Notices
Acura NSX Honda / Acura NSX 1990 - 2005 || Honda / Acura NSX 2017 -

Sorry for this dumb nsx question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry for this dumb nsx question

Hey what’s up guys I’m new on here but I have a nsx question which might be dumb to some but whatever. I have a 2008 Acura TL type s and the first generation NSX has always been my dream car but as we all know they aren’t exactly “cheap”. Anyhow I was wondering would it be cheaper to buy a nsx shell and put something like a k series or j series into it or would it just be better to accept the fact that I might have to pay whatever amount the nsx is going for. Keep in mind that I am not looking to purchase said NSX for at least a year or two but I would like to know now so I know where to start looking. Any advice would be extremely helpful. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Re: Sorry for this dumb nsx question

I would recommend trying to save up a bit more and buy a running higher mileage NSX. By the time you've paid someone to install a different drivetrain in the car and work out all the issues you won't be saving much if any money at all. You can buy an NSX, drive it for a few years, then sell it for what you paid for it. You won't get your money back like that on a swap. Also, shells are usually missing a lot more than just the motor, and NSX parts are expensive. It might be good to join the NSXPrime forum or Facebook group and ask about how much people have spent attempting similar projects.

If you want to save money, look into imported right hand drive cars as they are usually quite a bit cheaper. Automatics are also much cheaper than manuals.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks motor mouth, cool name by the way. I appreciate the info. I figured that no matter which route I go it will be expensive. That’s what happens when you want a Japanese Ferrari such as the NSX. LOL. Anyhow I wasn’t planning on parting with it ever seeming as to how it has been my dream car ever since I can remember. I guess I was trying to find a way to have a poor mans NSX if you know what I mean but that’s not the smart route to take. Like I said before I wouldn’t be seriously looking into buying one for at least a year or two but I wanted to get a head start on which route I should take early so I know what to look for and what to avoid. You are correct about how NSX shells have more missing than just the motor and last time I checked and as you noted NSX parts aren’t cheap.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll partially echo MotorMouth with the "just wait and buy a clean one", or keep an eye out for a high mile hero that just needs some basic maintenance and TLC. The one exception that could make sense would be getting a higher mileage automatic in somewhere in the high $2x,xxx range and swapping it to a manual (which is more involved than just swapping the trans). a 5 speed box runs $2-3k, the matching ecu and adapters and whatnot will be more money, but you could probably dump $5k into the swap that you probably would get back if you sold it later as a fully functional manual car. Consider that speculation vs. advice really and definitely check out NSXPrime for less speculative info .
Old 11-02-2018, 04:25 PM
Trial User

- Get it inspected by a known good NSX inspector.
- Join NSXPrime forums.
- Low mileage does NOT mean low problems.

If I could do it again I would've got a 60,000+ mile NSX and learned how to turn a wrench. My first maintenance bill on the NSX was 5 digits on a 30,000mile NSX (that had sitting at dealers for nearly a year which was owned by 2 people in its lifetime), which was 5yrs ago and have not had issues since then besides vtec solenoids.