Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

Hard to shift when not warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to shift when not warmed up

I just bought a 2004 RSX Type S with 174k miles and drives great. I drove it from San Diego to Palm Springs area to go home that day and everything was great. The next day I started it up to go down the street to the store and I shifting to reverse and 1st was almost a no go. I shifted into reverse then couldn't shift out. Turned the car off and shifted out. Turned it back on and had to fight with it to shift to 1st. After driving it up to operating temperature it shifted to 1st and reverse fine. No other gears had that same issue before it was warm. I was looking and saw that it could be the CMC, the slave, need tranny fluid, or syncros could be bad. The thing is that it only did it vefore the engine was warmed up. CMC resivor still full so makes me believe either the slave or that it needs a tranny flush. Previous owner only put 30k on it and doesn't know when it was flushed before then. Should I try a flush first and see what to do next? I'm only hesitant because I had a GM that I took to a shop and they flushed the tranny because rough shifting and I left with a tranny without 1st and reverse and eventually had to replace it. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-27-2017, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hard to shift when not warmed up

Try flushing the transmission fluid first and bleeding the CMC. Use a quality transmission fluid. A lot of people recommend Honda MTF and while it's not a bad fluid, there are better options out there such as Amsoil, Redline, and Torco. If your transmission still shifts crappy after doing those 2 things then your synchronizers may be worn and needs to be replaced.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hard to shift when not warmed up

Sorry for the late update. I adjusted the clutch pedal and shifts like butter now. I noticed that when not in gear but almost in gear with the clutch fully pressed the car would still move. Adjusted the clutch pedal and no grinding, no fighting. Smooth as butter. I have amsoil transmission fluid that I'm going to change out here real soon. Hope this helps someone else as well.