Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

winter storage insurance...wut do you guys have?? My insurance is putting BS in my head...any sugges

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winter storage insurance...wut do you guys have?? My insurance is putting BS in my head...any sugges

So I called the insurance to remove full coverage since the car will not move from the garage over the next 5-6 months. I requested to put fire and theft on the car like I did last year. However, the adjuster advised us not to do this because of wut happened earlier this year. Apparently a client with one of the insurance companies only had fire and theft on his car that was stored in his garage. While on vacation his car was stolen, and totaled in a collision. The other people involved were badly hurt. The people that were hurt ended up suing the car owner for damages even though he was away on vacation. His insurance company washed their hands from the case saying he didnt have full coverage. Funny how the thieves werent sued even though it was all their fault.

So b/c of this, my adjuster is telling us not to put fire and theft on the car, and instead get "an endorsement coverage" in case anything happens we would be covered. Im thinking this is just a way to keep my money. There no chance my car can be stolen from my garage, so im thinking this is BS.

Any takes on this?? What kind of insurance do you guys have on ur cars when there stored for the winter?? what should I do??

sorry for the long post

thanks
Old 11-26-2007, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: winter storage insurance...wut do you guys have?? My insurance is putting BS in my head...any su

If this is too personal, I understand. Post the cost out of pocket to you doing it YOUR way or THEIR suggested way.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's absolute bullshit.

My car is stored and I keep comprehensive on the car during the winter.

If someone steals your car and gets in a crash, you are not at fault at all. As soon as your car is stolen, it's stolen. Comprehensive kicks in and you get reimbursed. What happens after a thief steals your car is not your problem.

Put comprehensive on your car and be done with it.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (98 ITR)

"98 ITR" Is right, once your car is stolen it's stolen, There's is probably more to that story that the adjuster is not telling you. Who is your Company if you dont mind me asking ?
Old 11-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MattyP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MattyP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"98 ITR" Is right, once your car is stolen it's stolen, There's is probably more to that story that the adjuster is not telling you. Who is your Company if you dont mind me asking ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

way more
Old 11-26-2007, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (YellowKahuna)

The Lazy Biotch was prob. just telling you that so she wouldnt have to do her job and change your ****... to Lazy
Old 11-26-2007, 02:43 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: winter storage insurance...wut do you guys have?? My insurance is putting BS in my head...any su

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by floatfisher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Apparently a client with one of the insurance companies only had fire and theft on his car that was stored in his garage. While on vacation his car was stolen, and totaled in a collision. The other people involved were badly hurt. The people that were hurt ended up suing the car owner for damages even though he was away on vacation. His insurance company washed their hands from the case saying he didnt have full coverage. </TD></TR></TABLE>

wow if thats all there is to the story(ie: insurance fraud on being stolen, or a freind or family member takeing it for a joyride) then thats fudged up the *** i would personaly just put fire and theft on it if its alot cheaper, and then kill the thief and person thats sueing you if that story happens to you
Old 11-26-2007, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98 ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Put comprehensive on your car and be done with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

isnt this full coverage?? i dont need full coverage when mmy car is in the garage collecting dust. I wanna be able to save money on insurance while im not driving it as well.

i think im just gonna put fire and theft on it and call it a night
Old 11-26-2007, 04:00 PM

that is they want your money,,i put fire and theft every winter,once the car is stolen like 98itr i think anyway it washes your hands of it...
Old 11-26-2007, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (floatfisher)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by floatfisher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

isnt this full coverage?? i dont need full coverage when mmy car is in the garage collecting dust. I wanna be able to save money on insurance while im not driving it as well.

i think im just gonna put fire and theft on it and call it a night </TD></TR></TABLE>

Insurance coverage is divided into three sections:

1) Liability
2) Collision
3) Comprehensive

All three is considered "Full" coverage. Liability is the bare minimum you need to drive. This will cover you or the other person for medical for a specific amount ... usually around $1Million, or $2Million. Collision is optional, and this will cover damage to your car if you are at fault. Comprehensive is your "fire & theft". During the winter months, you keep on Comprehensive, but stop paying liability because it's not on the road, and stop paying collision for the same reason.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98 ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

1) Liability
2) Collision
3) Comprehensive

All three is considered "Full" coverage. Liability is the bare minimum you need to drive. This will cover you or the other person for medical for a specific amount ... usually around $1Million, or $2Million. Collision is optional, and this will cover damage to your car if you are at fault. Comprehensive is your "fire & theft". During the winter months, you keep on Comprehensive, but stop paying liability because it's not on the road, and stop paying collision for the same reason.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Solid explanation!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1) Liability
2) Collision
3) Comprehensive

</TD></TR></TABLE>

gotcha!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (floatfisher)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by floatfisher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i think im just gonna put fire and theft on it and call it a night </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what I did... I have so many boxes covering the R, if you opened the door you wouldn't think a car is being stored there
Old 11-27-2007, 07:08 AM
H-T Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98 ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My car is stored and I keep comprehensive on the car during the winter.

If someone steals your car and gets in a crash, you are not at fault at all. As soon as your car is stolen, it's stolen. Comprehensive kicks in and you get reimbursed. What happens after a thief steals your car is not your problem.

Put comprehensive on your car and be done with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I do (with my other car while I drive my ITR during the winter).
Old 11-27-2007, 07:27 AM

Default Re: (nsxtasy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's what I do (with my other car while I drive my ITR during the winter).
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I keep full coverage so that I can take it out for a spin on those nice days
Old 11-27-2007, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Larkin W.)

For whats its worth, I recently did something similar. My insurance took everything off my car besides Comprehensive as they recommended. Very cheap monthly payments for that too..
Old 11-27-2007, 08:01 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: (neo_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by neo_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For whats its worth, I recently did something similar. My insurance took everything off my car besides Comprehensive as they recommended. Very cheap monthly payments for that too..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Absolutely! Comprehensive is a very small portion of the insurance bill. Mine is about 20 percent of my bill. 80 percent savings r0x0rs!