Notices
Acura NSX Honda / Acura NSX 1990 - 2005 || Honda / Acura NSX 2017 -

The Future of the NSX told tonight

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 05:26 PM
Painting Masterpieces

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default The Future of the NSX told tonight

According to vtec.net, the future of the NSX is going to be announced tonight. We all know that the current iteration is going to die and now, apparently, a successor is going to be named.

If you're excited, join the club. Here's the info leading up the the announcement:

"We've just received word that a memo was circulated to Acura dealers today regarding an announcement that will be made "this evening" with respect to the future of the NSX. In particular the memo advises that production of the current generation NSX will cease at the end of this year due to strict '06 standards for emissions and equipment in US, Europe and Asia.

The memo says that "it is too early to discuss specific details" (of the next NSX model), but it continues by saying that this "ultra high-performance vehicle will be just as groundbreaking as the 1991 NSX was when introduced fifteen years ago."

This is all we know at this point. If we were to guess, it seems that perhaps the official announcement will be released on http://world.honda.com.

Film at 11.

UPDATE: we've just learned that "this evening" means 7PM Pacific Time.

UPDATE 2: Please note that the nature of the release that's coming at 7PM Pacific time is mostly about the end of the current NSX's run. It's only going to mention that Honda/Acura is currently developing the next generation NSX. There will be no mention of the timetable, but we're pretty sure it's not going to be available next year. We're hoping that there will be more information at the upcoming Tokyo Motor Show. If so, we better quickly figure out how to fund another trip there to cover it!"

And the linkage: http://www.vtec.net/news/news-...78278
Old 07-11-2005, 06:07 PM
Painting Masterpieces

Here's the announcement:

Acura Developing a Successor to NSX
Current Generation NSX Production to Halt at Year End

TORRANCE, Calif. 07/11/2005 -- To further enhance the division's performance image, Acura is developing a new sports car to succeed the award-winning NSX supercar. Acura also announced that production of the current generation NSX will cease at the end of the year due to the extensive retooling necessary to meet stringent 2006 emissions and equipment regulations for the U.S., Europe and Asia.

"We are committed to having an ultra high-performance vehicle in the Acura lineup in the future," said John Mendel, senior vice president, automobile operations. "It's too early to comment on specifics, but the all-new model will be just as groundbreaking as the 1991 NSX."

As the first-ever supercar from Japan, the NSX was created as a hand-built, exotic, mid-engine sports car that would establish entirely new levels of performance, refinement and drivability. The NSX went on sale in the summer of 1990 and the following year posted record U.S. sales of 1,940 vehicles. Through June of 2005, NSX cumulative sales totaled 8,854 in the U.S. and more than 18,000 worldwide.

During its 15-year run, the NSX has been showered with accolades including, Automobile Magazine's "Automobile of the Year and Design of the Year" awards, Popular Science's "Best of What's New," Road &Track's "Ten Best Cars in the World" list. Motor Trend magazine also named the NSX to its "Top Ten Performance Cars" list and touted it as "the best sports car ever built."

Acura designed the NSX as a technological and performance showcase. Among other innovations, it was the first production car to feature an all-aluminum body, chassis, and suspension and to utilize titanium connecting rods. It featured a transversely mounted dual overhead cam V-6 engine equipped with Acura's breakthrough VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) system and a variable volume induction system.

Over time, the NSX received continuous updates to ensure its competitiveness and popularity with serious sports car enthusiasts. The NSX has also captured multiple championships in the highest levels of sports car and prototype racing.

Additional Acura information and downloadable high-resolution images of the NSX are available at http://www.acuranews.com.

So how many of the media hacks were wrong about there not being another NSX?!
Old 07-11-2005, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: The Future of the NSX told tonight (Ponyboy)

Beat me to it. It's going to be exciting!
Old 07-20-2005, 05:37 AM
Painting Masterpieces

Default Re: The Future of the NSX told tonight (MAFA)

Holy chit.

Speech by Honda CEO and Pres:

"We are now focused on the development of a new model to succeed the NSX for a new era. We would like to debut a new super sports car equipped with a V10 engine in 3 to 4 years. Please look forward to seeing the NSX successor."

<== in 3 to 4 years my 91 NSX will have a v10 swap!
Old 07-20-2005, 09:37 AM
El Chico

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ponyboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Holy chit.

&lt;== in 3 to 4 years my 91 NSX will have a v10 swap!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

With 180lb/ft of torque.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:25 PM
Painting Masterpieces

Default Re: The Future of the NSX told tonight (Knightsport)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Knightsport &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

With 180lb/ft of torque. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh shut up. Don't you have some general discussion forum to moderate?
Old 07-21-2005, 08:25 AM
El Chico

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ponyboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Oh shut up. Don't you have some general discussion forum to moderate? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next "NSX" Engine announced

"We are now focused on the development of a new model to succeed the NSX for a new era. We would like to debut a new super sports car equipped with a V10 engine in 3 to 4 years. Please look forward to seeing the NSX successor."

http://world.honda.com/news/2005/c050720_a.html

Uggggggggggggg

VTEC V-10 &gt; *
Old 07-21-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Next "NSX" Engine announced (Boarderx192)

I guess honda really does hate the idea of 8 cylinders.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Next "NSX" Engine announced (coregis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by coregis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I guess honda really does hate the idea of 8 cylinders. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what i'm thinking they'll actually move to, a V8, a V10 just doesn't seem like Honda, but time will tell. I just hope it will perform better than the current NSX.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Next "NSX" Engine announced (Freshazzburu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Freshazzburu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats what i'm thinking they'll actually move to, a V8, a V10 just doesn't seem like Honda, but time will tell. I just hope it will perform better than the current NSX.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sure it does.

They already make a v10 afterall.....
Old 07-21-2005, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Next "NSX" Engine announced (Balthazaar Ramrod)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Balthazaar Ramrod &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sure it does.

They already make a v10 afterall..... </TD></TR></TABLE>

They also already make a V8 and a turbo V8.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Next "NSX" Engine announced (RynoDyno312)

im ignorent about the v10 v8 and v8 turbo, can some one enlighten me, and btw.
v10tec, = M4d vt3c
Old 07-22-2005, 11:02 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RynoDyno312 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They also already make a V8 and a turbo V8.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where? Any pics? In what?
Old 07-22-2005, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

F1, and also in a production car

The JDM Legend, Mugen MAX I think its named. Basically Mugen took the new AWD Acura and put in a 8 with about 500hp. Looks amazing and goes like **** of a shovel.

Also the Nomac Street Version of the Lemans race car uses a Mugen V8.

Both cars are featured in this months J-Tuner magazine from England, With a full feature on the Nomac.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:24 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Next "NSX" Engine announced (Arsenal)

the McLaren Formula 1 car that was kickin *** in the 90's had a N/A Honda V10. Boom.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, if it revs past 8-9, handles just as well as the current NSX, and the power and balance is there, V10 is sure fine with me!
Old 07-23-2005, 01:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Next "NSX" Engine announced (JZPerformance)

Honda IRL engines are V8's, and I'm pretty sure they used to run a turbo V8 in CART, both of which have around 700-800hp. Also, back in the 80's their turbo V6 (1.5L, i think) was putting out around 1200hp in F1 racing.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:10 PM
* B A N N E D *

In the 60's Honda had a V6 1.5L that did 700hp, with 30lbs of boost on that turbo, that the same one your thinkin of?
Old 07-23-2005, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Next "NSX" Engine announced (Redline96LX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redline96LX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In the 60's Honda had a V6 1.5L that did 700hp, with 30lbs of boost on that turbo, that the same one your thinkin of?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, I'm thinking of the '80's turbo F1 engine.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:04 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: The Future of the NSX told tonight (Knightsport)

At least there FINALLY revising it. I mean its been tweaked to perfection, and I LOVE the car. But in reality, sales were rediculous. For a supercar, 18,000 units over 15 years is....well...comparable to Lamborghini, that is, a very low selling car. It sits in the Acura dealer looking pretty to attract people and show what Honda can do. But the civic gets redesined every 5 years, the DC2 made it 7, but this is 15 years of the same frame. In 1991, Laptops were black and white and costed 5 grand, the WWW didnt exist, no one had a home network, car computers all needed their own special manufacturer computer diagnosis, and 8 Megs of ram was considered a shitload. This motor was the top of the line, but in a compact car now, you can get something even more effecient. Granted top of the line is built to last, imagine the car advancements made in the last 15 years since it was designed. The original design was before VTC and carbon fiber everything. A brand new design...well, its gonna kick ***. I love the car, but its too old. Honda, time to make a new benchmark, and like in 91' make it real high.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:08 PM

honda made f1 v10's for ferraris back in the day. i think its the way to go. it be cool if the "successor" is going to be f1 inspired.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RynoDyno312 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honda IRL engines are V8's, and I'm pretty sure they used to run a turbo V8 in CART, both of which have around 700-800hp. Also, back in the 80's their turbo V6 (1.5L, i think) was putting out around 1200hp in F1 racing.</TD></TR></TABLE>
You are right on the size, but the 1.5L engines put out upto 1600bhp in qualifying trim.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:42 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Next "NSX" Engine announced (channy)

thats 1hp per cc.

How big is that turbo??? How many PSI of boost is that? gotta be ****** damn near 100psi!
Old 07-25-2005, 12:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Next "NSX" Engine announced (channy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by channy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You are right on the size, but the 1.5L engines put out upto 1600bhp in qualifying trim.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah but they tuned them down for the actual race. Still amazing, though. Can you imagine driving an engine with enough boost to push 1000hp/liter? The boost kicking in would be insane!

Quick Reply: The Future of the NSX told tonight