Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

What to do about repair...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do about repair...

Some of you recently read my last thread a few days ago about my R breaking down. Well I was right and it was the timing belt. And dealership says valves are bent because of it, which I was kinda figuring would happen.

I had a PE timing belt on there since 30K and the car only has 54K on it? I know there is NO way in hell that belt should have snapped already. Should I bother getting in touch with PE about it?

Also, the car was in the dealership 3000K ago for a 50K check up (valve adjustment etc) that I paid $400 for, so they dam well had to of looked at the timing belt. Should I say something to them about that? I know if it was getting that worn somebody was not doing their job at the dealership.

Either way, I need to decided now what kind of belt I want to get. I did some searching and many threads I read, people were saying OEM is just as good as the PE in some ways cause the PE can stretch alot easier.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What to do about repair... (totsie7944)

That's scary. I would contact both PE and the dealership to see if they will do anything for you. You got nothing to lose now, the damage has been done.

<----who's now nervous because he runs a PE timing belt.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:30 PM

Default Re: What to do about repair... (white rocket)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by white rocket &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's scary. I would contact both PE and the dealership to see if they will do anything for you. You got nothing to lose now, the damage has been done.

&lt;----who's now nervous because he runs a PE timing belt.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea I am not ever going to trust a PE belt now. But I should really get a better timing belt than OEM. Maybe toda but I need to research it more.

I don't know how to get in touch with PE. I searched for a website homepage and couldn't find one. Anyone know how I should get in touch with them about this topic?
Old 12-24-2004, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Both shops in my sig sell the PE belt. You can call them to find out more. "Marty T" in the performance section sold me mine(Great seller BTW). I've heard and read on H-T that the PE and Toda belt are pretty much the same as far as specs go. Not sure about the stretching though.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:38 PM

Default Re: What to do about repair... (white rocket)

I just got the stretching fact from a search I did a second ago on HT. I will talk to some shop owners I know around here about getting in touch with PE.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:38 PM

does anyone have a website I could email the company through?
Old 12-24-2004, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe you could look into the trust/greddy timing belt? it's gotta be stronger than stock. just offering suggestions.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i thoguht it was great your original thought was the problem after people accused you of not knowing about your car enough.. not everyone is an expert...

Anyways, I'd definently ask the dealer why they didn't notice anything about the belt...
Old 12-24-2004, 09:05 PM

Default Re: (dk127)

cool man. I appreciate your help and everyones so far. I will try the dealership on Monday. They said they would be giving me a call then.

Right now they think the belt was OEM.... should I tell them it was aftermarket, or play my cards on the factory belt?
Old 12-24-2004, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (totsie7944)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by totsie7944 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Right now they think the belt was OEM.... should I tell them it was aftermarket, or play my cards on the factory belt?</TD></TR></TABLE>

no offense but the way i see it, it doesn't matter, you are pretty much **** out of luck. its a HEAVILY modified motor, and it isn't anything they can warranty whatsoever.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:44 AM

Default Re: (hadboosttroy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hadboosttroy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no offense but the way i see it, it doesn't matter, you are pretty much **** out of luck. its a HEAVILY modified motor, and it isn't anything they can warranty whatsoever.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha yea thanks for putting it soo lightly. O well I will talk to the guy and see what he has to say about that last check up.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (totsie7944)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by totsie7944 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

haha yea thanks for putting it soo lightly. O well I will talk to the guy and see what he has to say about that last check up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah let us know what they say, hopefully you get it back on the road asap.

merry xmas
Old 12-25-2004, 12:23 PM

Yea I am not ever going to trust a PE belt now. But I should really get a better timing belt than OEM. Maybe toda but I need to research it more.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not 100% sure but isn't the Toda belst a PE belt? I think it is.
Also, what exactly happened? Is the timing belt shredded or did it jump teeth? Can you take pics of stuff and post so we can see? Regardless, good luck with the rebuild
Old 12-25-2004, 05:53 PM

Default Re: What to do about repair... (pyromaster)

I am gonna talk to the dealership on Monday. I am gonna askthem to let me have the old belt and take some pics of it. They didn't tell me exactly what happened yet, but the way they made it seem the teeth got chipped or something.

I dunno all the details yet. I will keep you all posted.
Old 12-25-2004, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What to do about repair... (pyromaster)

ok so lets see here....belt snapped or shredded (you dont know which because you havent seen it i assume?)

and the dealership says 4 valves are bent. does this mean they removed and disassembled the head? did they mention anything about the condition of the pistons?

it seems to be the consensus (at least in the all-motor forum) that a properly tensioned OEM belt is just as good if not better than aftermarket...although toda B's are known to be ruthless and sometimes it seems that they'll eat apart ANY belt. anyhow regardless of the belt...if youre running aftermarket cams that are known to break belts, you should check the belt on a REGULAR BASIS. and you might need to replace it much more frequently than you would with a stock engine.

bottom line.
find out what type of belt failure occured and then go from there. this wont be cheap so you might even want to look into other options while you have your wallet open (different cams, aftermarket valves, turdblo, etc)

good luck
Old 12-26-2004, 01:09 PM

Default Re: What to do about repair... (JOHN WAYNE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JOHN WAYNE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok so lets see here....belt snapped or shredded (you dont know which because you havent seen it i assume?)

and the dealership says 4 valves are bent. does this mean they removed and disassembled the head? did they mention anything about the condition of the pistons?

it seems to be the consensus (at least in the all-motor forum) that a properly tensioned OEM belt is just as good if not better than aftermarket...although toda B's are known to be ruthless and sometimes it seems that they'll eat apart ANY belt. anyhow regardless of the belt...if youre running aftermarket cams that are known to break belts, you should check the belt on a REGULAR BASIS. and you might need to replace it much more frequently than you would with a stock engine.

bottom line.
find out what type of belt failure occured and then go from there. this wont be cheap so you might even want to look into other options while you have your wallet open (different cams, aftermarket valves, turdblo, etc)

good luck </TD></TR></TABLE>

i understand where you are coming from with the cams, but I love the todas B's. I am gonna keep them. As for the valves thats one of the things I want to talk to the dealership about because if all 4 are bent, I am going to think about getting performance valves of some sort.

As for the belt. It lasted 24k. I will check it every 10 from now on. Spending $60-$120 for a new belt every 10k is alot better than $3000 when it breaks.

Like i said, I will keep everyone posted on the damage. I will try and take pics.
Old 12-26-2004, 04:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by totsie7944 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As for the belt. It lasted 24k. I will check it every 10 from now on. Spending $60-$120 for a new belt every 10k is alot better than $3000 when it breaks.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you read this thread yet?
Toda B's shredding timing belts...

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=295152
Old 12-26-2004, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What to do about repair... (Chris F)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris F &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Did you read this thread yet?
Toda B's shredding timing belts...

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=295152</TD></TR></TABLE>

iirc it's install error
Old 12-26-2004, 04:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What to do about repair... (1GreyTeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1GreyTeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

iirc it's install error</TD></TR></TABLE>

Depends on who you asked, there's quite a few people with Toda B's (some with aftermarket valve springs) with dead timing belts.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the dealer thinks its an OEM belt? Did you say you had a shop put in a PE belt?

So, are you saying you think the shop douped you and put in an OEM belt? wouldn't this be the shops fault then?

are YOU sure it was a PE belt?
Old 12-27-2004, 03:16 PM

Default Re: (dk127)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dk127 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the dealer thinks its an OEM belt? Did you say you had a shop put in a PE belt?

So, are you saying you think the shop douped you and put in an OEM belt? wouldn't this be the shops fault then?

are YOU sure it was a PE belt?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea I am 100% sure its a PE belt. the dealership knows now that it is a PE belt, they didn't know before.

As for the belt snapping, I have some new information for you all. The mechanic there that I know found out what cause it. it was NOT the toda b's. There was a bolt, i can't remember which one, that came loose and fell down in the engine. It got caught in the belt and caused it to break.

So the PE is still good in my eyes after finding this out. i may want to put a PE back on now.