, engine cuts out around 4000 RPM

02 sensor wouldnt cause it to go in limp mode... it can't do any harm to the engine!

I think you may have another code other then the o2 sensor. Is there a possibility of you scanning it again?
DaveSi677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
be professional
 
Targa250R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 14,842
Default Re: 2002 Si, engine cuts out around 4000 RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamArtist View Post
Thanks for the response!

I checked the oil this morning while changing spark plugs and it was full. After I was done I took it out for a spin. I never kept my foot on the gas when it cut out because I was worried I would damage something but I did today so I can maybe give a little more info. When I hit 4k RPM, in 1st, 2nd and 3rd (didnt go higher) it was almost like I was hitting the rev limited. It would cut out and in as if it just wouldn't let me go higher.

Any other ideas?

EDIT: I am sorry I didn't add this. I do have a check engine light. It reads my secondary o2 sensor is bad. It has been like this for about 2 months. I have the part but haven't gotten around to change it. When this initially came on I did not have the 4k RPM problem. Could this be affecting it? I figured since it didn't do it initially it was two different issues.
An oxygen sensor code won't cause a low rev limit. I can guarantee you that there are more codes stored in the ECM - likely a P1259, P2646, or P2647. You obviously haven't checked codes since the rev limit problem has occurred - this is why it's stupid to drive around with the Check Egnine light on constantly, especially when you know it's an easy and inexpensive repair like an oxygen sensor.

If the oil level is full, and you have a code P2646 or P2647, replace the VTEC oil pressure switch on the VTEC spool valve. If you have a code P1259, replace the entire VTEC spool valve.

If you have any other codes, post them here.
Targa250R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
ShamArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Manhattan, KS, USA
Posts: 35
Default Re: 2002 Si, engine cuts out around 4000 RPM

Well after my first drive I let it sit for awhile and then had to go somewhere. I showed someone what was going on and now it doesn't do it. Drove it around for awhile and it seems fine now. Could the spark plugs been causing it? Kind of strange that's all I changed.
ShamArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #7
be professional
 
Targa250R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 14,842
Default Re: 2002 Si, engine cuts out around 4000 RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamArtist View Post
Well after my first drive I let it sit for awhile and then had to go somewhere. I showed someone what was going on and now it doesn't do it. Drove it around for awhile and it seems fine now. Could the spark plugs been causing it? Kind of strange that's all I changed.
No, the spark plugs didn't cause it.

A failing VTEC pressure switch or spool valve can work intermittently. The problem will likely occur again if those parts are causing it.

As I said, you need to hook it up to an OBD-2 scanner and check all of the codes that are stored.
Targa250R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #8
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
ShamArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Manhattan, KS, USA
Posts: 35
Default Re: 2002 Si, engine cuts out around 4000 RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targa250R View Post
No, the spark plugs didn't cause it.

A failing VTEC pressure switch or spool valve can work intermittently. The problem will likely occur again if those parts are causing it.

As I said, you need to hook it up to an OBD-2 scanner and check all of the codes that are stored.
I am going to change the o2 tomorrow morning then get it scanned again.
ShamArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #9
be professional
 
Targa250R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 14,842
Default Re: 2002 Si, engine cuts out around 4000 RPM

You said the code is for a secondary sensor? Make sure to use a Denso 234-4122 or NTK 24409 replacement sensor. The Denso can usually be found cheaper (it's about $44 on Amazon).
Targa250R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
ShamArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Manhattan, KS, USA
Posts: 35
Default Re: 2002 Si, engine cuts out around 4000 RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targa250R View Post
You said the code is for a secondary sensor? Make sure to use a Denso 234-4122 or NTK 24409 replacement sensor. The Denso can usually be found cheaper (it's about $44 on Amazon).
I have had the Denzo for awhile just never replaced it. I am in the military and have been to busy but I have some time this weekend so I am taking advantage.
ShamArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:46 AM   #11
El Presidente
 
DaveSi677's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Canada but from Montreal
Posts: 8,096
Default Re: 2002 Si, engine cuts out around 4000 RPM

Targa on the ball!!! Good job bud... I agree with everything he posted!!!

If you don't take care of the issue know it will likely happen again!
DaveSi677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #12
Honda-Tech Member
 
turboteg2nv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 2,788
Default Re: 2002 Si, engine cuts out around 4000 RPM

This is a generic response supporting what everyone else has already said. /Dave

turboteg2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #13
El Presidente
 
DaveSi677's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Canada but from Montreal
Posts: 8,096
Default Re: 2002 Si, engine cuts out around 4000 RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboteg2nv View Post
This is a generic response supporting what everyone else has already said. /Dave

haha
DaveSi677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #14
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
ShamArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Manhattan, KS, USA
Posts: 35
Default Re: 2002 Si, engine cuts out around 4000 RPM

Car is good now! No CEL and runs like a champ. Thanks for the help.
ShamArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #15
El Presidente
 
DaveSi677's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Canada but from Montreal
Posts: 8,096
Default Re: 2002 Si, engine cuts out around 4000 RPM

Can you give us details on what you did? This will help the database of HT!
DaveSi677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:50 AM   #16
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
ShamArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Manhattan, KS, USA
Posts: 35
Default Re: 2002 Si, engine cuts out around 4000 RPM

Took my daughter to school this morning and the limp mode came back. No CEL! Talk to someone about it and this is what they said. He had an RSX that would do the same thing only when it was cold out. About 40 degrees and below. He told me the only reason "I fixed it" yesterday was because it was unusually warm, which is was about 70 degrees. This morning it was about 20. This makes no sense to me...

He said he just dealt with the limp mode in the winter and when it got warm it was fine. Eventually he just sold it. Anyone have any input on this?
ShamArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:26 AM   #17
Honda-Tech Member
 
dx_rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: rochester, ny, usa
Posts: 236
Default Re: 2002 Si, engine cuts out around 4000 RPM

when is the last time you changed your oil? put the reccomended amount of some fresh 5-30 in. let us know how it goes.

are you trying to go beyond 4k before you are up to operating temp.?
dx_rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:38 AM   #18
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
ShamArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Manhattan, KS, USA
Posts: 35
Default Re: 2002 Si, engine cuts out around 4000 RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dx_rex View Post
when is the last time you changed your oil? put the reccomended amount of some fresh 5-30 in. let us know how it goes.

are you trying to go beyond 4k before you are up to operating temp.?
Oil change was about 1000 miles ago. I always let the car sit until it's warm before I drive.
ShamArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #19
El Presidente
 
DaveSi677's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Canada but from Montreal
Posts: 8,096
Default Re: 2002 Si, engine cuts out around 4000 RPM

You need to get your car scanned again! No reason for the car to go in limp mode when its colder outside!
DaveSi677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #20
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
ShamArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Manhattan, KS, USA
Posts: 35
Default Re: 2002 Si, engine cuts out around 4000 RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSi677 View Post
You need to get your car scanned again! No reason for the car to go in limp mode when its colder outside!
Yeah, I went out and the damn CEL came back on as I drove by Autozone... figures right? Anyway had it scanned since I was there and I got a P1298 ELD circuit high input. Says probable cause open or short circuit or failed ECM. Also got a P1259 VTEC system malfunction. Probable cause VTEC Solenoid or pressure switch fault, blocked oil passage.
ShamArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #21
Honda-Tech Member
 
turboteg2nv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 2,788
Default Re: 2002 Si, engine cuts out around 4000 RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamArtist View Post
P1298 ELD circuit high input.
That sucks.

Read this:
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthr...-w-part-(P1298)
turboteg2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #22
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
ShamArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Manhattan, KS, USA
Posts: 35
Default Re: 2002 Si, engine cuts out around 4000 RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboteg2nv View Post
Looked it over, thanks! Going to order the part. I just read about the other code in the manual. Holy crap there's a lot of steps to go through to see what exactly is wrong. FML!
ShamArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #23
be professional
 
Targa250R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 14,842
Default Re: 2002 Si, engine cuts out around 4000 RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targa250R View Post
If you have a code P1259, replace the entire VTEC spool valve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Targa250R View Post
A failing VTEC pressure switch or spool valve can work intermittently. The problem will likely occur again if those parts are causing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamArtist View Post
got a P1259 VTEC system malfunction
This is causing your rev limit problem. The VTEC spool valve is bad. Replace it. Part number 15810-RAA-A03, price is $104.28 from Honda. It comes with a new gasket and oil pressure switch.

The ELD is not related to the rev limit problem, but it is inexpensive (current list price is $28.73) and easy to replace.
Targa250R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #24
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
ShamArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Manhattan, KS, USA
Posts: 35
Default Re: 2002 Si, engine cuts out around 4000 RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targa250R View Post
This is causing your rev limit problem. The VTEC spool valve is bad. Replace it. Part number 15810-RAA-A03, price is $104.28 from Honda. It comes with a new gasket and oil pressure switch.

The ELD is not related to the rev limit problem, but it is inexpensive (current list price is $28.73) and easy to replace.
Is that the proper name for VTEC Solenoid or is that a complete different piece?
ShamArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #25
be professional
 
Targa250R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 14,842
Default Re: 2002 Si, engine cuts out around 4000 RPM

The solenoid is the electrical portion of the spool valve. It is not available separately from the complete valve assembly.
Targa250R is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VTEC solenoid going out? (EP3) EP3PO Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 1 09-02-2017 03:54 PM
2001 Honda Civic sputtering Kikialex Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) 1 04-30-2017 09:24 AM
1994 INTEGRA LS oldnewbie88 Acura Integra 2 03-23-2017 08:38 PM
1999 accord 2.3 vtec stutters @ 4,000rpm amaidendevil Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) 4 05-16-2016 01:24 PM
P1259 driving me nuts macmilla Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) 1 10-14-2015 11:03 AM


Tags
1990, 2002, 4000, 4k, accord, blinks, check, civic, cut, engine, honda, light, o2, replacing, rev, reving, rpm, rpms, sensor, si

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:24 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: